Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Killing The Stalker

shut

Question

Hey.

I keep seeing all these posts about how the Stalker is "too easy to kill" and stuff like that, so after dying against him twice out of three encounters (one of which I only won because his AI for Phobos is incomplete, so I basically had a full sandbag scenario), I'm starting to wonder how on earth you guys are managing to kill him. All three stalkers that I've faced are level 45.

The first encounter that I've ever had took me completely by surprise, so of course I dropped like a rock that had recently been sliced in half by a rogue Tenno.

The second encounter was the one on Phobos, in which I won since he just stood there as I fired repeatedly at his head. This is where I get confused-- many players say that they're able to take him down without even needing to empty their clips on many of their weapons. His head was my Latron's personal sandbag for a full three minutes. It was only after three full minutes of nonstop firing and reloading (with careful timing on the last shot of the clip so as to prevent his shields from recovering by any remotely substantial amount) and 60% of my Latron's ammo being stored safely in Stalker's face that he disappeared in his little puff of smoke.

Granted, it was, like, a level 4 Latron with no noteworthy attacking mods, but still... 3 minutes of sandbagged headshots? Just how powerful are the mods that you guys are using?

So, after the second encounter, I decided that I wanted to face the Stalker the proper way-- you know, one where he actually does something besides walk sideways very slowly while you thrust bullets into his eye sockets. So I watched a few YouTube vids of people killing the Stalker, and it seemed easy enough to me. Just run away from him as fast as you can while tossing bullets at him, and run away faster if your shields need recovering. Okay, no problem.

So I encountered him for the third time, and after he spawned, I Zorencoptered to another room to prepare myself for what I evidently thought would be an epic duel. I edged around the door, planning on shooting a quick bullet into his face and having him chase me to the less Grineer-infested room that I was in. So I shot a bullet into the back of his head, and lo behold, I didn't even see the recoil of the shot go back down. He teleported behind me and slash-dashed me (instantly removing all of my health, while leaving almost 70% of my shields intact) before the recoil even finished.

Haven't seen him since then.

So, yeah-- just how do you guys fight the Stalker? What are your ideal weapons for destroying him quickly, and what is your strategy for hitting him while avoiding his attacks should the fight drag out due to non-endgame-level weapons or something? Throw your tips at me; I must get revenge on the Stalker for getting revenge on me. XD

Sincerely,

a Rank 30 non-potato'd Loki

Edited by SortaRandom

loki is probably one of the worst frames to face stalker alone because you can't use decoy or invis on him. also get a thirty potatoed weapon and he isn't that bad. I have killing him in one clip with my 20lvl sobek potatoed before although I don't remember what level he was. 

Wait what, you're Loki?

Just Invisibility the sh1t out of the fuccker lol. (unless that has been nerfed that he can now detect you regardless.)

The problem with that is that I don't have nearly enough energy to be able to stay invisible until he dies, due to lack of both Continuity and general firepower. Also, decloaking seems to be a bit of an issue for me, since he's proven to be more than capable of destroying me in a tiny fraction of a second. XD

Do you have any tips on how to avoid the dreaded Slash Dash? 'Cause he seems to be able to do it awfully fast after teleporting behind me. Like I mentioned already, I fired at an oblivious Stalker in another room and was dead before the recoil even went back down. XD

EDIT: Oh, invisibility doesn't work? Shucks. That doesn't help my case at all. XD

Edited by SortaRandom

1: GET. A. POTATO. This cannot be stressed enough. Without one, you are only half the Tenno you could be.

2: High DPS Weapon. It doesnt matter what it is, but it needs to damage very quickly. Hikou, Hek, Kunai, Dread, Doesnt matter....just something that hits hard.

3. DODGE. When the stalker shows up, realize that probably the first thing he is going to do is Slash Dash directly for you. Get around a corner, over a box, or even jump directly at him (Crouch at the same time, so you can do a flying kick to his head) so that he goes under you. Just keep away from him.

4: After he starts shooting at you, Unload on his head. Dont stop firing, unless you are low enough on health that you are going to die in the next 2 seconds. If you keep pouring damage into him, and have a strong enough weapon, You will be fine.

Also, Find a good clan. If you dont have one already i can get you one. Having friends on your side against him makes him almost useless.

Well the easiest way for me to kill him is hop in Frost, the second he appears pop a snow globe and F*** him up with despair. It takes around 10-15 shots, or around 7-10 seconds to kill him  with the mods I have. Twin Gremlins(rank 30, potatoed, same mods as despair) took a little longer but not by that much. Ofcourse any other frame would do as well, just avoid his slash dash, it does 1000 damage( tested it on frost, back then had 990 shield, it took them down and he did 6-7 health damage to me, now with vigor as well as shields I dont even have to avoid him, i can just shoot him in the face). Just level your damage mods and you'll have no problems.

