The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Excessive Lag When Hosting Public Matches

wobin

When playing with my clansmen, of whom I know are relatively geographically close by, the game runs as smooth as I'd ever hope.

However, at times, when hosting a public game, as soon as we get a random member, the game slows to a crawl, requiring about 10 seconds before commands go through, doors open, enemies react, etc.

It's gotten to the point where I can -tell- that someone new has connected, as everything suddenly grinds to a near halt.

I'd consider reducing my ping limit, but I often have issues finding matches normally with the default limit.

Only thing I can see wrong is your connection. Post the results you get from this speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/

weird... when i host, everyone lags but i don't ever feel it. No delay, no fps dip no nothing.

That's because you're the host, if your computer can support three people, yet they are still lagging, it's most likely your connection speed. 

Edited by DesuEx

• 1 month later...

its your internet bro. i have 12 Mbps down and .74Mbps up. i can host fine with 1 other person but if its 2(2-3 second delay) and 3 4 others its 10 second delay city.

(some states in the U.S. have worse internet then you. You should feel lucky)

Edited by Fordays

Yeah, unfortunately, 1Mb/s seems to simply not be enough for the amount of data the game is transmitting. 

You're stuck at a max of about 131KB/s being able to be sent up, with all 3 of the other people you are playing with, together.  That's already a pretty tough constraint.  If one of them doesn't have a decent connection or machine, and it takes longer for the packets to return back as acknowledged to your machine, then that slows things down even further.  I've been having a great deal of issue, lately, playing with anyone (if I don't host), outside of my group of friends, and not being stuck with un-moving enemies, loot that takes (literally) 10+ seconds to hit the ground, etc. 

I've seen a regular complaint of people with that type of upload having the issue because, unfortunately, upload speed is still generally very low for the vast majority of internet users.  When my friends and I play, I try to always host because I have a 38Mb/s upload (and have a very fast machine), so we know we won't have any issues.  However, until something even half of that becomes the norm, trying to play any network game that doesn't use a client-server structure is asking for a little trouble.  This is the greatest downfall that the game is currently experiencing, in my opinion.  Sadly, the only alternative that doesn't cost DE a great deal of money is to allow people to setup servers for others to connect to, but that poses a pretty significant risk for cheating, as can be seen by any CoD/L4D/etc game.

Edited by Khale_Kitha