Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Game Mode - Escape

Ameretat

Greetings, I'll keep this brief (In theory)

I had the unfortunate time of having a level 45 stalker spawn the other day, while I was leveling a complete set of gear on merc. EVERY item was level 0. 

As such, I got my backside handed to me on a plate, but due to my stubborn pride and not wanting the stalker to defeat me, I tried to flee.

And it was perhaps the most fun I've had in a hell of a long time, with mobs being a pesky obstacle to overcome, having a stalker teleporting left right and center (reminding me of slenderman) throwing knives of doom at me, narrowly avoiding his  arrows of "lol, I win" with slash dash's raining down...

It was nice, to have the stalker actually do just that. Stalk me. An evil, unkillable force with the sole purpose of taking me down, was such a nice change from just running through missions gunning down a few hundred cannon fodder.

The idea would be, to recreate this in a game mode. Maybe not even as a specific mode, just a random chance when you start one, a bit like how the 'weaker' stalker spawns (I dunno, stalker prime for this? Sounds $&*&*#(%& I'm aware, but if the idea is approved, could come up with a better implementation) and changing the objective to just 'survive and escape' with hm...specific loot at the end much like tower runs, as if you're fighting for your life, you ain't gonna be looting or killin'.

Thanks for your time guys!

Edited by Ameretat

+1 and this without a mini map sounds fun to me.

Perhaps. The no minimap idea was generally disliked when it was put in nightmare, perhaps have a minimap, but a chance for your escape route to be compromised, resulting in detours?

LOVING THIS!!!!

i myself dont play warframe at the moment cause tbh, i just got bored for a while, always the same pew pew, no real challenge, just levelling guns....
this however would for sure make me come back to play it, since its just such a unique idea!!:D

Something like this is a very nice idea. If I may, I'd like to quote Bakercompany86 from a different thread as it is a very relevant quote. Might provide a little insight.

My thoughts were similar.  

For endless replayability, 3rd person shooters resort to 1 of 2 things.

A:  PVP, which we won't see

or

B:  Endless Defense.

So you need something PvE based to break the mold.  Or a few things really.  Things people like to complete for the challenge and satisfaction.

This is why I constantly bring up F.3.A.R's "F**KING RUN!" mode.  It was brilliant, different, and even though I was max level I still ran these stages over and over again because they were challenging, and they got my heart pumping like crazy.  Not many games have inspired that feeling in me, and F.3.A.R. was somewhat poorly received unfortunately.  I thought the game was excellent.

So I think it's going to take a few missions like that game mode from F.3.A.R.  Things that are not endless defense, but players really enjoy playing.

DE gave 110% in trying to create multiple mission types with different objectives.  Unfortunately they all boil down to "Sprint to A, Sprint back to B".  With the exception of extermination missions and the defense types.

So we/DE need to come up with some type of gameplay that suits Warframe and can be played indefinitely.

Something like that has been done before. I think it'd be a ton of fun if implemented correctly in this game, Stalker or not.

Maybe having some entity like an invincible swarm of infestation chasing down to consume the players just like the fear 3 "wall of death"?Or an....

INFESTED ANCIENT STALKER?:D

too far. GET OUT OF MY HEAD! but srsly cool idea. maybe lore wise it could be something like: the grinner,to try and amass the power to destroy the tenno, has specially trained assassins to stalk and prey on unwary tenno. 

The mission to extract vital information (*spoiler alert* ITS A TRAP) is a trap set up by the grineer to lure the frames in. With this stalker suddenly hot on your heel you must make a break for the exit as 3-4 assasins chase you down with orokin teleportation technology and superior ... armour... that last bits lame but you get the idea. was just to say why u cudnt just turn around and shoot them. i dunno. YOUR GAME! YOU COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER! but yer i love the idea. +1

Edited by Fardale

maybe lore wise it could be something like: the grinner,to try and amass the power to destroy the tenno, has specially trained assassins to stalk and prey on unwary tenno. 

Possibly, but I was basing it on the existing stalker, who currently...who knows what lore they have in store for him. 

perhaps you're on a ship that has a catastrophic hull breach and slowly the shields are dropping in each adjacent room (power core ruptured as well maybe?) and you must rush to the escape pods before you are sucked out in to the vacuum of space.

Perhaps you are lured to a ship that was then maliciously plummeted in to a volcano or an ocean or something and it's slowly filling up with lava/water. Maybe the ship is inching towards a black hole and u have to get to the other end in order to find escape pods before it's too late.

Edited by cataclysm2

perhaps you're on a ship that has a catastrophic hull breach and slowly the shields are dropping in each adjacent room (power core ruptured as well maybe?) and you must rush to the escape pods before you are sucked out in to the vacuum of space.

Perhaps you are lured to a ship that was then maliciously plummeted in to a volcano or an ocean or something and it's slowly filling up with lava/water. Maybe the ship is inching towards a black hole and u have to get to the other end in order to find escape pods before it's too late.

all good ideas. GIEF MODE. sounds fun.

Yea why not make a defense stalker map. You defend the pod again a horde of stalker each wave :D

Mm, not sure if there's meant to be more than one stalker, if there WERE however, say...a sub-branch of the Tenno that went to 'the dark side' you could have a wounded one that didn't escape, and you have to 'stop his friends' from rescuing him, while an interrogation team arrives.

Defense, with a twist. Maybe even a weekend event to 'gather intel on an unknown enemy'

I had suggested people take a look at F3AR's game mode known as F**KING RUN!.   This is pretty much what you're suggesting, and a perfect fit for Warframe.

And the stalker is just the perfect thing for us to run from, although he'd have to be supercharged somehow as 4 Tenno would destroy him normally =)

EDIT:  I see that someone linked a video to that above, you should watch it!  Probably one of the best things I've ever played in my life.  Pure heart pounding excitement with a perfect level of challenge.

Edited by Bakercompany86

I was thinking you'd be talking about something like this:

You're captured and your weapons taken.  Mission starts and you escape from your cell.  You have to go to four places to get your 1) melee weapon 2) secondary weapon 3) primary weapon and 4) sentinel and then escape.  Obviously, prior to 1) you better go stealth because all you have is an unarmed warframe (perhaps with powers so maybe you could use those for defense.

This would be @(*()$ awesome... Getting captured also sounds cool.

It's a shame i don't believe in DE anymore to actually diverse from their game pattern... Honestly, i think we need new blood on the dev team to mix things up and take them out of this rot of theirs...

I was thinking you'd be talking about something like this:

You're captured and your weapons taken.  Mission starts and you escape from your cell.  You have to go to four places to get your 1) melee weapon 2) secondary weapon 3) primary weapon and 4) sentinel and then escape.  Obviously, prior to 1) you better go stealth because all you have is an unarmed warframe (perhaps with powers so maybe you could use those for defense.

Possibly, fits the same theme as what I was getting at originally, a change from the 'overwhelming power of the Tenno'

Ok, what if you integrate this escape with going to extraction. You steal an artifact. Stalker appears and somehow activates the extraction pod(s) leaving you stranded on a ship, until lotus sends extras. In the mean time you have to run like hell because this stalker can run after you real fast. It would make use of having the wallruns and parkour tricks. For me I honestly have no use for Excalibur's super jump (other then when I'm lazy and I don't want to take the stairs). Plus it plays perfectly with the fact that lotus changes the mission on you so many times. 

"I'm picking up another presence on this ship and its not you. Run Tenno, He seeks to make quick work of you." (something like that would tell you " Oh, shi+! the Stalker is here"

That would add a Metroid Fusion-esque feel to the game that would be fun.