Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spectra Needs A Buff...

Arlayn

So I am a corpus/ energy weapon nut (heck even the clan emblem sent in has corpus alphabet spelling out Lotus Vanguard like a logo on the boxes in the snow levels) I have an obsession with trying to collect all the energy weapons... I have the prova, supra, and dera... then I got Spectra (eventually will be getting Flux as I am working on that now) Out of the four weapons the Spectra is beyond terrible... its so bad it makes every other secondary weapon just look awesome! The spectra needs more attack power or something... otherwise players just sit there playing laser pointer all day... it just looks silly...

First time I got spectra I decided to try it out on the first three Mercury levels. How did it go? BAD! I stood there for a good sum of time shooting this laser into grineer eyes only to find myself standing there long enough to let those grineer unload a good some of bullets into me. At its base level the Spectra is terrible. Even with a high fusion Serration, fire, ice, lightning, crit... and every other build I could think of... It just made me look like a moron on Xini just standing there pointing lasers at Infested all day...

For an energy weapon that takes forever to build... just about all the other weapons are better... even the flame thrower Ignis is better... I understand its a secondary but I hear Acrid is a secondary too and it rocks... Why is it then we build Spectra (harder to build then Dera and the Dera rocks!) and its absolutely terrible? It just isn't logical to have one weapon out of all the weapons to be THAT BAD... even if it is used for cutting things for construction workers... that didn't stop other sci-fi games from turning them into the best weapons in the game... When I saw it was used for labor duties I was like yeah its going to be like the plasma cutter from Dead Space... NOPE... its far worse... It needs a buff somewhere... whether its a high crit weapon, or its a high DPS weapon. One of the two seem fitting for the Spectra, but just having it so it feels like a laser pointer that will some day eventually kill something is such a bizarre idea for a weapon that's harder to build then most weapons in the game. (considering you need prova, and dera research, and then a ton of Fieldrons, plus a Forma its quite difficult getting all that for a weapon so unworthy to be call clan tech)

If anything the Spectra should just become a Market weapon. It isn't anywhere near Clan tech, or high mastery ranking weaponry... The other Clan Tech weapons rock, and give so many paths to follow... we Already have flux rifle just throw the Spectra into Market you can't kill the game with that... the Spectra is so weak players might actually end up avoiding the chance to build it at all even if the requirements were even easier then when it was a clan weapon, but on the off chance they were just collecting things they might get it... MIGHT.

Edit: did I mention I put a catalyst in it?

edit: whoa... how the hell did I post this in general...

Edited by Arlayn

I used a 100% Barrel Diffusion, 120% Hornet Strike and a Pistol Mutator Mod, no potato. I can't remember if I added anything else.

It was allot of fun at lower levels, but you're absolutely right. I wouldn't think about bringing this thing at all into a Void T3 Defense. It is really odd that a clan-tech weapon is so underwhelming. Sad part is (this is all subjective) I think it's designed beautifully too.

The Spectra's EXISTENCE is just redundant considering we have the Flux Rifle already, not to mention the Corpus still has several times the research weapons than the other two factions even without the Spectra. The Spectra doesn't just need a buff, the Spectra needs to be REWORKED in terms of mechanics completely. And WHY would you put a catalyst on it??

Edit: And I agree with sushi, the Spectra IS designed beautifully. Shame that it's basically an unnecessary Flux Rifle expy.

Edited by Madotsuki

The Spectra's EXISTENCE is just redundant considering we have the Flux Rifle already, not to mention the Corpus still has several times the research weapons than the other two factions even without the Spectra. The Spectra doesn't just need a buff, the Spectra needs to be REWORKED in terms of mechanics completely. And WHY would you put a catalyst on it??

Edit: And I agree with sushi, the Spectra IS designed beautifully. Shame that it's basically an unnecessary Flux Rifle expy.

yeah really why even bother releasing a weapon that underpowered, the same as another gun just a secondary, and for a faction that already has more than both other combined then doubled (2 less than that but u get my point)

Edited by Zoike

It needs to be changed entirely. It's just a worse, old flux rifle. Why bother? Make it do something else.

I know it would have been a rip off but if its used for labor why doesn't it just literally slice off limbs at close range... like have it so you have to get as close as 2x the length of a melee weapon and then it shoots off this slicing burst that cuts enemies in two similar to plasma cutter(but more like a shotgun) in Dead Space but requires you get up close instead of being able to shoot it at long ranges. Now that would make it an interesting tool... Instead of laser pointer mode...

Edit: could even have it shoot out 2 lasers at the same time instead of one like flux.

Edited by Arlayn

I know it would have been a rip off but if its used for labor why doesn't it just literally slice off limbs at close range... like have it so you have to get as close as 2x the length of a melee weapon and then it shoots off this slicing burst that cuts enemies in two similar to plasma cutter(but more like a shotgun) in Dead Space but requires you get up close instead of being able to shoot it at long ranges. Now that would make it an interesting tool... Instead of laser pointer mode...

Edit: could even have it shoot out 2 lasers at the same time instead of one like flux.

I like these ideas very much. It would be very much like a laser version of the Bronco and more suitable for a sidearm concept. Also, in its current state as a mini Flux the 210 base ammo is just too little considering the amount of damage it does. Reworking it in the manner you described while keeping it 210 base ammo just makes more sense.

Edited by sushidubya