The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Frequent and random freezing while in-game

Jaytoo

Every now and then whether in missions or in the orbiter or in menus my game will freeze with the monitor response time going upwards of 100ms+ then after a couple of seconds falling back down to <8ms. The freezes seem to happen only on the graphics side since the game still plays sounds.  I haven't found a pattern when it freezes, it doesn't seem to depend on game environment either. It doesn't matter if my screen is full of enemies or if I just stare at a blank wall. I didn't notice these freezes before U22.14.x.

Specifications:
Intel Core i7-5930k
32GB 2133Mhz DDR4
Asus X99 Deluxe
2x EVGA GTX 980Ti (SLI disabled for this game) Driver 388.13
EVGA 1200W P2 PSU

I have also seen this at the same time that Jaytoo started seeing it. Very annoying!

Specs:

• AMD FX  8350
  • 16GB 2200mhz
  • Sabertooth 990fx R2
  • Evga GTX 980 Ti
  • Evga 850W PSU
Edited by Synicism

Chalk +1 up on that list. Coincidentally, it happened just as I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 970 to a 1080 Ti, so I was thrown in quite a loop for a bit.

Intel Core i7 4790k
16GB 1600Mhz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Formerly Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce)
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
CoolerMaster G650M 650W

I've played other games extensively since the GPU upgrade but only experience the random freezing issue in Warframe.

Edited by Trowicia

Same here. Since the last update i get random freezes for 1-2 seconds. 
Did a 25min Survival on Elara and had this happen about 4 times. Did some bounties on the Plains yesterday and this happened about every 5 minutes. 

• I5 2500k 4.3Ghz
  • 8GB DDR3-1600
  • GTX 980 1.5Ghz Driver 391.01
  • Windows 10
Edited by Gentlemoa

Same. Got this Problem scince the release of the Plains. It most happens on the plains when im doing a bullet jump. But i also had it random in my Orbiter or on normal missions.

I7 4770k

16gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GTX 980 TI 

Win 10

What i did so far:

Clean Remove of GPU driver

Fresh install of Win 10

Delete the Game

Running GPU in Debug mode

Downgrade ingame Settings 

deactivate DX10/11 on WF luncher

Edited by Travis_Hale
more info

Guys do you, by any chance, have a game preordered and preloaded in Steam? Like FFXV? 

I do have FFXV ready and preloaded and Steam seems to be the issue here. Another user on the Steam Forums commented that Steam is causing this issue because it keeps checking the preload every few minutes. 
People at the Vermintide 2 forums have the same issue. 

If this applies to you, this is what another user commented: 

Set steam to not update while playing a game and set the preloaded game to update on launch instead of autoupdate, that fixed the issue for me.

Just cancelling the "update" (Hitting the x a few times on the download tab in steam until it says "not queued" is also supposed to work. No that doesnt work. 

I tried disabling updates while ingame and i dont have any freezes anymore. God damn it Valve. 

Edited by Gentlemoa

Just now, Gentlemoa said:

Guys do you, by any chance, have a game preordered and preloaded in Steam? Like FFXV? 

I do have FFXV ready and preloaded and Steam seems to be the issue here. Another user on the Steam Forums commented that Steam is causing this issue because it keeps checking the preload every few minutes. 

yeah i did preloaded it...

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gentlemoa:

Just cancelling the "update" (Hitting the x a few times on the download tab in steam until it says "not queued" is also supposed to work. 

No i don´t preordered any game. I also tried the non steam Version of the game. The Problem is still the same.

Must be something between Nvidia and Warframe. The gpu Driver crashes and does not restore

5 hours ago, Gentlemoa said:

Just cancelling the "update" (Hitting the x a few times on the download tab in steam until it says "not queued" is also supposed to work. 

You would be absolutely right - I have FFXV pre-ordered and Steam keeps auto-checking if it's release day. I'm almost certain that's the culprit (for me, at least)

Thanks, @Gentlemoa!

6 hours ago, Gentlemoa said:

Same here. Since the last update i get random freezes for 1-2 seconds. 
Did a 25min Survival on Elara and had this happen about 4 times. Did some bounties on the Plains yesterday and this happened about every 5 minutes. 

This story also checks out because I ran the stopwatch app on my phone the moment I got a hitch and around the 5 minute mark is when I experienced another hitch. This hitching happened on Fallout 4 for me as well.

Edited by Trowicia

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem but I don't run WF through steam as I heard it could, ironically, increase chances of a freeze. Only started happening within the last week or so.

