The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking: Could we get an option to always host/never host?

KelsierSurvivor

Not all of us have top of the line computers that can run great while hosting up to three other players (Or in the cases of some bugs, more than 4), so I wanted to make a suggestion. 

Players don't like it when they can't play because their game is lagging too hard to do anything, and for me, this is always the case when the host is not using a good computer/internet. I would much rather host when playing on my desktop when it can handle everything and I'm sure everyone else would want me to host on a desktop. But when I'm using a laptop that can't handle everything very well, me and the other players all want me to not be the host, whether it's said or not. 

I was just gonna pitch the idea of giving us an option to either "Always be host" so that if we're using a good computer the experience would be better for us and others, and also an option to "Never be host" when we're on a crappy computer. This way, in my mind, everything would run smoother. But, I'm not a game developer, so what do I know?

Thank you for reading and please consider this idea! I'm sure this is one that all of the community would like implemented.

26 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

This could potentially cause HUUUUUUGE problems.

If you try to get into a group for a certain node and nobody is willig to become a host, then matchmaking goes down the drain.

It would be an opt in feature, if you feel it is taking too long then just allow yourself to host/run solo. For convenience it could be where you pick Public/private (as a 'Host') option.

But I would be perfectly happy with just the 'Host' option and not the "Don't host" option.

Edited by More-L
  • Like 1

This is already an option for PVP where people volunteer for PVP dedicated servers, since pvp host migration is not fun at all. They kinda put clans on dedi servers and relays are (including cetus) But missions that's a tabu topic for DE in general, since they would have to put some money into buying servers and the maintenance may cost them as well and i'm not a master at economy, they have also a weird but fair free to play model. But the idea to host for some people normal missions besides pvp, can be tried out at least or beta tested dunno. This is one of the things i simply whould wish we had, dedi servers.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb More-L:

It would be an opt in feature, if you feel it is taking too long then just allow yourself to host/run solo

Regadring running solo:

Yeah, for me this is a option, but not every player is MR24 capable of soloing Eidolons. Some people are reliant on groups.

As for ' just allow yourself to host':

I'm sometimes playing on a relativly old Laptop. On that machine i literally cannot host without ruining the experience for all 4 people involved.

If I'm now forced to host there is a 100% chance to ruin the group.

Right now this chance is only 25%.

The same goes for people living in areas with bad ISPs.

6 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Regadring running solo:

Yeah, for me this is a option, but not every player is MR24 capable of soloing Eidolons. Some people are reliant on groups.

As for ' just allow yourself to host':

I'm sometimes playing on a relativly old Laptop. On that machine i literally cannot host without ruining the experience for all 4 people involved.

If I'm now forced to host there is a 100% chance to ruin the group.

Right now this chance is only 25%.

The same goes for people living in areas with bad ISPs.

Opt in means you say "yes I will host" so if you choose to be host then your choice will ruin other players experiences, if you choose otherwise it will still be the same '25% chance' as it is now.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am in no way saying it should be 'You must host, you have no choice' I don't really understand why you even brought up that point, unless you mean that you forget to opt out of it?

EDIT 2: I think you thought I meant it should be a 1 time choice, what my intention was is that in the same place you pick 'Public, Friends Only, Invite Only and Solo' another option is added, and that option is 'Host,' which means you can easily swap between definitely hosting or not. As opposed to it being in the options settings where you select matchmaking ping limit.

Edited by More-L

4 hours ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

Not all of us have top of the line computers that can run great while hosting up to three other players (Or in the cases of some bugs, more than 4), so I wanted to make a suggestion. 

Players don't like it when they can't play because their game is lagging too hard to do anything, and for me, this is always the case when the host is not using a good computer/internet. I would much rather host when playing on my desktop when it can handle everything and I'm sure everyone else would want me to host on a desktop. But when I'm using a laptop that can't handle everything very well, me and the other players all want me to not be the host, whether it's said or not. 

I was just gonna pitch the idea of giving us an option to either "Always be host" so that if we're using a good computer the experience would be better for us and others, and also an option to "Never be host" when we're on a crappy computer. This way, in my mind, everything would run smoother. But, I'm not a game developer, so what do I know?

Thank you for reading and please consider this idea! I'm sure this is one that all of the community would like implemented.

Alright, I have read the criticism in this thread and I am going to propose/explain a way how it could work.

First of all: your host preference in the Settings is linked to your device, not your account. Thus, if I play on my computer I can always host but if I play on my laptop, I am indifferent and have no preference. (My laptop is beast but my VPN slows things down, so I can host pretty good if I must at the cost of some delay.)

There are 3 categories: Always Host, Never Host and No Preference.

Here are the different scenarios and how they should work out.

0 Always Host, 0 Never Host, 4 No Preference

If a squad comes together and everyone has No Preference it works as it does now.

0 Always Host, 1 Never Host, 3 No Preference

If one of the squad members happens to be Never Host, then there is a 33% chance for the remaining squad members to become host.

0 Always Host, 2 Never Host, 2 No Preference

Same scenario as above, but each No Preference player has a 50% chance of becoming host, since the Never Host players are not part of the equation.

0 Always Host, 3 Never Host, 1 No Preference

The No Preference player will become host.

0 Always Host, 4 Never Host, 0 No Preference

Because no host could be found, players will be greeted with a prompt informing them that no one in the squad was willing to host. Players in this match are now given the option to continue the mission, after which they will be temporarily treated as No Preference players and the host will be randomly chosen.

Or players can choose to re-enter matchmaking. If only some players decide to proceed normally, they are temporarily treated as No Preference players and the mission will continue as usual.

If there are very few queues, then it is likely that the players who initially declined are matched with them. Players leave this temporary No Preference status when they choose to do a different mission, or after 2 hours.

1 Always Host, 3 Never Host/No Preference

Obviously, if someone is Always Host, then this person will become the host regardless of the rest.

2 Always Host, 2 Never Host/No Preference

To determine the host, the No Preference and Never Host players are taken out of the equation: now each Always Host player has a 50% chance of becoming the host, competing against each other.

3 Always Host, 1 Never Host/No Preference

Same scenario as above, but each Always Host player has a 33% of becoming host.

4 Always Host, 0 Never Host/No Preference

This scenario is the same as 4 No Preference players, where everyone has a 25% chance of becoming host.

Edited by Mayahai

3 hours ago, More-L said:

Opt in means you say "yes I will host" so if you choose to be host then your choice will ruin other players experiences, if you choose otherwise it will still be the same '25% chance' as it is now.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am in no way saying it should be 'You must host, you have no choice' I don't really understand why you even brought up that point, unless you mean that you forget to opt out of it?

EDIT 2: I think you thought I meant it should be a 1 time choice, what my intention was is that in the same place you pick 'Public, Friends Only, Invite Only and Solo' another option is added, and that option is 'Host,' which means you can easily swap between definitely hosting or not. As opposed to it being in the options settings where you select matchmaking ping limit.

Please check out my post, it should answer any and all doubt you have.

• 3 months later...