The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Excalibur end game viable?

(PSN)obed2004

Question

2 minutes ago, Sader said:

Don't confuse easier to play with higher damage. The chromatic build is simple, but its simplicity is why its so much less damage than mine. That build relies on raw damage and stripping grineer armor to actually do damage. My build happens to work on everything, and has far higher potential damage to boot. 

There's strengths and weaknesses to both builds but my strengths far outweigh that builds strengths. My damage potential is far, far higher. Honestly my damage potential is so high Excalibur himself will start getting one shotted far before I could reach its ceiling. That being said, the playstyle required for my build requires you to play far more aggressive than the stand back and wave your sword build that most chromatic blade setups are. The payoff though, hitting for potentially astronomical damage multipliers, is worth the risk imo.

You can try my build yourself if you'd like, its pretty easy to setup. Maybe experiencing it yourself and you'll see why it's more damage then Chromatic blade could ever hope to put out.

But I have used your build. I used to run with a condition overload and dualstat mod build all the time, and thought it was amazing. But once I got my hands on Chromatic Blade, well, that changed. There is just no comparison. 

I don't really think one is easier to play than the other. Excal using exalted blade plays just one way: blind everything with 2, then spam exalted blade at everything around you.

Ohh yeah it is.
I run it with chromatic blade augment.I run mine with 180% power strenght, stock range and a bit of a negative duration but maxed efficiency.Being able to sustain the exalted blade for hours without having concerns about energy is amazing.Plus i chain radial blind with the exalted part for that extra "stealth/finisher" multiplier.
I maxed my nikana with speeds mods and threw in an unranked life strike.Unranked because if u radial blind the enemys first, the waves will benefit from the finisher multiplier and pop out insane damage numbers, more than enough for the unraked life strike to heal you back after only 1 hit.
I managed to get in void mot crit hits up to ~400k damage.
And in the exilus adapter i use the Rush augment.I run like a headless chicken around blazing fast spamming them waves :)) . 
Usually enemy's above 150 level with my build are easy work for excal.Like really easy.They cant do anything because i blind the hell out of them.And once they are blinded..well u know what happens.

I went for cold status on my frame main energy+full corossive on nikana prime.U can use gas against corpus but honestly, considering the damage numbers u dish out any sort of status effect will do just fine 
PS:dont forget condition overload, its godlike for a good chromatic build 

Edited by GrimDelta

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

But I have used your build. I used to run with a condition overload and dualstat mod build all the time, and thought it was amazing. But once I got my hands on Chromatic Blade, well, that changed. There is just no comparison. 

I don't really think one is easier to play than the other. Excal using exalted blade plays just one way: blind everything with 2, then spam exalted blade at everything around you.

The playstyle you described does not pull max damage out of my build at all, which means you didn't use my build, or anything like it.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Well it described what you did in the video you posted, at least.

Like I said, I handicapped myself on purpose. I didn't use furious javelin or build the combo meter. If I did, my damage would have been triple what you saw.

1 minute ago, Sader said:

Like I said, I handicapped myself on purpose. I didn't use furious javelin or build the combo meter. If I did, my damage would have been triple what you saw.

Well I'd still say you primarily handicapped yourself by not using chromatic blade in the first place.

But the handicap you put on Chromatic Blade was even worse. That build can't be used for both Chromatic Blade and Exalted Blade. 

5 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

But the handicap you put on Chromatic Blade was even worse. That build can't be used for both Chromatic Blade and Exalted Blade. 

The point of the video was to show that losing the damage multipliers from IPS hurt your damage. I'll make a video using both builds at maximum later. It's not gonna end well for chromatic blade though, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Edited by Sader

1 minute ago, Sader said:

The point of the video was to show that losing the damage multipliers from IPS hurt your damage. I'll make a video using both builds at maximum later. It's not gonna end well for chromatic blade though, I can pretty much guarantee that.

You're wrong, though. I assure you, that I can do the same test as you with a chromatic blade build, and do it faster than you will without the chromatic blade. Having done the comparison many times, I absolutely guarantee you that.

Just now, Sader said:

The point of the video was to show that losing the damage multipliers from IPS hurt you your damage. I'll make a video using both builds at maximum later. It's not gonna end well for chromatic blade though, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Your video doesn't serve to prove any points if your build is in favor of Exalted Blade from the start. You proved nothing because your build for Chromatic Blade wasn't even a functional build. 

