Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How 'versatile' Is Each Damage Type?

Aeshi

Question

Here's the "basic" damage types (i.e. the ones that can be added via mods) as I understand them:

Normal: 100% damage to everything

AP:  Around 100% damage to everything bar some Infested

Cold: 200% damage to shields, about 40% damage to everything else

Fire: 200% damage to Infested, 125% to (Medium?) Grineer, 50% to Corpus

Electricity: 200% damage to Corpus, around 50% to everything else

Is this accurate? I ask because I have 2 slots on my Latron Prime left and I'm unsure as to whether to use Hellfire + Wildfire or Hellfire + Stormbringer (I want a set-up that's good on just about any faction)

Or should I just ignore those and use a Thunderclap + Hammershot combo?

Edited by Aeshi

19 answers to this question

Well that depends, what are you going to fight? There's not really a "The One Build", it depends largely on what you're fighting, and at what level.

EDIT: For an all-rounder, I'd just bring Damage, AP, Firerate, Reload, Freeze and clipsize. And whatever else fun mods I can stuff.

Edited by Shion963

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Vulnerabilities

Don't forget the CC effects though. Ancients have no shields but cold is really helpful against them when they're at a level that's difficult to handle for your gear. Some enemies react badly when set on fire or electrocuted as well (go figure...).

But as far as I can see for the most part that page only tells you about weaknesses, not resistances (it doesn't mention Corpus being resistant to Fire or Infested being resistant to Electricity, pretty sure Heavy Grineer are resistant to both, too.)

Edited by Aeshi

This is...not correct. :)

Normal damage is reduced by enemy armor, to a high degree at a certain level.

Other element's damage is calculated by the enemy resistance. The only element that

is still effective at really high levels (across all factions) is Armor Piercing.

There are very few mobs with resistance to AP.

I recommend a crit build. Point Strike and Vital Sense at least.

Dammit, ninja'd.

XD

But as far as I can see for the most part that page only tells you about weaknesses, not resistances (it doesn't mention Corpus being resistant to Fire or Infested being resistant to Electricity, pretty sure Heavy Grineer are resistant to both, too.)

A multiplier less than 1 is a resistance. Corpus bullet head modifier = 0, so your standard bullet damage type will hit CORPUS crewmen heads for nothing. 

Doesn't really matter. Pretty sure they said they're going to redo the damage types in the last livestream... we'll all get pwned by someone necro bumping your thread in a month.

A multiplier less than 1 is a resistance. Corpus bullet head modifier = 0, so your standard bullet damage type will hit CORPUS crewmen heads for nothing. 

So did they remove the various resistances I mentioned then?

Well for lack of a satisfactory answer (and the in light of the possibility this will all become meaningless in a patch or two) I'm just going to fill my last 2 slots with Hammer Shot and either Thunderclap or Point Strike (probably the former)

Edited by Aeshi

Personally I use fire as a general element mod. Fire, as stated, will deal increased damage to Infested and will stun Corpus and Grineer. Electricity isn't really preferred as it does nothing against Ancients and most Corpus are chumps with shields (that wont take increased damage) anyway.

Yeah resistances have been mostly removed, soframes like Volt and Ember are more versatile and not a Corpus-only/Infested-only frame.

Thanks to this, you can now use all 4 elementals at once in your weapons, if you want to go for maximum damage. But most the times, it is still better to leave out one of the elements to have one other mod you can install, maybe for ammo mutation, maximum ammo, reload speed or crit chance and damage or, in case of pistols, more multishot by lethal torrent (which improves dps more than an element).

my priority with elemental mods is:

AP>freeze>fire>eletric for weapons without innate AP

freeze>AP>fire>electric for weapons with innate AP

AP is just a must; then freeze, I personally love the slow effect on every faction and cutting through shields is a nice bonus especially against corpus; fire is great against infested, but does well even against the others; electric is great against the corpus, but terrible against the infested and since I already had a good advantage against corpus from the freeze mod I usually end up not using electric damage.