Also does it fix it's self as I end up having to relog

Edited by Badboysei

It appears that Nier:Automata on PC was having similar issue. Here's an extensive discussion of it on steam forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135511913382921167/?ctp=94

And here's a quote 

"No driver updates from Nvidia or AMD can do anything about the core of the issue. The main problem is a limitation in the game engine itself, in that it does not support recovering from a display driver crash.

If Platinum Games just implemented support in the engine to recover from display drivers then the issue would be negligible and only result in a short break before the game and everything came back.

But as it is now, AMD and Nvidia can't do anything since from their perspective it's pretty much playing whack-a-mole every time a bug occurs and trying to forcefully reverse-engineer the behavior of the game engine itself. And even then they would not be able to solve all issues, since at least some of them are due to thread desynchronization between CPU cores (partially mitigated by limiting what cores and how many the game can use), which they have no control over.

Basically we're never going to see a full solution on this issue. Nvidia and AMD have done what they can from their end. They will never dedicate enough resources to fix it completely since there's no money in it for them nor can they even solve it completely without access to the source code of the game.

It is simply a bad port that suffers from major limitations and bugs that will never be fixed."

Here's a similar discussion related to Overwatch. I don't have this problem in Overwatch mind you.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17613414112?page=1

Edited by BaronKreight

Hello guys, I would like to describe my issue and the fix you won't really like:

It started happening some time ago on my laptop asus rog g551jm 16gb ram 860gtx geforce, I couldn't exactly pinpoint the time because it looked exactly like an overheating issue,

mind you my os is win 10 enterprise edition.

The way it looked was like it was caused by the sound card (sound was stuttering sharply at every freezeframe) and also it seemed to point in overheating direction as well as it wasn't as noticeable at first and occured far less times in orbiter but it made a slideshow out of the game in a big fight and the funny thing was that the steam was still showing 50-60 fps while it happened.

Now I did various things to try to fix that, from ejecting battery, setting power plan, uninstalling wifi/bluetooth drivers, reinstalling graphics card, setting various things in nvidia control panel and in game graphics options, disabling sounds, to killing everything on my way in task manager, putting high priority, changing affinities on cpu threads, monitoring cpu usage and none of them worked nor helped.

If the issue I described looks like the one you have - what fixed it for me was formatting my pc. But it doesn't end there, oh no... it was freezeless 2 days of delight until MID GAME my pc restarted to bring "important" os updates....

After the updates game gradually started lagging just a little and became unbearable, but it didn't happen all at once so it wasn't so easy to notice, but I went to add or remove apps and deleted all the updates I found that installed that day and nothing was hindering me since.

I know it's not the best resolution to the issue. I want to add that only Warframe was having this kind of issue and I could play GTA V for example with no freezes at all and the last but not least sorry for the butchery of the english language :).

I have the same issue, when I was playing, especially multiplayer (sometimes single player), the game started to not update UI/info. But when it started, I can still move and attack and get loot. After a while, the game froze. Then after about 2-3 minutes, it said disconnected and either removed me from the game or turned it into a single player game. When all of these were happening, my hard drive was constantly making a grinding sound, like it cannot go through certain disk area and keep trying.

The worst part for me was that I kept playing after those freezes, and ignored my disk grinding sound because when the game became normal, those sounds went away.

Finally, after I quit the game later, my steam crashed, and my explorer crashed. And the grinding sound appeared again. I had to restart the computer but it was stuck on the restart screen. I forced to close the computer and started it. Then I ran D drive disk check. Bad news was that it said found disk error and need to fix it. I fixed the disk error, then restarted the computer. Everything looked normal now, no grinding sound anymore. So I tried to play warframe again for testing, but the game was gone in steam, even though it was still in my D drive. I looked the game up and tried to play it, and steam forced me to redownload the game.

So i'm downloading the game again now. I hope this could at least fix the freeze and hard drive grinding issue,

TL;NR: If warframe freezes and your computer starts to making grinding sound, stop the game immediately and go disk scan the installed hard drive in case it's corrupted by warframe or steam. I suggest no matter what's the scan result, reinstall warframe to be safe. (at least to comfort yourself)

I hope either DE or Valve can resolve this soon. Cause it sounds like a serious bad bug, Especially it could affect our hardwares.

Good luck Tenno...I think I need to afk for a while and wait for the possible hotfixes.

Edited by Hurricanchaser