Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Being Forced To Switch Weapons And Frames To Rank Up Is Not Fun.

Aetrion

Mastery is a measure of how many weapons and frames you've become experienced with.

That's what Mastery Rank is all about -- a singular Tenno becoming an expert at many DIFFERENT fighting techniques, which includes DIFFERENT weapons and Warframes.

You do not become an expert at  DIFFERENT weapons by leveling the same weapon repeatedly over and over and over again, do you?

What a lot of people end up doing is just bring their crap weapons for mastery to xini and not use it. It gets xp and you never have to fire a shot from it to get it to 30.

lol.

What a lot of people end up doing is just bring their crap weapons for mastery to xini and not use it. It gets xp and you never have to fire a shot from it to get it to 30.

Pretty much this. To get to mastery 7 I had to lvl up the cronus, jaw sword, plasma sword and pangolin. Thank goodness for double affinity weekend.

Ok, so mastery does nothing but show the world that you've played with a lot of gear and unlock new gear for you to use.

If you don't feel like you need to switch weapons or 'frame, you shouldn't be worried about mastery at all. It's not an issue. Mastery level 2 can be unlocked by leveling up the starting weapons and 'frame along with the "stepping stone" weapons and will unlock the Rhino and Bolt weapons. Mastery level 4 can be unlocked by levelling up 2 'frames and 6 weapons, which gets you every weapon except the clantech stuff.

Getting to M7 is a little tricky, but it's meant to be. It's the endgame uberarsenal. For that you need 122500 mastery, which is about 7 'frames and 8 sets of weapons. Sure, that might seem a bit off, but seriously guys, that's the amount of work you need to put in to unlock EVERYTHING in the game. Everything. 7 suits with their personal weapon sets and the starting weapons. That's it.

I was playing and mastering with my excalibur 'till I've got rank 6. No big deal, 122500 exp points are freely obtainable via maxing your sidearms and melees. So stick to your favorite frame and primary weapon, install there as much stars as possible, while other weapon categories will leveling in passive mode. 

Nobody's forcing you to change your preferences. But if you wish something requiring rank 7, this ALREADY means you're ALREADY changing your preferences. You do not wish burston anymore, you wish supra. So who's forcing you to wish something? Only you are, no one else.

I can understand the OP point, I'm leveling the Grataka only for mastery xp, and even if it ends as a ok weapon the start is really crappy.

As I see it, the problem is not that one has to level weapons to get mastery ranks, it's that some are a pain in the &#! to level because they suck.

It's why it's called a Mastery Rank : it shows how much of the weapons and frames that the Tenno use you have mastered (ranked up) in their usage. If it wasn't that some content was MR locked, I don't think this thread would have had much reason to be.

It also goes hand in hand with the rank up tests : the earlier ones are really easy but as you go on, they get more complicated and help make sure you are up to par to your mastery of "Guns, Blades and Warframe armors".

Besides, if anything, you might actually come across a weapon you might enjoy that you thought you'd dislike if it wasn't for the game somewhat encouraging you to try different things.

Edited by Wiegraf

Mastery is a measure of how many weapons and frames you've become experienced with.

That's what Mastery Rank is all about -- a singular Tenno becoming an expert at many DIFFERENT fighting techniques, which includes DIFFERENT weapons and Warframes.

You do not become an expert at  DIFFERENT weapons by leveling the same weapon repeatedly over and over and over again, do you?

And you master weapons by not using them at all, because that makes a lot of sense.

I'm just curious as of what kind of weapon will justify a requirement of mastery rank 20+ later on...

Mastery rank 20 requires 1,000,000 mastery That's leveling 30 Warframes and 274 Weapons to level 30.

Needless to say that you have to farm the resources/blueprints to make all those on top of that.

It's also like having to level up that mage before you get their mega-nuke spell.  Which, in nearly all cases, you actually have to do.

The whole argument is basically ridiculous.  "I want X, but I have to do Y to get X, but I don't want to". 

Course, we can apply that everywhere, can't we?

"I want prime weapons, but void missions aren't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want maxed serration, but grinding out cores isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want level 30 weapons, but using level 1 weapons isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want end of mission rewards, but doing missions isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

It's a ridiculous line that ultimately removes the *entire game*.

Now, lets get down to brass tacks and drop all pretenses, and just admit this is "I want those uber-powerful clan weapons, but I don't want to have to actually work to acquire them the way everybody else had to, but DE should just changes the rules so I get what I want without earning it cause I'm too good to do that!" 

