Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would A Cover Mechanic Help Or Hurt?

JerichoFayne

@Bakercompany86
Actually he is talking about something different than pretty much every other proponent of the cover system.

How he presented the idea its either:
You're in cover OR you're in combat.

That would allow people to use cover for steal missions and regenning shields without needing to necessarily affect any balance.

That system would be more campatible with WF than trying to make the a cover system work with the current combat system.

Edited by Tsukinoki

@Bakercompany86

There is different pacing in and out of battle.

A cover system would slow down the fast paced battle system we have in place, and that is what people are against.

Furthere there is the difficulty and balancing issues brought up which no proponents of the cover system has adequitely addressed.

Here is what bugs me.  People keep talking about this fast paced combat.  It's the same as any other 3rd person shooter.  When you're moving from room to room, that's the fast paced part, and the part that gets interrupted by loot hunting.  When in the combat rooms, there is nothing fast paced about it.  It's cover, shoot, move, cover, shoot, move, like any other 3rd person shooter.  Running around those rooms like a madman accomplishes nothing because you still have to stop and shoot your enemies.

So fast paced combat, this is not.  It's just combat.

And as far as the difficulty, by that logic Gears of War would have been the easiest game in the world because there is cover everywhere.  But it wasn't.  And their AI (assuming normal difficulty) was far more inaccurate than Warframes AI, whom are pinpoint snipers with assault rifles.

I guess I'm just missing the logic and evidence from my own personal experiences.

@Bakercompany86

Actually he is talking about something different than pretty much every other proponent of the cover system.

How he presented the idea its either:

You're in cover OR you're in combat.

That would allow people to use cover for steal missions and regenning shields without needing to necessarily affect any balance.

That system would be more campatible with WF than trying to make the a cover system work with the current combat system.

So you're saying cover only when you're not detected, and you can't enter cover once combat is engaged?  So stealth only cover?  I could go along with that actually.  It's a weird concept, but it would work.

@Bakercompany86
Either stealth only cover, which would be very appropriate and would be compatible with the system or basically you hit a button to go into cover and your warframe sheathes his weapon.  You wouldn't be able to shoot or use any warframe abilities until you leave cover, therefore making it useful as a way to either hide or regen shields without making it a way to fight from cover.

That would fix a lot of the problems that would come with balancing it against the run and gun.

So either your in cover, or your actively fighting your enemies.

At least thats my understanding of his idea and how he mentions he hits a button and is against a wall with his weapon sheathed.

@Bakercompany86

Either stealth only cover, which would be very appropriate and would be compatible with the system or basically you hit a button to go into cover and your warframe sheathes his weapon.  You wouldn't be able to shoot or use any warframe abilities until you leave cover, therefore making it useful as a way to either hide or regen shields without making it a way to fight from cover.

That would fix a lot of the problems that would come with balancing it against the run and gun.

So either your in cover, or your actively fighting your enemies.

At least thats my understanding of his idea and how he mentions he hits a button and is against a wall with his weapon sheathed.

Stealth only would be okay.

The other part seems like an idea that would destroy "fast paced gameplay" more than anything.  Stop everything in cover to regenerate.  That's bringing combat to a standstill.