Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help With A "bo" Build.

Lucilius

Question

Okey, so got myself a Bo. Am leveling it up nicely. Liked the fact that one swing hits multiple enemies. But...

...despite having a freezing mod on it, as well as a faster attack mod, and various damage enhancing mods, I still get beat by enemy rifle butts. I mean these guys are frozen and moving slowly...AND THEY GET TO STAGGER ME AND I CAN'T STAGGER THEM?!?!? They are frozen, basically just tapping me with their rifle butts and my Excal staggers - attack disrupted!

Geeeeezzzzzz! Seriously, do you see how dramatic these Tennos smack enemies with the Bo? I hate the fact that I get staggered when I'm the one beating them down with A BIIIIIIG STICK!

What mods does this "BIG" stick NEED to have to be decent? What I mean is this:

I WANT TO SEE ENEMIES (MOBS OF THEM) STAGGER AND FLY WITH EACH SWING.

Edited by Lucilius

16 answers to this question

I preferred a charge build on my Bo when I leveled it way back when so I could play Grineer Bo-ball.

If I were to build it now, I would use:

All Charge speed and charge damage (That's 4 mods: Killing Blow, Rending Strike, Focus Energy, and Reflex Coil), North Wind, Sundering Strike, Fury (for stagger tapping), and that leaves one mod for either pressure point tap damage or a molten impact damage mod.

Shocking Touch is a waste of points IMO.

I preferred a charge build on my Bo when I leveled it way back when so I could play Grineer Bo-ball.

If I were to build it now, I would use:

All Charge speed and charge damage (That's 4 mods: Killing Blow, Rending Strike, Focus Energy, and Reflex Coil), North Wind, Sundering Strike, Fury (for stagger tapping), and that leaves one mod for either pressure point tap damage or a molten impact damage mod.

Shocking Touch is a waste of points IMO.

With Focus Energy, yes it is. But you can stack up the electric damage with Focus Energy and Shocking Touch, right?

With Focus Energy, yes it is. But you can stack up the electric damage with Focus Energy and Shocking Touch, right?

It does, but the enemies weak to electric will die to its damage plus the supplemental AP damage, as their health meters are the lowest among all enemies, making stacking them arguably rather ineffective.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could replace Molten Impact with shocking touch, but 90% would turn into 72% fire damage vs corpus due to resist, compared to 30%x2=60%.

Molten impact is simply just more effective than stacking electric, sad to say.

Edited by AureusVulpes

Damage mods: pressure point, molten hit, north wind, shocking hit, suddering strike, focus energy, rending strike.

Utility mods: Fury

P.S: all maxed :)

That's bad, very bad. You don't want all three elemental types like that. Just use one dedicated slot for whatever enemy your currently up against. That way you save mod space for more general mods.

The only one I would keep on 24/7 would be Armour Penetration because of how general that damage type is.

That's bad, very bad. You don't want all three elemental types like that. Just use one dedicated slot for whatever enemy your currently up against. That way you save mod space for more general mods.

The only one I would keep on 24/7 would be Armour Penetration because of how general that damage type is.

I disagree. Elemental damage is useful regardless of what enemy you're fighting because elemental effects can cause CC, such as panic from being set on fire, convulsing from being electrocuted, and freeze damage is NEVER a bad idea since it slows your target.

Not to mention it's more damage.

Also: there are very few melee mods to choose from, and most weapons have a clear and distinct usefulness pattern, such as a charge weapon or a fury weapon. You wind up with pretty consistent build sets. It only gets interesting when you have something like the Bo, which has innate stagger on melee hits, which allow you to tap-stagger and then charge atk for the big dmg.

Bo is a far more technical weapon than most people realize.

It does, but the enemies weak to electric will die to its damage plus the supplemental AP damage, as their health meters are the lowest among all enemies, making stacking them arguably rather ineffective.

I suppose if you wanted to, you could replace Molten Impact with shocking touch, but 90% would turn into 72% fire damage vs corpus due to resist, compared to 30%x2=60%.

Molten impact is simply just more effective than stacking electric, sad to say.

That, and Corpus crewmen actually tend to panic when set on fire. So, even if a weapon lacks electric damage but has fire or cold mods, they's still be effective against Corpus Crewmen.

Edited by Lucilius

Even against Infected?

I disagree. Elemental damage is useful regardless of what enemy you're fighting because elemental effects can cause CC, such as panic from being set on fire, convulsing from being electrocuted, and freeze damage is NEVER a bad idea since it slows your target.

Not to mention it's more damage.

Also: there are very few melee mods to choose from, and most weapons have a clear and distinct usefulness pattern, such as a charge weapon or a fury weapon. You wind up with pretty consistent build sets. It only gets interesting when you have something like the Bo, which has innate stagger on melee hits, which allow you to tap-stagger and then charge atk for the big dmg.

Bo is a far more technical weapon than most people realize.

Wo wo wow...hold on. Bo has "innate" stagger on melee hits? Never happened to me. I would even say, based on my experience that Bo has NO stagger-capabilities innate or otherwise.

I got it because I thought it has innate stagger. I get crowded upon and I use the Bo. I hit around 90% if not 100% of all the enemies lynching me with my first swing and I keep on swinging, they get frozen and move slow, but their being slow isn't stagger and so their slow melee attacks connects with me and I'M THE ONE WHO STAGGERS. What the heY?

That's why I am thinking I need all if not most damage enhancing mods so that enemies might freak-out being on fire or electrocuted, etc.

Sad to say, the Bo, based on my experience, does not stagger enemies. :(

Am I doing anything wrong here?

Edited by Lucilius

Even against Infected?

Generally. Armour Piercing damage is good against everything except Infested Chargers; ironically they resist it (while still being "made" out of Grineer who are weaker than anything else to Armour Piercing damage). It does full damage against Ancients and the Corpus variants. So only if you find yourself not killing the Chargers fast enough should you pick Fire over it; ideally you'll have both.

I run with Armour Piecing 24/7 and then have a dedicated slot where I switch between Electricity and Fire for Corpus and Infested missions respectively. Against Grineer it doesn't really matter as your Armour Piercing will eat them alive anyway.

Well, technically it makes sense since only the animation is weakened and not the attack itself...

Technically or no, its still annoying. I'd like to trade places with the enemy if that's the case. Let me be the one moving slow, but interrupting their movements 95% of the time.

Physics-wise it isn't or shouldn't be. Moving slow does not create enough kinetic energy to...dangit, what's "patalsikin" in English?