Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Threre Really any Point in Picking Light Side and Dark Side?

AJ5511

On 2018-06-18 at 1:16 PM, Pizzarugi said:

That doesn't change what I said though, the sides have clearly been defined in previous quests that utilize this system, and it's jarring to see that changed in the Sacrifice. The dialogues and actions you make in it don't match what you've done prior in the same path, thus I'm convinced it's bugged.

But they kind of do match up. 

I mean, it was way more intense than I expected and mostly seemed to sidestep the core issues, but there is a logical connection. 

Most of the Sun choices involve, for a lack of a better word, purity.  You hate Void powers and throw away the little kuva vial, trying to keep away from the Void and the likely filthy products of the Orokin.  You wanted to not kill the adults because it wasn't their fault, but possibly also because you would have to use your powers.  And sure, you leave the Elder Queen alive, but was that mercy or scorn?  Just some selfish Orokin rotting in a half-baked body, isn't that what they had all deserved?  Why kill her when her punishment is more perfect than just death? 

When we find Ballas it quickly becomes apparent that he's a corrupter.  Intentionally twisting humans into flesh weapons, and being especially awful to Umbra.  Not only is he every thing you try to push away from, he recreates a mini Zariman incident, twisting parent to monster and setting them against their child.  So when you complete the memory, you use it as a lens to focus your wrath and purge his filth from the universe; and standing over him you watch him writhe in the dirt he belongs in and . . . you get the point. 

Not to say that the Sun choices are "bad", but they aren't necessarily nice.  For instance the Sun choice in the Glast Gambit is more or less the "morally right" decision, but it ends with the girl being exiled and probably toasts the colony and a lot of the people living there. 

It's not that there isn't a common thread to each path. It's that there are a lot of characters one can imagine your operator to be that lead to switching between the paths. 

Enough to make people think the definitions have changed along the way.

Which is enough to make it a bad idea to retroactively add a system that rewards consistency.