The problem with that is that I don't have nearly enough energy to be able to stay invisible until he dies, due to lack of both Continuity and general firepower. Also, decloaking seems to be a bit of an issue for me, since he's proven to be more than capable of destroying me in a tiny fraction of a second. XD

Do you have any tips on how to avoid the dreaded Slash Dash? 'Cause he seems to be able to do it awfully fast after teleporting behind me. Like I mentioned already, I fired at an oblivious Stalker in another room and was dead before the recoil even went back down. XD

EDIT: Oh, invisibility doesn't work? Shucks. That doesn't help my case at all. XD

To avoid slash dash, you need to stay within a medium range. If you get too far, he will slash dash or  teleport (or both).

But be careful with the hate and the despair. When he gets the bow (he sucks with the bow) it's time to strike.

No it does work, the dude above you doesn't know what he's saying. Invis works on Stalker, so does Smoke Screen for Ash...

Well a good Flow and Streamline does well already.

To avoid the Slash Dash, you know he spawns right after the 3rd taunt, so you have 2 taunts to find some place high and dry.

I've just read that they tweaked him so he won't spawn if you're high and dry (so on boxes) but as soon as you see the 3rd taunt, get somewhere safe and blast the #@*&$@, use Invis to relocate to a temp. safe zone if you're running low on shields.

And yeah, as most people here are saying, acquire a potatoe, acquire a Dread weapon (Kunai, or Hikou works too...) or the Hek shotgun...

Stuff with a nice dps. If that is impossible, then it's a tank-battle who can survive the longest :D

One way of avoiding his Slash Dash is to climb to a higher elevation (climb a box, ledge, etc.) The only problem with this is it leaves you out in the open to be shot. For taking the Stalker down, I generally use Despairs (which unfortunately are Stalker drops) but any projectile secondary will do. If you're going solo I recommend taking at least one lvl30/well modded weapon even if you are leveling the other two, just in case he decides to pay you a visit.

Nice post by the way, it was fun to read.

No it does work, the dude above you doesn't know what he's saying. Invis works on Stalker, so does Smoke Screen for Ash...

Well a good Flow and Streamline does well already.

To avoid the Slash Dash, you know he spawns right after the 3rd taunt, so you have 2 taunts to find some place high and dry.

I've just read that they tweaked him so he won't spawn if you're high and dry (so on boxes) but as soon as you see the 3rd taunt, get somewhere safe and blast the #@*&$@, use Invis to relocate to a temp. safe zone if you're running low on shields.

And yeah, as most people here are saying, acquire a potatoe, acquire a Dread weapon (Kunai, or Hikou works too...) or the Hek shotgun...

Stuff with a nice dps. If that is impossible, then it's a tank-battle who can survive the longest :D

Ooh, tank battle. With 255 Shields and 255 Health, that'll certainly be a close match. XD

While it's recommended to get a potato, are there any tips for me if I used, say, an unpotato'd Kunai? I generally like to stay away from cash purchases in free games, and I'm saving the 50 Plat for a Warframe slot and two Inventory expansions, should I need them. XD

Edited by SortaRandom

... All three stalkers that I've faced are level 45.

The thing is that a level 45 stalker is little to no challenge to players that are decked out  to survive T3 void runs who are filled with level 100 or so enemies. For you a lvl 45 Stalker is a real threat, but for players like me (Even though I'm not highly decked out) Stalker has become just another mob to plow through.

Last night I was playing with a team when Stalker showed up. As he appeared we opened fire on him. He died, literally, before he could even move.

Ooh, tank battle. With 255 Shields and 255 Health, that'll certainly be a close match. XD

While it's recommended to get a potato, are there any tips for me if I used, say, an unpotato'd Kunai? I generally like to stay away from cash purchases in free games, and I'm saving the 50 Plat for a Warframe slot and two Inventory expansions, should I need them. XD

Personally, that first Potato is worth using the starting plat for, but thats just my opinion. You are doing exactly what you should though, saving for slots. The only things i have ever bought in this game are Weapon and Warframe slots. Now i have every frame, Max'd, Potato'd, and most of them Forma'd twice, about 35 weapons, decked out like the frames, and im feeling very good about having built everything myself.

With a stock Kunai, the most important mods you can put on are, in order of importance: Barrel Diffusion(max), Hornet Strike(at least lvl 5), Gunslinger(max). If you put those on, they will by themselves be enough to kill the stalker every time. And you can put them all on without having a potato.

Well dude, you can get them from Alerts as well.

https://twitter.com/WarframeAlerts << official twitter alert page, just check there, even grab the app on your phone if you can so it notifies you when there's a good alert. And then try to be on when there's a Catalyst. Get it, build it, use it. 

