Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tutorial overhaul for new players

(XBOX)KSI Azzazle

When I first started playing warframe back in 2014. It felt like I was pretty much thrown to the wolves. Not a whole lot felt it was explained. I quit for about a year. Came back and it didnt seem like it was very friendly towards me in 15-16...so I quit again only to come back late 2017. I probably wont quit thanks to my clan this time. Thanks to them I feel the game is much more friendly and less overwhelming. 

I feel this may alienate new players and certainly feel it alienated me. I think it needs to be fixed. 

I have never seen a lotus guide. I think though I know of a fix for this issue. Remove tutorials from the codex and instead place them on a glowing statue on the orbiter. Maybe next to that infernal seemingly pointless scanner that you can turn on or off and seems to have no purpose. Maybe rework the tutorials and expand them to include other aspects of the game not already covered in the current tutorial system. 

A great example would be eidolons. 

After a match with 3 individuals mr5 joined my pub match while i was farming for gems and ores. They tried to take down the terylast. I tried to explain to them how that type of fight goes but they were lost and bewildered. They quit the game, not the match the game itself and vowed to never play warframe again because it was overwhelming and a sense of hostility to new players. 

In your example of how you helped the new players, you sortof did the opposite of what you were trying to do. Helping players means unveiling systems to them slowly, as they can understand them. 

Explaining an endgame raid boss is not the way to introduce new players to Warframe - ESPECIALLY if you spoil the Second Dream. That's just a sin.

Unfortunately players have been trained to want everything handed to them on a plate by 2 decades of extreme hand-holding since the consoles decided to try and gain an audience among casual gamers. They simply can't be bothered to figure anything out by themselves. Many of my generation called this back when the PS1 launched and we were right. Before then you were usually lucky if you got a paragraph or two telling you what the game was even about.

Head on over to this thread as [DE]DeackardPain has been tasked with the new player experience.