Edited by CubedOobleck

Damage is getting an overhaul shortly in the future. They will try making armor ignore and armor piercing less of a "you need this or you will be very very less effective". Currently armor ignore and armor piercing are the most important damage types in this game due to the stupid armor scaling enemies have. (Example: With an enemy at lvl 80 you would only need 1/16th of armor ignoring damage vs normal damage. Thus at lvl 80, 160 bullet damage would be equal to 10 armor ignoring damage which is ridiculous.)

AP does a seperate number of armor ignoring damage which does bonus damage vs Grineer but is less effective against Infested due to the resistance they have (resistance =/= armor). But still due to the small armor ignoring part of this mod it is far more effective vs fire in late levels. Fire eventually gets blocked by armor while AP still does the same amount of damage but with the resistance included from Infested which does not scale unlike armor.

Edited by R3leaZ

So did they remove the various resistances I mentioned then?

Well for lack of a satisfactory answer (and the in light of the possibility this will all become meaningless in a patch or two) I'm just going to fill my last 2 slots with Hammer Shot and either Thunderclap or Point Strike (probably the former)

Yes this was done way back in Hotfix 8.3:

• Enemies that had had elemental immunities now take regular damage, with multiplied damage for weaknesses (fire and electricity).

As for modding your Latron Prime, you shouldn't use Thunderclap. Thunderclap seems to only increase stun chance multiplicatively, meaning if the weapon has 0% stun chance, it's still going to have 0% stun chance with Thunderclap. I just tested my Latron Prime with maxed Hammer Shot, and it did not stun or stagger any enemy in the mission I tried it in.

Edited by CitizenV

Yes this was done way back in Hotfix 8.3:

• Enemies that had had elemental immunities now take regular damage, with multiplied damage for weaknesses (fire and electricity).

As for modding your Latron Prime, you shouldn't use Thunderclap. Thunderclap seems to only increase stun chance multiplicatively, meaning if the weapon has 0% stun chance, it's still going to have 0% stun chance with Thunderclap. I just tested my Latron Prime with maxed Hammer Shot, and it did not stun or stagger any enemy in the mission I tried it in.

Stun is an own mechanic. I tested this with my Furis, which by no means has innate stun and can tell you, that the stun chance is simply added. When the stun effect occurs, the enemy hit won't shoot or turn for the next ~3 seconds (as he is stunned). At least it has been since a few updates, but I don't think that has changed yet. Stun chance has nothing to do with stagger and is its own thing. Hammershot providing 40% stun is a pretty good thing when dealing with tougher enemies, as you can leave them not fighting back, while you deal with them.

Stun is an own mechanic. I tested this with my Furis, which by no means has innate stun and can tell you, that the stun chance is simply added. When the stun effect occurs, the enemy hit won't shoot or turn for the next ~3 seconds (as he is stunned). At least it has been since a few updates, but I don't think that has changed yet. Stun chance has nothing to do with stagger and is its own thing. Hammershot providing 40% stun is a pretty good thing when dealing with tougher enemies, as you can leave them not fighting back, while you deal with them.

I'm not sure what you mean by its own mechanic. Even if it worked like I said it worked, it would still be its own mechanic :x.

Anyway, I literally tested it before I posted that post and saw no stun effect with Hammershot on Latron Prime. No enemy stopped firing or stopped running at me, despite me unloading clips into them. I mentioned stagger because other people did on the Stun mod pages, but you're right, they are different things.

EDIT: I decided to test another weapon, Braton Prime this time because it has a higher RoF and is automatic. Despite that, I'm still not stunning any enemies with maxed Hammershot.

EDIT2: Ok, final test. I maxed out Stopping Power and Stunning Sped just for this... trying them out on Dual Vipers (I sold my Furis after I maxed it). Same results as the last two tests, didn't see any stun.

By the way, I did the tests in T2/T3 Void and some random Grineer missions on Sedna.

Edited by CitizenV

However, as of 8.3, every damage type deal 100% damage against all factions and increase damage against specific faction. Therefore....

RAINBOW.

No. The elemental damage against an enemy with IMMUNITY (100% resistance) to that element get converted to normal damage type.

Thats all. And there are not so many enemies with immunities to a certain element at lower levels. Armor is still applied.