And I would recommend the Kunai yes because it comes with 2 V-slots. (Kunai, Hikou and Dread do) so you can basically pick whichever you like more/think is best) You can put a good Hornet Strike in there and a Barrel Diffusion, both halved. And some elemental damage if you have the mod capacity for it idk, experiment a bit.

It sounds like you were solo vs the stalker the times you reported? For a < 30 lvl frame with a < 30 weapon, that can be an issue. Almost all the times the stalker was killed in my missions were with a full squad of 4 frames each with at least on go-to weapon. 

Squad play matters - by the time the lights flicker the second time we all know, thru chat, the stalker is coming and who the target is. The target usually jumps/climbs up high on something and the rest of us station around him. Stalker comes.. we whale on him, dies in about 5 seconds. (then he drops BPs for a weapon we all have n copies of... or nothing... but that's a separate issue).

If you're soloing the stalker,you can also find an obstacle or small hallway area where you can run around in tight circle while putting an obstacle in Stalkers line of sight - reduces his dash and arrows, allows you to peek out and pour ammo into him, lather rinse, repeat.

Main thing tho' is that you have, like many of the comments here point out, a weap that outguns him and a frame that can take a few hits.

On a  side note, has the Stalker ever used Despair against you guys. He usually doesn't last long enough to fire more than an arrow in the games I've been lately so I couldn't test it my self.

The Stalker has used Despair before; I can never solo the Stalker as Rhino for some reason...

EDIT: As a side note, the Stalker carries incredible resistance to damage compared to other enemies, even when using armor ignoring weapons. It was interesting to see 8's (initial shot) and 14's (DOT) when using an Acrid and 95's (Split Chamber doubles that value) when using the Lanka against a Level 76 Stalker.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Easy, low-level methods of killing the Stalker:

1. Jump ontop of a box or a crate. The thing that one-shots you is his Excalibur copy-cat Slide Dash move. He can't hit you with it if you're ontop of something. He takes quite long to aim and pull the strings of his Dread on you, so you can usually shoot at him and then just move back when he looks like he is ready to fire. Rinse and repeat.

2. Let the other enemies do it for you. The Stalker is his own faction and as such enemies found on the map will attack him. Especially effective on Infested maps - again just jump up on a crate or box and watch the Stalker duke it out with the Infested below. He usually loses due to sheer numbers.

Edited by Brimir

Yeah, the tactic of letting other enemies take him out is how I beat him for Hate. I had just started leveling Trinity (which Link doesn't work on Stalker), and he popped up on a Grineer Defense map of all places. I jumped on top of some crates, put Link on so the Grineer couldn't damage me, and Stalker had to turn and fight the Grineer. A Heavy Gunner mowed him down, but he took out most of the chumps beforehand.

Thanks, guys!

I've tried to pit the stalker against one of the other factions (like when I zorencoptered out of the Grineer-infested rooms in the 2nd and 3rd battles), but it hasn't gone so well. The worst a Grineer has ever done to him is tell him to keep his mother out of this, and the worst thing the Stalker has done to the Grineer is to give them the silent treatment. XD

I'll get working on building these Kunai, and maybe a new Frame too. Thanks!

loki is probably one of the worst frames to face stalker alone because you can't use decoy or invis on him. also get a thirty potatoed weapon and he isn't that bad. I have killing him in one clip with my 20lvl sobek potatoed before although I don't remember what level he was. 

i have to disagree here... i am a loki and i solo stalker... and i dont know if it is a bugg or not but he cant see you in invi mode... i faced him countless times and all i have to do is invi then make a pin cushion out of him with my despair...

with my loki it would take only less than 20 seconds to kill him... loki may be not the best but is certainly not the worse facing him...

1. get a second frame if you dont like loki otherwise potato dat boy 

2. Max invis. i do not stress this enough

3.Get good freinds soloing is hard and as loki is the fastest frame in the game (by 0.5 percent :0) and all your other friends can shoot him with no worry

4. get up on a box...or somthing

5. use a MAXed weapon when stalker 'hunting" stalker shooting him with a level 4 latron.....

6.If your getting overwhelmed run into a group of enemies they will sorta help (Infested are great at this. the little guys are like lawn mowers ;)

hope i helped

if your name end with in... time to get out

i have to disagree here... i am a loki and i solo stalker... and i dont know if it is a bugg or not but he cant see you in invi mode... i faced him countless times and all i have to do is invi then make a pin cushion out of him with my despair...

with my loki it would take only less than 20 seconds to kill him... loki may be not the best but is certainly not the worse facing him...

Invisiblity and Decoy are probably the best Stalker killing tools in the game.

Just put the Decoy where he can't reach it, and/or go Invisible and kick his butt.