1 hour ago, Sader said:

Like I said, I can run corrosive with 30x damage. I get the best of all worlds.

IPS (slash, puncture and impact) statuses have higher priority/chance to proc than elementals.

While this means slash procs (which ignores armor) will appear more often than corrosive (removes 25% of prevailing armor permanently each proc) or any other elementals on your build, puncture procs (reduce enemy damage) and impact procs (ragdoll enemy) are just as likely to appear due to Exalted Blade's equal distribution of IPS damage which while you can skew it to slash by putting slash mods will still never guarantee slash procs.

Having high damage even at 30x or 40x will not be too good when most of it is negated by damage reduction by the enemy armor which scales based on enemy level.

This results in pure damage builds eventually being outperformed by pure status builds as enemy armor increases.

What Chromatic Blade really does is at 180% power strength, it results in 100% status.

This means while IPS damage and status procs no longer appear. Elemental status procs are guaranteed.

As such, with a corrosive build, every single hit of the waves or weapon will remove 25% of the target's armor. 

At the same time, damage from the elemental mods and also the element of your choice based on energy colour (which is combined value of the original IPS that was split equally) are dealt to the target.

It will thus result in a more consistent damage than without it where you may get no corrosive and/or slash procs due to bad luck.

55 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

Your video doesn't serve to prove any points if your build is in favor of Exalted Blade from the start. You proved nothing because your build for Chromatic Blade wasn't even a functional build. 

vs

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

You're wrong, though. I assure you, that I can do the same test as you with a chromatic blade build, and do it faster than you will without the chromatic blade. Having done the comparison many times, I absolutely guarantee you that.

Welp both videos are up for you to compare. 

Welp both videos are up for you to compare. 

You're still handicapping yourself with the chromatic build. With status effects the most important thing is to land as many attacks as quickly as possible (to apply as much status as you can). Even though its not ideal, if you swapped the last elemental mod with True Steel you will get better result. True Steel = more crits = added attack speed from berserker.

2 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

The power strength need for the Chromatic Blade build is 180%.

Running it at 145% will not guarantee status procs which would defeat the entire point of using the mod.

His using energy convertion, so picking up the energy orb at start adds another 50% so its fine.

11 minutes ago, Sader said:

vs

Had to slow the video down to actually get a good look at the damage you were doing. The overall dps isn't as ridiculously overwhelming, it's relatively the same once the exalted build gets going. Chromatic has the benefit of dealing all of it's damage almost immediately. So you've basically shown here that your supposed superior high damage build isn't really better than Chromatic Blade. 

2 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

The power strength need for the Chromatic Blade build is 180%.

Running it at 145% will not guarantee status procs which would defeat the entire point of using the mod.

Energy Conversion.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

You're still handicapping yourself with the chromatic build. With status effects the most important thing is to land as many attacks as quickly as possible (to apply as much status as you can). Even though its not ideal, if you swapped the last elemental mod with True Steel you will get better result. True Steel = more crits = added attack speed from berserker.

Once berserk is up it never falls off, there's no point in putting that. 

4 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Here's a quick test. Normally I would have primed pressure point on, but swapped it for regular to match your build:

I think True Steel can be replaced with Organ Shatter. Higher damaging crits is definitely worth more than small crit chance increase that True Steel gives.

1 minute ago, MickThejaguar said:

Had to slow the video down to actually get a good look at the damage you were doing. The overall dps isn't as ridiculously overwhelming, it's relatively the same once the exalted build gets going. Chromatic has the benefit of dealing all of it's damage almost immediately. So you've basically shown here that your supposed superior high damage build isn't really better than Chromatic Blade. 

There are 30,000 damage+ hits in the second video. With most of the Chromatic blades hits being less than 18k. Watch the last enemy who dies in the video. He lost 50% of his health bar in one hit.

My build needs time to ramp up, as I have to build a combo and use furious javelin. But once it does, its damage potential skyrockets. The harder the enemies get, the more status procs they build up, meaning as it gets harder my build ramps harder and harder. 

Like I said before, the chromatic blade build is easier to use, and its consistent. But in the end, its less damage overall.

2 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

I think True Steel can be replaced with Organ Shatter. Higher damaging crits is definitely worth more than small crit chance increase that True Steel gives.

Yeah I think you're right. Might test it later but I just exited the game and can't be bothered to boot it up again :-)

Besides, I think we've answered OP's question and gotten a bit off track by now.