Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please allow the Mouse and Keyboard in the menu with a controller plugged in

Sarge945

Hey! So I do like the controller integration into the game, however with hybrid-mode controllers such as the Steam controller it can cause issues if the Keyboard and Mouse are disabled in the menu.

Can we please get an option to allow simultaneous input from both methods?

EDIT 21/2/2018:

Also, to add to this bug report, when using Steam Input, all actions are integrated except for the quick menu (normally the TAB key) showing rewards, progression etc for the current mission. It is easy to simply bind a button to TAB, but it doesn't automatically switch to the Menu action set like it normally does in menus. Whoever did the Steam Input integration should probably have a look at that oversight, but other than that, fantastic job!

Edited by Sarge945
New Bug

I would love if the Y-axis was independent from the controller and the mouse by the way.
I switch back and forth at times and I invert the Y-axis on the controllers thumb stick.
as it is now when you switch the settings in the option menu it's a global change to both controller and mouse.

Edited by Ahcruna

3 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

That's the fault of Steam's Controller API, not Warframe.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's got nothing to do with the Steam Controller API. The same problem would happen if I wanted to, say, use a regular controller for normal gameplay, then switch over to the mouse in the menus for extra efficiency. That's not possible without unplugging the controller or disabling it completely.

Quite a lot of games nowadays support simultaneous gamepad and mouse input since there is really no disadvantage to having it, and it allows people in niche situations to enjoy their game a little more, and since the code for handling both input devices is already there, I doubt it would take long to implement either.

That situation with the Y axis should probably be addressed as well. Again, in a lot of other games, keyboard/mouse controls and controller controls are kept completely seperate and don't overlap at all, including inversion, sensitivity, toggles/holds, etc.

@Ahcruna, one workaround might be to run the game through steam, and use the Steam controller config in the overlay to invert the Y axis at the input level, which should mean it's properly inverted, no matter what controller you use, without touching the in-game setting.

Edited by Sarge945
More info

12 minutes ago, Sarge945 said:

I don't mean to be rude, but it's got nothing to do with the Steam Controller API. The same problem would happen if I wanted to, say, use a regular controller for normal gameplay, then switch over to the mouse in the menus for extra efficiency. That's not possible without unplugging the controller or disabling it completely.

Quite a lot of games nowadays support simultaneous gamepad and mouse input since there is really no disadvantage to having it, and it allows people in niche situations to enjoy their game a little more, and since the code for handling both input devices is already there, I doubt it would take long to implement either.

Sorry, I just tested this. My controller is always plugged in. The only time I ever had an issue with my controller taking over was when I was forced to use the Steam Controller API for a game that doesn't have proper controller support. With that on, Warframe would respond to nothing but the controller. With that off, I never had any problems. I always play Warframe with the mouse and keyboard, and just for testing, I used my controller on the Orbiter and in a mission, went to the menu by pressing the start button, and then moved the mouse, no problem. Played the entire mission with the controller, wiggled the mouse around, the camera would respond, no problem whatsoever.

Heck, I don't even have a proper controller (as in X360/XBone), I just have a cheapo controller that got remapped using XOutput. Without Steam Controller API turned on, I literally don't have the issues you are mentioning. So, I dunno, maybe it's something on your side, because I don't think that should happen.

I just tried it without the steam Overlay, and had the same issue - cannot click on menu buttons and have to navigate with the keyboard. The mouse works fine for combat though.

Also, to add to this bug report, when using Steam Input, all actions are integrated except for the quick menu (normally the TAB key) showing rewards, progression etc for the current mission. It is easy to simply bind a button to TAB, but it doesn't automatically switch to the Menu action set like it normally does in menus. Whoever did the Steam Input integration should probably have a look at that oversight, but other than that, fantastic job!

Edited by Sarge945
New bug

On 2/21/2018 at 3:50 AM, Sarge945 said:

I just tried it without the steam Overlay, and had the same issue - cannot click on menu buttons and have to navigate with the keyboard. The mouse works fine for combat though.

It's not the overlay. You actually have to turn off steam controller API (Big Picture Mode > Settings > Controller Settings > Uncheck PS4, Xbox and Generic Gamepad Configuration support). Unless you are using an actual steam controller, in which case... I dunno, ask Steam Support to improve their API?