Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicates Quests are too generic maybe?

Himenoinu

I noticed that the only difference - theme-wise - between normal missions and the syndicate ones is the short comm from whatever faction we're helping, so I was wondering if these two things could be implemented:

1) Have the narrative be more syndicate specific. Why are we capturing this or that target, why are we sabotaging this or that location and so on. It could be either the syndicate leader or Lotus briefing us in on the topic. This info could be more and more encompassing as we climb the ranks of the syndicate. I mean, I can understand not being told anything other than "you should survive this" at the start of our cooperation. But towards the end?

2) Add more flavour to the tasks we're performing. Sure, I'm dreaming of meaningfull outcomes of the whole struggle (similar in scope to the armadas that we're involuntarily helping get built), Where we have trial-sized missions becoming available once enough missions have been performed, either to defend or lay siege (kinda like how we take part in the invasions, only without the option to choose sides - unless, of course, we're somehow having the same rank in both.

We'd have, for example in a defensive scenario, a first stage of reinforcing the defenses (with mobile defense mechanics) that would then regularly deploy a syndicate's choice of hunters to our aid, a 2nd stage of sortie styled defense (or stationary one, but with a syndicate specific objective to defend) and ending either with an exterminate mission, if the defense was successfull (and a certain type of rewads) or with a defection styled 3rd stage (saving whatever survivors are still left) and, of course, getting somewhat lower rewards. And all these taking place on tilesets related or belonging to the particular faction we're fighting for.

We'd have, when on the offensive, either an interception mission starting the fun or a capture (to get the last second information about the enemies, leading into a sabotage stage or an assassination and as a 3rd stage we could have a survival mechanic (waiting for extraction after either the target was eliminated or the objective destroyed), or maybe we could be lead towards extraction in a rush-style, emplying our archwings (if the location could offer a logical conduit towards an archwing stage).

But even smaller things could spice it up a bit. How about having the syndicate directly opposed to the one we're assisting sending in support (like the Red Veil sends its operatives during defection missions) that varies in size and strength with the rank we have in both the syndicates? And why not, when the diplomatic standings are horrible, they could even bring some of their allies along. And to make the extra effort worth our time (for those not satisfied with only the role playing), the said reinforcements (the direct enemies) could have a minuscule chance (0.XX%) of dropping items from their faction's offerings (again, tied to the ranks we have in our own syndicate). And have that minuscule change get even smaller as the ranks go up (from say, 0.5% to 0.1% drop chance).

I like the thought of having more theme-based work for syndicate missions.  With the following caveat

8 minutes ago, Himenoinu said:

2) Add more flavour to the tasks we're performing. Sure, I'm dreaming of meaningfull outcomes of the whole struggle (similar in scope to the armadas that we're involuntarily helping get built), Where we have trial-sized missions becoming available once enough missions have been performed, either to defend or lay siege (kinda like how we take part in the invasions, only without the option to choose sides - unless, of course, we're somehow having the same rank in both.

We already have two things going on within Syndicate missions to keep in mind..  The first is to do the objective based on what the syndicate wants.  The other which isn't quite spoken is kill everything and then some.  Remember, not only are we getting syndicate standing for doing the mission, we're also getting syndicate standing for killing everything in the process ensuring you're wearing the syndicate's sigil during the mission. 

I often get through with my daily syndicate reputation points by simply leveling up weapons.  This would be just as quick doing this during syndicate missions as well.  

Other than that caveat..  This seems to be going in the right direction.  

2 minutes ago, MBaldelli said:

The other which isn't quite spoken is kill everything and then some.

That is not our way, Tenno. We must ensure the balance! :D Joke aside, I'm on the highest standings with 4 syndicates and thinking of ways to buddy up with the other two. Gaining affinity while having a regalia equipped isn't flavour. It's an automated task, like you say,

4 minutes ago, MBaldelli said:

I often get through with my daily syndicate reputation points by simply leveling up weapons

I'm talking about us raiding or defending the same spots with 1-2 operatives to assist or annoy us (depending on wether you wanna take a stealthy approach). Our missions are easy as they are, without us getting extra firepower. So nope. We have nothing going on within syndicate missions :D 2 npcs that assist us that we don't have to craft or equip in our gear wheel. Nothing else, mechanically. No syndicate reinforcing our target's defenses or offensive strength. No meaningful information as to why we need to take down the reactor, no consequences of our actions :D

6 minutes ago, Himenoinu said:

That is not our way, Tenno. We must ensure the balance! :D Joke aside, I'm on the highest standings with 4 syndicates and thinking of ways to buddy up with the other two. Gaining affinity while having a regalia equipped isn't flavour. It's an automated task, like you say,

I definitely like what this implies:  each of the syndicates have their themes and their missions and even their objectives in such a way that would explain how their motivations would be counter to other syndicates other than in words and arbitrary bonuses/penalties while running the mission.  Whether this gets implemented or not remains to be seen and it's been promised for as long as Syndicates have been introduced. 

9 minutes ago, Himenoinu said:

I'm talking about us raiding or defending the same spots with 1-2 operatives to assist or annoy us (depending on wether you wanna take a stealthy approach). Our missions are easy as they are, without us getting extra firepower. So nope. We have nothing going on within syndicate missions :D 2 npcs that assist us that we don't have to craft or equip in our gear wheel. Nothing else, mechanically. No syndicate reinforcing our target's defenses or offensive strength. No meaningful information as to why we need to take down the reactor, no consequences of our actions :D

Heh...  You're new.  You missed out on the problems with NPCs and faction AI from when I joined.  Back when I joined the NPC AI were brutal.  Couple this with the fact that hitscan for the factions would actually fire around corners and this would cause a lot of grief for the players.  And if you think that's brutal you missed the experience of being stunlocked to death.  

I'm not at all confident that the AI can be split between factions and syndicate NPCs. it seems all or nothing.  

I won't rain on your parade...  entirely.  They're still good ideas.  About the only thing I can caution at the moment is patience.  There's a laundry list of things that need to be worked on.  I don't think this will be high on the list though.  

5 minutes ago, MBaldelli said:

Heh...  You're new.  You missed out on the problems with NPCs and faction AI from when I joined.  Back when I joined the NPC AI were brutal.  Couple this with the fact that hitscan for the factions would actually fire around corners and this would cause a lot of grief for the players.  And if you think that's brutal you missed the experience of being stunlocked to death.  

New I am indeed. Close to 80 days of Warframe now. And even if the game is not in beta stages, I definitely wouldn't mind these kind of problems occuring, if that would actually lead to a deeper immersion down the road. After all, we're brutal too. Killing the enemies on their spawn points in defense missions isn't really how things should go ey?

Shooting around corners is cheating (unless using Ogris iirc?), so the npcs should be reported to their higher-ups, but I'd very much risk that for a few months rather than just using my imagination to make the whole mission syndicate related (seeing how I actually have my associates hold position as soon as they show up).

But it isn't that difficult, I think. Replace the standard capture target with an opposing faction npc (it would make sense to stop'em from persuading more colonies to join their war efforts). Have opposing faction npcs spawn in the waves that come to destroy the fuel injectors in the sabotage, or have some guarding them room (I'd love some ranting from them as we approach, but that actually takes more work). Factions and syndicates would still be in the same "AI bowl". Aggressive towards us, with just different gear and fashion :D.

And the suggestions aren't written here to be seen implemented on the next patch, ey? I'm quite sure DE thought of improving these in all this time and they will eventually. And I'm even hopefull other aspects will get tended to first (like the much loathed archwing sector). This game is great and it has all the ingredients to become awesome. Might as well take advantage of the fact we are being heard and share my hopes here :D