Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Semi-soloist, hell to extend the map?

GratuitousLurking

I'm a recentish recruit to Warframe, and I've noted a bit of an issue when it comes to advancing the star map.

Now, I'm pretty sure this would be moot if I had someone else I was playing with, or a larger group of players I was groupable with at a time, but at the current stand of the closed beta, Warframe is very hard to extend the Solar Map and get to resources one needs. Especially when you are first entering the map area or a planet.

I've personally not felt like playing Solo to many missions, due to just not feeling I'm strong enough yet or seeking better gear (mostly the former though, as I have yet to get to the point where I can grab them reactors). With that said, most the activity in the game is often focused on one or two areas of a map: The maps Extermination mission, and the map's Final Boss. Whereas I may be stuck at, say, Eurasia or Gradivus for several days as I wait for someone, anyone to start a mission there, or sit on the mission and wait for it to eventually start me in it, me to expire, and the failures involved loop continuously.

Not sure if it's just my newness, or just the factors that only the 'popular' sectors of a planet ever get players. It's easy enough to find a team to grind out parts once I get to the last level- or last few levels- towards a boss encounter, but heck forbid if I actually need to grind up to max level and 50+ mods for me to solo there in the first place. That's not fun and it kinda soils the game on the edges once you gotten useful things from a specific sector.

Ive written about this before. Currently there is an issue in the game that there are a few locations people like to farm (boss missions, missions with a good number of enemies/boxes for farming materials) and a whole lot that people only play once to unlock then ignore. This results in it being difficult for a new player (or any player in some cases) to unlock further.

Nobody seemed to like my suggestion of adding incentive for people to play the other missions in a sector.

also dont count out careful soloing

dont rush mobs, clear rooms, and double back to cover yer flanks

bring extra ammo boxes and health recovery items

the only missions that used to give me trouble were some defense and some bosses (stunlock and super shields), all others I could usually slowly work through

also dont count out careful soloing

dont rush mobs, clear rooms, and double back to cover yer flanks

bring extra ammo boxes and health recovery items

I've attempted careful soloing before, and gotten mixed results on easier sectors (it's the entire reason I got through Mercury after I got my AkLato), but this becomes extremely difficult to pull off in missions like Deception or Spy due to the limiter of only your pistols as you carry the parcel. Add in nigh-infinate respawning enemies and it's a long grind that can be easily ended by something simple as two well in-sync Stomper Moas or running into a superheavy Grineer low on ammo. Also, in order to get Ammo Boxes sans the lottery you need Platinum, something I'm not sure I can afford right now.

Admittedly if I wasn't so hard-pressed on entering such a hard sector I'd probably not have as much issues, however Earth is the only location for Nerodes and the Trinity Frame, both of which I either want or need for crafting purposes. Probably doesn't help I chose Volt for my starter frame, now I've read about how rubbish'd it got nerfed :S

volt is still a classy girl

you don't want trinity, shes too slow now. I play only female warframes (and volt, since he counts), and shes probably the worst off of the lot.

What you need is a good weapon. I reccomend a boltor, or bolto. A bolto or akbolto are good secondaries in that they are probably the best secondary for when you need your secondary to be your primary. Boltor is good because even with its nerf it still has armor penetration right out the door and makes fighting grineers at low levels with bad gear much easier. But yeah, suitcase carrying missions are a huge issue, something i specifically mentioned when i explained the need for something that encourages people to play through these missions again.

Also consider getting a scindo. Its probably the best multi-purpose melee weapon in the game.

Of course im pretty sure everything i just reccomended requires something you can only get from earth.

Not thought of grabbing the Scindo, mainly as I was planning the Fraggor for lolarmorpierce. One of the reasons I want to rush Earth was because I already got the plans for Boltos and Boltors (and eventually AkBolto), but once again, Neurodes are required for pretty much any ranged gun it seems. I also got Ember's full blueprint now, and it was either Trinity or Mag next, so I guess I'll start my way to Mag's boss area next :S The reason I was aiming for Trinity was for the healing stuff add-ons, but I guess with all the speed nerfs/trades and the fact I'm already lagging behind with Volt from all the lootan....

As for the gear I got right now, I got the Sturn, Latron (the only thing with a Fire mod, oh irony), Aklato, an Akfurish in the builder for a few hours from now, and the Cronos. I'm allready expecting to have to spend some of that starting plat extending my weapon bay.

In the past month I've cleared the entire game solo with a Volt (Just finished the two new areas this week), using Braton/Lex/Cronus - I had to do a bit of grinding here and there, and get some tactics help from the forums, but it's do-able, and honestly I feel like the Volt is one of the best frames to solo with, even with the nerfs. You can turboboost out of sticky situations or just plain dash through a lot of levels, and the utlimate will clear multiple rooms of grineer or corpus if you're being overwhelmed. The shield wall is currently completely bent against bosses - my strategy for most was to just lure them into a position where they will stand still and shoot me, drop wall, and blaze away with the Braton until they went down. Shock is useless, but other than that the kit seems strong, especially with the new Volt upgrade tree that gives a million mod slots.

I think fragor is the exact same thing as the scindo with a different skin. Their stats are the same anyway.

For solo play trinity can be nice for her self healing ultimate and link which can let you enter melee mode for a period of time, works great with a scindo to swing away at dogs since they wont be able to hurt you or stunlock you with that combo (be warned its duration is kind of bad untill its maxed).

Ember is actually pretty good for soloing of the female frames, she has a damage resist skill, a nice way to deal with too many infested, and shes not super slow like trinity so she can kite things. I dont use her much because she looks like a chicken.