Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Particle Affects

ocr111

So yesterday i was watching the warframe profile videos on youtube made by playwarframe. And i noticed that in the earlier ones when you used an ability it had a really awesome particle affect. I would like to ask if there could be an option in the display to turn on and off these particle affects because i really want them in my game.

Just go online and buy one. I usually use www.newegg.com

the only thing you need to know is that you need to get one of the 5 series (540/560/etc) because they come with PhysX drivers from the start, so you wont have to install the PhysX driver seperately.

i have one of those physX drivers already installed in my laptop and it was only $1000 

Price of the Laptop doesnt matter. And also, Desktops are better for gaming than Laptops, by every possibly measurement. To get the same power in a laptop that my 3yr old Desktop has, you'd have to spend like 2400 bucks. Its all because of the form factor they have to follow. Small parts, all squashed together, make for very difficult heat management.

cant they just have the particle affects whit out having to install a graphics card

Its not that easy. The game already does have regular Particle effects, but the difference is that PhysX effects use proprietary hardware that ONLY comes in nVidia cards. Even if they wanted to put them in for other cards, Legally they cant.

Its not that easy. The game already does have regular Particle effects, but the difference is that PhysX effects use proprietary hardware that ONLY comes in nVidia cards. Even if they wanted to put them in for other cards, Legally they cant.

You can run physx on AMD cards just fine.

Technically, this isn't correct.

PhysX can be processed on the GPU or CPU.

For example, my ATI system can render 500k+ Physx particles at 60fps which are all CPU driven.

There is no legal requirement to use physx on the GPU only, unless, DE have a contract with Nvidia which forces them to use GPU/nvidia rendering only (usually to make money).

They could switch physics/particle middleware, but that would be a major hassle, and would negate whatever support they got from NVIDIA.

There is no legal requirement to use physx on the GPU only, unless, DE have a contract with Nvidia which forces them to use GPU/nvidia rendering only (usually to make money).

They almost certainly have something to this effect.

Technically, this isn't correct.

PhysX can be processed on the GPU or CPU.

For example, my ATI system can render 500k+ Physx particles at 60fps which are all CPU driven.

It was actually information coming from nVidia. I worked for them for a few years and at least at the time, PhysX was exclusive to nVidia Hardware. But i guess a lot changed in a short time. I sit corrected.

It was actually information coming from nVidia. I worked for them for a few years and at least at the time, PhysX was exclusive to nVidia Hardware. But i guess a lot changed in a short time. I sit corrected.

Interesting.

The c++ engine i use (which includes the Nvidia physx.dll's) implementation is done completely on the compute shader for physx and emission, while rendering is done through a geometry shader.

In short, this gives me 500k+ nvidia physx particles on an ATI card :)

Edited by Fourdee