All your examples still let you use weapons you like in the process.

Not to beat a dead horse (which has been pretty much done to this point), Mastery is about understanding various weapons. Yes, right now there are weapons and frames that can be described as "Be All End All", but that doesn't make them fun to play.

All the frames in the game are actually a lot of fun when you spend the time to learn them. I never expected my hands down favorite frame to every change from Nova to Nyx, but sure enough, that's what happened. I've got different weapon loadouts planned for every kind of mission with my friends, depending on the role I will fill. Are we playing a Defense Mission? Frost Prime with Latron Prime/Hind with Dual Bronco/Hikou Sidearm and a melee weapon of my (comical) choice, usually the Orthos since it is my favorite melee weapon. Already got a frost? Then I'll bring my Nyx armed with a Hind and Twin Vipers.

The moral of this rant is pretty simple: Mastery isn't just about making progress. Mastery is a reflection of you, the player, and your willingness to try things you wouldn't try normally.

Unfortunately, this is the mentality of "gamers." It's really sad when you think about it, too.

Want to blow your mind? Play a game from 10+ years ago. Play a game before such a thing as "end game" even existed.

Trust me, you can have an amazing game without this mystical, magical "end game" that people keep talking about.

I do this all the time. Deus Ex, Breath of Fire 2, Earthbound, Shadowrun on the Genesis/SNES, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, AvP 2, Fallout 1/2 and New Vegas (modern gets a pass), Planescape: Torment, the Baldur's Gate Trilogy (1, 2, and ToB combined with a megamod), Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, etc. Hell, I still play Robotrek, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 3, and Xenogears.

Whenever I get bored of Warframe, happens very often, I have to force myself to play one map on Phobos for unlocking, I just go back to my older games.

Well, those or Prototype because the parkour there is actually @(*()$ amazing.

I have always enjoyed sniper rifles, so I started the game with the Snipetron, then went to the Vulkar, got both of those to 30, and recently found that my clan had unlocked a new weapon, the Lanka. I spent a whole day getting the materials for it together, only to then realize I wouldn't be able to use it without first maxing at least two or three more warframes and at least a dozen other weapons that I have no interest in. That's just stupid. I spent so much time as a sniper, why the heck does the game think forcing me to use everything else is required for me to be allowed to build a bigger sniper rifle?

So why can't I go back when I forma the weapons and frames I like instead of having to do it with ones I'm indifferent to?

because things that are difficult to get are supposed to be better, and this is the reply to all of your arguments

It's also like having to level up that mage before you get their mega-nuke spell.  Which, in nearly all cases, you actually have to do.

The whole argument is basically ridiculous.  "I want X, but I have to do Y to get X, but I don't want to". 

Course, we can apply that everywhere, can't we?

"I want prime weapons, but void missions aren't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want maxed serration, but grinding out cores isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want level 30 weapons, but using level 1 weapons isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want end of mission rewards, but doing missions isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

It's a ridiculous line that ultimately removes the *entire game*.

Now, lets get down to brass tacks and drop all pretenses, and just admit this is "I want those uber-powerful clan weapons, but I don't want to have to actually work to acquire them the way everybody else had to, but DE should just changes the rules so I get what I want without earning it cause I'm too good to do that!" 

I don't think anyone is asking to get anything for free, we just want more than one way to grind out mastery.

I love trying new gear, and I use a pretty wide variety. I use Volt - Braton for Corpus missions. Ember/Loki - Hek for Infested. Loki/Banshee - Boltor for Grineer. Vauban - Infested Defense, Rhino - Grineer Defense. I usually use a Lex for pocket sniping, and I used a Viper for Spy missions until i tried the Despair. Heat Sword for Infested, and when the Dark Sword got nerfed I switched to the Plasma Sword for everything else. So you can see I'm not adverse to trying out different gear and am, in fact, systematically working my way through everything.

I evaluate all my weapons on low levels with no mods because, lets face it, everything is awesome with maxed out mods on it. I can tell within the first few levels of a weapon whether I like it or not. Once you figure out that you don't like a weapon leveling it becomes a chore. The next 25 levels of that weapon detract from the game. You don't use them because you don't like them, so they take forever to level, and it takes *longer* to get to the next weapon, which may turn out to be your new favorite.