Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arid Fear From A New Player's Eyes

Zionarbadon

Hi,

I just started about two weeks ago.  When I saw the arid fear event I was pretty excited to have an event already(even if I was like, "what's a tenno?" haha).  

Anyhow, I thought that the event was going to be 6 days like many others.  I did notice the progression bars, but I just thought that when it got to 100% on all the bars (I didn't even realize that 3 would be the last bar, I had no idea).

We have a clan but only of four people.  I solo farmed a bunch of keys and so did my other clan members since we dont often play all 4 at the same time, but we were planning on doing so tonight.  Unfortunately it just ended and we weren't even able to use or keys.

As a new player, how can I make sure I understand the events timeline/completion in the future?  I'm not sure where to go to look up that information.  I didn't notice it on the wikia article I looked at after the event started.   

I feel that communication could have been better on when the event was supposed to end, but maybe that information was there and I just didn't know where to look because i'm relatively new.  

Also, if it ended so quickly because people were trying to win something/be the top clan would it be possible (if you're going to keep the same event model in the future) to give someone a dimishing impact on the progression bar so that if someone gets over 1000 points they dont stop 9 other people from having a chance at mods?  

I'm not really mad or anything, just want to make sure my friends and I are set for next time.  

Your usual best bet is from several different sources.

The News and Announcements sub-forum ( https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/2-news-announcements/ ) and check the stickies or recent postings.

They also have a Facebook and Twitter account.

Twitter : https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/PlayWarframe

You might also check out their Youtube channel for videos on Warframe suit introductions and Tenno Reinforcement (Upcoming weapons/mods/frames)

Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWarframe

Usually, Forum is enough as a source of information. News and announcement section is sufficient in this regard.

I think DE can do better in term of communication since many players assumed that the event was going to last 6 days. It's now clear that 6 days was deadline which players had to complete the event. Frankly, apart from lore page, I think DE should add operation description and condition of winning/losing in the game itself as well. Many players don't visit the forum for official information and make a lot of assumptions about how the event 'should' be based on fact that favored their point of view.

To be honest I kinda wish that DE would set up a mass-emailer for those who opt-in for it for pre-knowledge of an upcoming event. Would take a bit of work, but if players were to opt-in for the news and emails, it'd allow more players to be informed about these events and updates.

Sorry to see that you and your clan caught one of this game's biggest problems full in the face.

It just isn't friendly to new players, especially to new players who aren't driven to find everything on their own. I think I understand the feel that DE was going for when they planned this event's structure, but it didn't quite work out in some respects.

Personally, I felt like the information was there, but it wasn't made available in a way that everyone could understand. Everyone who didn't interpret it "the right way" was placed at a disadvantage. Now, this was only a problem because the event was structured with a Limited Point Pool. In other words, there were only so many available points before the event would end and rewards would no longer be available.

I disagree with that design choice. It shoved all of us into a race if we wanted those rewards. I don't want to feel like I'm competing with everyone who isn't in my immediate squad. I think you're justified in feeling hoodwinked, and I wouldn't be surprised if some players felt pretty burned by the whole thing.

That is where Live Story fails, and Guild Wars 2 crashed and burns.

As a new player, you have nothing but the backstory of what happened to go by, and you literally miss content if you don't play.

Whoever thought "Oh hey, let's work for content that disappears in a week is a great idea!" needs to be sent to another planet.

Whoever decided "Oh hey, let's do content that Is already here, but disappear in a week!" needs to be fired from Digital Extreme's office.

As a new player, you have nothing but the backstory of what happened to go by, and you literally miss content if you don't play.

Whoever thought "Oh hey, let's work for content that disappears in a week is a great idea!" needs to be sent to another planet.

Whoever decided "Oh hey, let's do content that Is already here, but disappear in a week!" needs to be fired from Digital Extreme's office.

I think Live story is the way to create a more believeable universe. As an online game, Warframe should utilize the best way to deliver new content and in this case, Arid Fear did the job quite well by mixing event, lore, and new content together. Something I want to see a developer doing for a very long time.

However, I don't think that players are much bothered with the fact that they missed the event. Many are complaining about the reward which the event used as incentive. They falsely believe that these mods won't be available later in the game. Frankly, new players who join Warframe in August 14th will get Phobos without investing time running alert and doing CV runs, at the expense of access to these mods.

I think Live story is the way to create a more believeable universe. As an online game, Warframe should utilize the best way to deliver new content and in this case, Arid Fear did the job quite well by mixing event, lore, and new content together. Something I want to see a developer doing for a very long time.

