The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kestrel Vs Glaive

MetaMortred

Question

21 answers to this question

Krestel ragdolls ennemies and push them back while Glaive slice them up. That's for the gameplay. It all depends if you wanna kill your ennemies or just knock them down... 

Note that the Krestel is awesome for boss battle if you push them in a pit : they'll die instantly. 

I own both and they're both good, but in different areas. The glaive is for cutting through stuff, but it takes longer to come back due to it's long throwing range. The kestrel comes back faster but has a shorter throwing range. The kestrel is more for "quick stun this guy so I can focus on these guys" and the glaive is "chop up this guy (or at least really really lower their health) so I can focus on these guys". Oh, and the kestrel ragdolls on jump attack too so. 

Edited by omagawolf

Glaive does more damage, while Kestrel ragdolls the enemy

Source?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Glaive

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kestrel

They look damn near identical to me. Glaive has a longer range and flies slower, thats about all I can see.

EDIT: oh, and glaive has 50% more crit damage on charge. Is that the increased damage? Cause 5% crit chance is negligible when you take into account you can toss the Kestrel more often (short range + faster speed)

Edited by honeybadger

Source?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Glaive

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kestrel

They look damn near identical to me. Glaive has a longer range and flies slower, thats about all I can see.

EDIT: oh, and glaive has 50% more crit damage on charge. Is that the increased damage? Cause 5% crit chance is negligible when you take into account you can toss the Kestrel more often (short range + faster speed)

Damage types. A charged Glaive does serrated blade.

Damage types. A charged Glaive does serrated blade.

Again, what is the functional difference? The 3x damage to light infested that serrated blade offers? I know Kestrel charge and Kogake charge use "Forcefield" damage. The Kogake dont have armor applied to its charge attacks, but I havent looked close enough at Kestrel, but the Kogake would suggest that armor is not applied to the Kestrel charge either.

EDIT: I may be mistaken about the kogake's charge ignoring armor. If that is true, then yes, I see why Glaive does more damage. Serrated Blade ignores armor, Forcefield does not.

Edited by honeybadger

Kogake - Does not ignore armor on charged attacks.

By proxy the Kestrel shouldn't ignore armour on thrown attacks either.

Thats the part of the wikia I read right before I edited my post.

That was the bit of information I was missing. All is well in the universe!

If you're an Aussie you're pretty much obliged to pick the Kestrel though.

"That's not a knife, this is a. . . well, s**t, this ain't a knife either really. Don't I look a bloody fool."

I personally prefer the Kestrel. So few melee weapons do appreciable damage at high level, I feel that the ability to ragdoll enemies is a decent tradeoff. I use it on 'frames like Nyx, where spreading confusion and irritation are the main goals for me.

Both can headshot, for double damage.

Armor on headshots is often (if not always) 0. So the armor piercing of the glaive is not as important as it seems for single target killing, its more the random bounces.

Glaive can also dismember, dropping a killed enemy faster so its outta the way for you to shoot. The kestrel, on the other hand, gets the enemy out of the way too, in its own unique fashion.

thanks for all the answers.

I keep hearing this one shot boss trick everywhere, but no one ever says which boss. could you help me out? what boss can die in one hit with this.

To be specific, if the boss can be ragdolled, it can be thrown off a cliff. Any ragdolled enemy down a bottomless pit dies. The drops will just reappear on the ground somewhere just as a Frame does when it falls.

I keep hearing this one shot boss trick everywhere, but no one ever says which boss. could you help me out? what boss can die in one hit with this.

As long as the boss isn't a "special" enemy you can do it. For example you can't do it to Vor, but you can do it to Vey Hek because Hek is just a beefed up Grineer Trooper while Vor runs a more advanced and unique AI.

To be specific, if the boss can be ragdolled, it can be thrown off a cliff. Any ragdolled enemy down a bottomless pit dies. The drops will just reappear on the ground somewhere just as a Frame does when it falls.

As long as the boss isn't a "special" enemy you can do it. For example you can't do it to Vor, but you can do it to Vey Hek because Hek is just a beefed up Grineer Trooper while Vor runs a more advanced and unique AI.

cant you do that with pull or sonic boom?