Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Controls for turning off specific sounds

PetrogradSwe

Hello!

I would like to propose a way to turn off sounds more specifically than the current broad categories.

There's an ghoul enemy (Ghoul Rictus) on the plains of Eidolon that uses a chainsaw which creates chainsaw noises. This is a big problem for me, because I have PTSD and chainsaw noises give me flashbacks.

Turning off sound effects completely appears to work, but also means I lose sound warnings - including for when I'm about to die. I think I lose the ability to hear Grineer caches too.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to turn off the sound for that specific enemy's chainsaw noise. If that's too specific (it could lead to a lot of optional controls to set, I realize) broader categories might be all sound from that enemy (or from all ghouls), or least group all enemy sound effects together and other sound effects seperately so I'd still be able to hear health warnings (and grineer caches, etc).

Thanks for a great game!

35 minutes ago, Mingcrusher said:

Also, as a programmer myself I can tell you it wouldn't be so hard.

I really don't think it's good to assume you know the difficulty of a job unless you actually work with the company, on their program. Simply having experience with other programs doesn't mean you know how this one works.

Then you also have to consider the sheer number of sounds.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I don't think it's plausible to have an option to turn off any sound you want. That's kind of a lot of work and a lot of menu clutter.

What they could do would be to allow people to edit their own sound files. If I could just replace my local copy of the sound file for the chainsaw noise with nothing, then that would work great for me. I'm not sure that's allowed, nor if there is a seperate sound file for that.

Edit: That solution should also help solve the concern listed here: 

If they went for a 'settings solution', then like Mingcrusher said, I think a submenu similar to Key bindings would be the best idea. Even then, having one setting for each file would be a lot of work, and would be very cluttery. You could theoretically do it by a second level submenu (so first have all enemies or something, and second have a list of that enemy's sound clips) but I don't think the work to create that would be motivated.

Instead, having a submenu listing each enemy, and allowing that enemy's all sound to be turned off, would probably be a more realistic solution.

If even that is too much work (and the 'local sound file' solution can't be done), then they could at least make a submenu that seperates the sound effects depending on source.

Edited by PetrogradSwe