However, I don't think that players are much bothered with the fact that they missed the event. Many are complaining about the reward which the event used as incentive. They falsely believe that these mods won't be available later in the game. Frankly, new players who join Warframe in August 14th will get Phobos without investing time running alert and doing CV runs, at the expense of access to these mods.

However, this content that could have been a thing in the entire game is now gone forever.

And, the lore and replay ability value of the new players is gone too.

It's really on DE to explain this stuff, and as Steve said, they will try to do so in the future.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/94239-operation-arid-fear-completed/?p=1058832

I didn't have a chance to be properly perplexed or even irritated before DE Staff make beautiful, onion-y posts like these. Every time I do my level best to be disappointed...

Thanks, I will keep an eye on sources like these forums and facebook.

I understand the information was out there, I just thought I understood how it worked (thinking that it was 6 days) and so I didn't think anything about digging farther.

I will just have to chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on with the new knowlege.

You know, when I rocket-jumped all the way through another room to evade boiling my a♥♥ in lava I dreamed about live six years game about WW II.

It never happened.

Your usual best bet is from several different sources.

The News and Announcements sub-forum ( https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/2-news-announcements/ ) and check the stickies or recent postings.

They also have a Facebook and Twitter account.

Twitter : https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/PlayWarframe

You might also check out their Youtube channel for videos on Warframe suit introductions and Tenno Reinforcement (Upcoming weapons/mods/frames)

Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayWarframe

This is exatcly the reason why people are upset.

Imposible to get every vital detail about the event in one place... you need to spend long time to do the research and read between the lines in a lore text and guess wether it will end early or not and wether there might be announced a reward at 1am on a monday as the event end at 22pm.

Everything that could posible be upsetting people where done in this event. I personally wasted my entire evening on a monday, due to the timing of the steps of this event, and that is not why I play games, not even Warframe. Everything I earned ingame last night, I could have earn more off by ignoring the event and reward and actually have enjoyed at the same time.

As a player who has put in at least 600 hours and part of the Warframe community I want to apologize for the lack of complete information regarding this event. Information that should have been given at the very beginning should have been about the 3 mods and the requirements to obtain those mods and what would happen if the event completed early. What ended up happening is many people, including myself, thought "oh another grindfest for what a holo emblem and new tileset, that we all knew they were going to release anyway no matter what they said. So many either did the minimum or did not even bother and maybe went away for the weekend. This in itself shows how badly DEVs do not know their community, then the following afternoon they give the info about the mods and the progress bar goes crazy and then slows down on Sunday. This led to many conspiracy ideas that DEVs were tweaking the progress bar because they did not realize how fast the event was going to be completed. As the event completed early anyway then the firestorm of questions about the time stated in the original info was thrown back and clamoring for more time. To me this lack of complete information for an event that should have been more of a celebration for a new tileset was deplorable. I'm all for surprises but unfortunately this community really needs all the info or else there will be more instances of people leaving for the weekend or low participation.

I was also in the boat of "If it's going to last six days, I have time to do it Monday night." We had company all weekend; having just a weekend event is difficult for people who have active social lives or perhaps work weekends.

Doesn't make me optimistic that they're thinking about the average player. Hard core players have been shouting about how, "If you cared, you'd be farming it for the first 10 hours of the event and not worry about it." Seriously?

Why can't the game appeal to hard core and noob alike?

Well, i still get a badge at least(I think). I'm happy to hear the mods will become drops. :) It's cool that we unlocked the new area too, but i haven't made it that far yet. As I said, I'm not mad, just hope communication/my understanding is better next time so my clan and I know how to plan. :)

Another piece of info about the Phobos sabotage mission, once you complete the sabotage a timer goes on and if you don't get back in time or get loss it's mission fail. This again shows a unbalance for the type of player they are creating for. Even with 600 hrs under my belt I still consider myself a casual player, I like to enjoy my game, I don't mind some get your heart racing type of play, but on the whole I don't want to play a game that will frustrate a new player and stress him out during gameplay. Just thought you might like to know about that going in.

Well, i still get a badge at least(I think). I'm happy to hear the mods will become drops. :) It's cool that we unlocked the new area too, but i haven't made it that far yet. As I said, I'm not mad, just hope communication/my understanding is better next time so my clan and I know how to plan. :)

It's good to see someone new to the game posting on forums to offer clear, calm commentary on this. Thanks Zionarbadon.