Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr (Prime) Talon Build

Kelpie77

Question

Hi everyone
With the addiction of "exalted weapons" as separate weapon slot i found myself struggling with balancing those; i really don't use Titania so the pixa build is not really a concern, and i use Ivara for spy and i rarely even use a weapon, so she's again is not a real concern. Besides, i use(d) Valkyr Prime a lot and now i found myself with hysteria mod that works really different...

My Valkyr Build is a warcry build with a crit (blood rush) Galatin Prime, so i'm not spamming hysteria here and there, but i was used to have my valkyr hit like hell and with incredible speed. Today i tried using her for a couple sanctuary run, but it's not the same thing... it fel like... slowed down...
So i'm guessing: what's wrong with this build?

Eb0j2GR.jpg

basically i tried building it for crit because has a really high base crit chance; Fury and Gladiator Vice because every build i tried it felt really slow compared to what i was used to. I have only Volcanic Edge and Frostbite as 60/60 so i put on the first one; Primed Fever Strike is the only elemental primed mod i got, and i go on corrosive 'cause normally i go corrosive on melee (the mainly use slash weapons so the enemies i got more problem against are the armored ones, thus corrosive). Because valkyr talons are 33/33/33 i guess every elemental combo is worth. Almost every one.

So in the end... what did you advice me? valkyr talon are really slower than what used before or it's just me?

Ty for your help, anyway 🙂

12 answers to this question

For that level of Primed Pressure Point, you're better off using the normal one: costs 2 mod points less for the same level of dmg (again, at rank 7 of the Primed one), which in turn let's you use those 2 points in, for example, 2 other ranks of Shocking Touch.

Another thing I would recommend is Berserker (instead of Gladiator Vice): with that much Crit Chance, you're at +75% Atk. Speed almost immediatly, which is a hell of a lot more than any other related mod you can put in there.

One more thing: I finally came up with a use for Rending Strike 😁 The way it scales the Phys. Dmg of the Talons is beautiful, which in turn also let's you scale the Elemental Dmg of that increased Phys. Dmg. I put it instead of your Heat dual mod.

Edited by SigmaBlack

6 minutes ago, SigmaBlack said:

which in turn also let's you scale the Elemental Dmg of that increased Phys. Dmg.

Doesn't work like that. Elemental scales off base damage, increasing physical does just that. That's why physical damage mods can rarely be put to good use.

ok, first thing first: thank you for your quick responses 🙂

I know for this level is plain pressure point is better, but i wish i could upgrade a bit more primed pressure point and maybe squeeze a little to put a maximised one onside
i put critical mod because +60% from the starting 50% means a plain 80% crit chance. I can't use blood rush inside so i guess i can't go on further 😞
i don't have Berserker so i can't use it 😐 but i have rending strike so i guess i'll put it inside. I figured out elemental damage is better than increasing only partial damage (ie again because talon are 33/33/33) but dunno if i figured it wrong or correct 😐

hace 1 hora, DarthKadra dijo:

Doesn't work like that. Elemental scales off base damage, increasing physical does just that. That's why physical damage mods can rarely be put to good use.

Well, thank you for enlightening me. Always thought that it was a feedback sort of relationship, where increasing the raw phys. dmg would also increase the dmg of that new one.

Already tested it taking into account what Kadra said, and yes, in that scenario Rending Strike is obscured by just adding an elemental mod. Even if it's a dual stat elemental, it outdmgs Rending. If it were to be a 90% one, it would increase the difference even more.

Conclussion: Rending Strike OUT, any other elemental mod IN.

I was thinking... does Energy Channel will work for talons? i mean: you constantly spend energy to keep hysteria mode on, so in the end basically when you are not hitting anyone (ie traveling from an enemy to another one) you are "powering up" the damage with Energy Channel, right?
And does any channeling mods be useful too? i normally trash them away/ignore them but maybe for the exalted weapon are useful? or not?

ps is just my impression or this new version of exalted weapon are generally less powerful than before? i read someone on chat complaining the Mesa need several forma to get the same damage output than before... 😐

4 hours ago, Kelpie77 said:

I was thinking... does Energy Channel will work for talons? i mean: you constantly spend energy to keep hysteria mode on, so in the end basically when you are not hitting anyone (ie traveling from an enemy to another one) you are "powering up" the damage with Energy Channel, right?
And does any channeling mods be useful too? i normally trash them away/ignore them but maybe for the exalted weapon are useful? or not?

ps is just my impression or this new version of exalted weapon are generally less powerful than before? i read someone on chat complaining the Mesa need several forma to get the same damage output than before... 😐

Energy Channel is a terrible mod that adds absolutely negligible amounts of damage for the next attack only and I'm not even sure it works off the constant drain abilities, not that it matters anyway. For now you can safely ignore the channeling mods. Maybe you could make some kind of hybrid channeling build work on some weapons with reasonable energy costs thanks to Zenurik's Inner Might passive. I intended to look into the whole channeling matter and, if possible, find some viable build involving channeling at least on some weapons a few months back, just for the fun of it, but there's not much point experimenting now because the melee rework is going to change everything, so I've lost interest.

As for the exalted weapons. The weapons themselves deal same damage as before. Thing is they are separate weapons now, whereas before they would work off the mods you had installed on your regular weapons (Hysteria off melee, Mesa's Regulators off secondary weapon etc.) Now to fit all those mods into the exalted weapon you'll have to forma them first.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, Kelpie77 said:

...does Energy Channel will work for talons? i mean: you constantly spend energy to keep hysteria mode on, so in the end basically when you are not hitting anyone (ie traveling from an enemy to another one) you are "powering up" the damage with Energy Channel, right?...

Damage from Energy Channel is applied after the active act of Channeling and not from abilities with constant drain.  The damage will not be applied as you describe.

...does any channeling mods be useful...

Life Strike is the most commonly used of the Channeling Mods.  Most people want at least one source of life gain in their loadouts.  It's relatively easy to get and its use requires energy which can be easy for people to get depending on their access to arcanes, focus schools, energy pizzas, etc.  I've occasionally seen people say they use one of the other channeling mods but their use seems to be subjective as in most cases they don't directly add to damage on a melee weapon which is what people tend to prioritize in builds.

...this new version of exalted weapon are generally less powerful than before? i read someone on chat complaining the Mesa need several forma to get the same damage output than before... 😐

I've read several posts like that.  There are a few viewpoints on this thought.  One is that since people's opinions on what an optimized build is varies from person to person this is a subjective statement.  Another is that this is part of the cost for a feature that has been requested by the WF community for a while now.  I haven't read a post that correctly and completely answers this statement.

Mesa is probably less subjective because building her regulators is exactly the same as building any secondary and most people have primed pistol gambit, target cracker and heated charge in their build so it takes some forma. I have started playing again after a few months break and was initially frustrated that I had to put forma into her but at least the regulators start off with a couple of polarised slots and it does make sense to build exalted weapons separately.

Yes, of course having exalted weapons separated from other weapons is a good thing, so you can build i.e. your weapon crit and your exalted status

The problem is you need to put forma on exalted weapon and thus increasing the number of forma you need to invest on the specific warframe... 😶