The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Despair Worth It?

TheTwan

Question

25 answers to this question

everything is worth to craft, of course to raise your rank mastery

but if you're asking is despair > kunai:

kunai's damage type is armor ignore. it will true, unreduced damage. which means good for high level monsters with high level armor. (t3 void grineer heavy gunner, for example)
despair damage type is armor piercing, it deals armor piercing damage, which means won't deal damage as good as kunai even though despair's 10 damage higher than kunai.

i already have kunai and hikou. are the despair worth crafting if i have both?

If you are not satisfied with how strong your Kunai are get a despair.  I do not like Kunai's stagger and upgrade to despair for more damage and no stagger. It is not like any of those weapon are weak or underpowered just get despair if you want the best anti-material weapon, it not like your going to fail anything by using a kunai.

kunai's damage type is armor ignore. it will true, unreduced damage. which means good for high level monsters with high level armor. (t3 void grineer heavy gunner, for example)

despair damage type is armor piercing, it deals armor piercing damage, which means won't deal damage as good as kunai even though despair's 10 damage higher than kunai.

Let me revise:

Kunai and Despair both deal armor ignoring damage. Kunai deals Physics Impact, while the Despair dishes out Armor Piercing (which can also be treated like an element).

Armor piercing is affected by +50% damage multipliers on medium Grineer, +100% damage multipliers on Corpus Crewman (for a total of a 400% damage multiplier upon headshots), and -50% damage multipliers in light Infested. Overall, the Despair > Kunai due to its higher base damage (mods are percentage based) and because the light Infested are already easy enough to deal with.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

That is actually not true. Innate AP that despair have do ignore armor as well but have an elemental damage type and do 150% to armored targets and 50% to non-ancient infested (which by the way are very squishy and up to level 50 go down in a single hit, after that they need 2).In comparison kunai do full damage to everything so basically when it matters Despair not only have higher base damage but deal 50% more than Kunai.

That is actually not true. Innate AP that despair have do ignore armor as well but have an elemental damage type and do 150% to armored targets and 50% to non-ancient infested (which by the way are very squishy and up to level 50 go down in a single hit, after that they need 2).In comparison kunai do full damage to everything so basically when it matters Despair not only have higher base damage but deal 50% more than Kunai.

Hate to break it to you, but you've been ninja'd.

Can't take a joke, eh? Then there's no place on these forums for you.

Oh, but I can, see the winking little guy on the end of the sentence. Means, I am not serious and you shouldn't feel insulted. Unfortunately reading can sometimes fail to convey the original tone of the sentence, and if you don't want people to react that way, perhaps you should refrain yourself from posting useless comments on the internet.  

Oh, but I can, see the winking little guy on the end of the sentence. Means, I am not serious and you shouldn't feel insulted. Unfortunately reading can sometimes fail to convey the original tone of the sentence, and if you don't want people to react that way, perhaps you should refrain yourself from posting useless comments on the internet.  

Sadly, some people on the internet are dumb enough to tack on a smiley face at the end of an insult without actually knowing what it conveys. Sorry for assuming you were one of those people, but I've learned to always assume the worst.

so...everyone agrees that Despair > Kunai. 

Knowing that Kunai do full damage and Despair get a little reduction but is still a little more powerful, how would they perform versus, let's say, 120+ armored enemies? Will Kunai's dmg type "get the cake"?

I'm asking because if despair is better for everyday farming and kunai for really high leveled mobs, i'll get them both.

Edited by Symbiont71

Sadly, some people on the internet are dumb enough to tack on a smiley face at the end of an insult without actually knowing what it conveys. Sorry for assuming you were one of those people, but I've learned to always assume the worst.

Well, if I have to be honest, I am at fault as well, I could have reacted in a different way of course, but I didn't. Anyways, I meant no insult so that's that, lets not spam any more, shall we?

so...everyone agrees that Despair > Kunai. 

Knowing that Kunai do full damage and Despair get a little reduction but is still a little more powerful, how would they perform versus, let's say, 120+ armored enemies? Will Kunai's dmg type "get the cake"?

I'm asking because if despair is better for everyday farming and kunai for really high leveled mobs, i'll get them both.

Despair and Kunai both have armor ignoring damage. Despair has Armor Piercing, while Kunai have Physics Impact. The disadvantage of the Despair is a -50% multiplier against Light Infested, some of the weakest enemies in the game.

Therefore, just go with Despair.