Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New mission type: Prison Break

MKhrome

I think that DE are missing a trick with how current tilesets are used and how players move through missions. 

Imagine a (purely optional, of course) mission type where you start as a prisoner. You hack your way out, and have to find the exit of the Grineer or Corpus facility.

The trick here is, the map is not linear(ish), nor are you given a waypoint to follow. The map would also be fairly vertical, rather than the mostly "flat" progression of tiles currently used. The point is to find the exit in a labyrinthian setting, you have to find the correct way back to the extraction point. The enemy faction could throw up blockades or checkpoints. Stealth frames would be given an additional set of challenges: Not necessarily to "balance" the map in their disadvantage, but to give them more options or optional challenges, possibly with extra rewards.

I think there's room for a mission type where you can't necessarily race to the end, where survival and movement are focused on in equal amounts, rather than just one or the other, which i feel is the case with most of the current mission types. You would not need a lot of extra content to create this either: Some tiles would need some more vertical connections possibly (and extra secrets), but that's it.

In the long term i could see some tilesets getting extra tiles added which specifically need certain warframe ability to be able to cross, like needing Ivara or Nova to help a team across an abyss (with a dashwire or wormhole), and similar challenges for other frames which only spawn when the relevant warframe is in the party. 

I realize that this style of mission will likely not appeal to everyone, or even a majority, but i think it'd add a pretty cool twist on the current style of missions with pretty much no overlap with an existing type. You could eventually add this as a dynamic fail state result of being captured/killed in another mission, which would lead to a prison break rather than a game over screen.

8 minutes ago, Urlan said:

So is this a variant of the Zanuka Harvester capture mission then?

Actually, yes. I've never actually had that mission myself (TIL it exists!). 

Does it have the vertical labyrinth layout, and a lack of waypoints to guide you?

EDIT: Watching a video on it now, seems like it does.

Kind of seems like a waste to hide this so deeply though. On the other hand, that's how WF does things 🙂

Edited by MKhrome

23 minutes ago, MKhrome said:

The trick here is, the map is not linear(ish), nor are you given a waypoint to follow.

There used to be a Nightmare condition where the map/waypoints were removed.

It is no longer in the game. I don't think they would be eager to revisit that.

Just now, peterc3 said:

There used to be a Nightmare condition where the map/waypoints were removed.

It is no longer in the game. I don't think they would be eager to revisit that.

Damn, that's too bad :<

I thought this'd be one of the strengths of random map generation. 

3 hours ago, MKhrome said:

Damn, that's too bad :<

I thought this'd be one of the strengths of random map generation. 

Still, there is always room in the future for such missions, if only as a type of rescue or escape ourselves.