Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ultimate Ability - Charge Up

TheLostReverend

Hi Tenno

Been observing the threads over the weeks and seen plenty of '4' threads popping up, so I thought I would add my own little idea.

Note. This is only a suggestion, not a unchangable idea, put your thoughts and own suggestions in about how to better improve it.

What if the ultimate ability was changed into a charge bar that needs to be full before you can use it?

The ultimate bar would be charged by your deeds in battle. Here are some examples of your honourable deeds.

-You kill an enemy = +5% to your charge bar

-You assist in killing an enemy = +3%

-You kill an enemy who is shooting at the cryopod = +10%

-You kill an enemy with a headshot = +10%

-You kill a heavy enemy = +10%

-You revive a downed team mate = +20%

-You use the other 3 abilities = +X%

-You melee kill a toxic anchient...somehow = +80%!

-You pick up a rare orange charge orb = +25% (I don't know about this, but just another idea).

-You shoot an arrow into an adventurer's knee. = +0%, you bad person!

There could also be added parts to make it more flexible.

-You can use your ability early, maybe at 50% and 75% capacity, although the ultimate will not be as powerful.

I think adding something like this would work well if done correctly.

-It prevents spamming as soon as you get to the room, you have to work to have that right.

-It adds satisfaction to using the ultimate in the first place, you worked hard shooting all those box heads. You deserve this ultimate ability.

-It prevents players from doing nothing but using the ultimate. (We have all seen warframes run around a defence map only collecting energy to use on their ultimate).

-It rewards skillful players, you have taken your time aiming at those enemy weakspots, have some more charge.

-It makes you want to clear a room and kick butt, having the bar full when you go into the next room to find 20 rollers could save your life.

-It adds excitement to a close battle. Imagine you are getting overrun, you are freaking out a little, you get to 95%! You kill that last enemy and BAM, you used your ultimate and given your team a much needed respite.

Thoughts? Please be gentle ;)

------------------After Post Notes------------------

Problems with this idea

Problem

-Kill stealing, a rapid killing player could prevent you from getting your own bar up to full power.

Potential Fixes

-Adding a assist % to your charge meter, even if you do not get the kill you are still working your way up

-Other abilities also contribute to your ultimate charge bar. Promoting the use of your other abilities at the same time.

Edited by TheLostReverend

I can see two major problems with this:

1) KS'ing. Right now in Warframe, nobody gives a rat rump if you get KS'd. Enemy down, move on. If this were to get implemented, people would cuss each other out all day over voice chat in public games about how "you should let me get kills cause i can ult evrythin lawl".

2) Trinity. Her role as a supportive frame near disappears since now she also has to be killing things in order to help her team in a non-boss situation. Not to mention if a lockdown occurs during a bossfight, now she can only use it once. Right now I know a few people who play trinity to help people level new frames with the invulnerable duration of the ult coupled with duration and efficiency maxing, it's a huge help. Remember that affinity gains are skewed toward the person who actually did the kill.

While I see the merit and reasonings behind your post, I cannot support the system by which you'd like to implement it. It would need tweaks.

Definately, I agree there Aureus.

This thread is purely to plant an idea and see it grow. I am no expert on how this would be implemented, and changes would definately be required. I do like the base of this idea though and want to see how it fairs among the community, someone could add a better change to this and allow it to work for everyone, frame and all.

Idea: Use of the 1/2/3 abilities provides charge based on BASE energy spent toward the Ult meter. It would promote use of abilities other than just the Ult and promote energy efficiency, since the base energy cost would be accounted, not the efficency-adjusted value.

EDIT: And it wouldnt make KS'ing a problem or break Trinity.

Edited by AureusVulpes

enemies killed by ultimate shouldn't give charge.

Loki , Trinity and ash should keep the energy system

and the problem with kill steals.. hmm

killing someone would give you 5% charge, but if a teammate kils someone, you get 2-3% for shooting the same enemy ( kill assist )

this idea is the best idea i ever saw on these forums, ( this and prime/vandal as skins )

how about when you fill the ulti bar, you get a 0.1%/ sec power meter, with a max of 20% more power for your ulti, like focus, ( 200 seconds, 3:20 mins if i am correct) because when you fill that bar, and kill enemies, you get nothing, so you would use your ulti immediatly after you reach 100%

Edit: the guy above me is a genius.

Edited by NumeleMeu

How about ultis that you supercharge with Fusion cores? These ultis give massive damage increase when its fully charged. But every time you use it, it loses its charge (with a decay value of course). Killing many enemies with your ulti or dishing out huge damage to a high level enemy has a chance of dropping 'recharge' orbs.

This way, a player wont spam needlessly their ults.

Its a rough idea.

How about ultis that you supercharge with Fusion cores? These ultis give massive damage increase when its fully charged. But every time you use it, it loses its charge (with a decay value of course). Killing many enemies with your ulti or dishing out huge damage to a high level enemy has a chance of dropping 'recharge' orbs.

This way, a player wont spam needlessly their ults.

Its a rough idea.

Fusion Cores got like 1% chance to drop, and you want to waste them to charge your ability? Nope.

I'd go further and have the charge mechanic apply to more than just the ultimate. Like say Nyx's mind control, charging it fully would give it a good duration or possibly even make that enemy do extra damage or ect. Or Volt's Shock could be charged, ect. It's a great idea, +1.

I was considering saying this could be done for all abilities, but having it so your 25 energy abilities would only require 25 charge to fill. same for the 50 and 75. Although its already quite a bold suggestion for a change in the first place. I doubted it would go down well.

Edited by TheLostReverend

Cooldowns would be easier and also more easily balanced and have already been rejected. An aggro-metre is just a cooldown in disguise, so it's unlikely to get realized. The energysystem is going to stay, I'm afraid; so I suggest to look for integral solutions against ultispamming.