Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Game Needs Dedicated Servers

ZIGS

It does need dedicated servers. I hope they are intending to do that. Im not really sure why we don't have them. Plenty of similar free to play games run on dedicated servers, and did even in their betas before people started dropping cash on them. And this game has a bunch of people paying up to $250 ahead of time.

It's something they said would be nice to have, but it's not planned. As others have said, the issue with lag is almost always playing with someone who lives too far away from you. Once the playerbase is larger and the matchmaking system more polished, lag will be less of an issue. If the game could detect who has the best ping relative to the other players and the computer best suited for hosting and migrates to them automatically, I think that would go a long way as well.

The peer to peer system they're using has a lot of benefits. It cuts their overhead down, allowing them to spend more of their resources on making content. It also means the game will cost less to maintain, so it should be able to stay profitable (and therefor running) for longer, which I realise may be kind of a morbid thought when it's not even released yet.

Edited by Sealgaire

TBH distance between host and other players isn't so much an issue rather than a number of other factors outside their control with the peer to peer setup we have now. Also I've found instances where I'm fairly sure the lag was caused by issues with the host's PC rather than internet connection as gameplay elements such as doors, lockers, enemies, hit regestry on shots fired or melee attacks, weapon swaps, skill usage, etc have lagged horribly yet squad chat doesn't lag at all.

Should they decide to have dedicated servers though I wouldn't expect them before Open Beta.

TBH distance between host and other players isn't so much an issue rather than a number of other factors outside their control with the peer to peer setup we have now. Also I've found instances where I'm fairly sure the lag was caused by issues with the host's PC rather than internet connection as gameplay elements such as doors, lockers, enemies, hit regestry on shots fired or melee attacks, weapon swaps, skill usage, etc have lagged horribly yet squad chat doesn't lag at all.

Should they decide to have dedicated servers though I wouldn't expect them before Open Beta.

No that's not a problem with the PC. In almost all the games I've played, I've experienced this. I live in Australia which means I'm basically far away from EVERYONE so unless the many hundreds of people I've played with had terrible computers, it's just the distance that's the problem. When I host or play with someone that's actually near me, I don't have these problems.

Mind you I'm perfectly fine with the lag, just don't ask me to equip a boltor/akbolto >_> It's somewhat useable but incredibly annoying.

I'd love to see dedicated servers or at the very least, better match making. I've been in numerous games where the frame rate has suffered because of the game i've joined or where my fellow squad-mates are popping around all over the place and affecting the game as I couldn't even attack enemies.

Protip: Hosting servers is really expensive.

You going to pay for em? Im all in if that's the case

Dont say that sort of thing. Plenty of games with the same model have their own dedicated servers, and they arent/didn't getting the amount of up-front cash in beta that this game is.

Dont say that sort of thing. Plenty of games with the same model have their own dedicated servers, and they arent/didn't getting the amount of up-front cash in beta that this game is.

Show me proof these games did it with the same amount of finances as DE has and we'll talk.

Show me proof these games did it with the same amount of finances as DE has and we'll talk.

Unless you would argue that those other games can not support themselves and some behind the scenes funding is keeping them alive while they bleed away money (such games don't stay running) then it doesn't matter how much funding the game had to start with, im allowing for peer to peer to be a fine temporary solution.

As far as someone else above mentioning how it will keep the game alive longer. Planning for the game to die already is not the way you should be looking at things, there are games that have been running in excess of a decade still being profitable. A game that dies did something wrong. That people are saying things like this tells me that at least subconciously other people are concerned about this games longevity based on what they have seen so far. People will say its in beta, which is true, but when developer responses of concerns confirm that the undesirable issues are actually what they think is a-ok (orokin issues for example, or them being "happy" that people mostly just log in for alerts and daily reward) that's not really an excuse that can fly.

Instead of going along with it and defending all these things complain about it. There is still a chance this game can be a great, successful, long term game. Its a very good foundation. But everyone with a voice who instead tries to convince themselves a problem is fine rather than face the threat of failure is just contributing to that inevitable disaster. The TOR forums are still full of people defending the game. Those of us here complaining are here as proof that we believe in the game, the complaints are to make sure its all it can be.

Im in an over 300 player clan and people are already starting to mentaly prepare themselves for the game to fail based on what they have been seeing, not the issues themselves, but the responce (or lack of) to the issues existance.

Edited by Archade

http://en.wikipedia....igital_Extremes

Founded in 1993. Also, as you quoted me saying, I was asking for proof of finances, not some anecdote about the perceived size of the company.

I have literally zero clue how what the year they were founded in has anything to do with the size or finances of DE. Small, independant developers almost always have less resources available than those backed by publishers. It's so basic it's kind of silly to have to even state.

I have literally zero clue how what the year they were founded in has anything to do with the size or finances of DE. Small, independant developers almost always have less resources available than those backed by publishers. It's so basic it's kind of silly to have to even state.

Here's a quote from the wiki that was too hard for you to read.

"Unreal was a first-person shooter created in 1998, and was followed up with Unreal Tournament in 1999. Both received many editorial and industry awards including Game of the Year.[3] Subsequent sequels in the Unreal franchise, included Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament 2003, and Unreal Tournament 2004. To date, the Unreal series has sold more than 15 million units worldwide across a multitude of gaming platforms including PlayStation 2, Dreamcast, Xbox, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac and PC. Several of the game's iterations are currently available for download on Steam (software)."

Unreal is just one of their IPs. See that part about more than 15 million units sold? Even at an average price of $30, which is low, that's a revenue of $225 million give or take. So, no, it's not small.

I still have no clue why you responded to a request for proof, i.e. facts, documents, sources, whatever, with some random anecdote about how you have no idea of what you're talking about. It's so basic it's kind of silly to have to even state.

$225 million revenue as per your example

Minus salarys of staff over that time starting with the development of the first game in that franchise

Minus costs to keep the office/building the company occupies along with utilities and maintenence of said office or building.

Minus costs of hardware and software needed for continued development of current and new titles

Minus the costs for advertisements and marketing

The string of things that cut into that sales revenue just keeps growing. Hardly any of it is cheap.