The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Seems To Have Memory Leak Since U15

Emener

Are you running the game in windowed or borderless windowed mode?

If so, can you please try running the game in fullscreen and see if that helps at all?

Additionally, I would recommend toggling vsync to see if that solves any of the issues as well.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your results. It may be able to help us track down what is going wrong.

SPECS: WinXP 32bit with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 430, Intel Dual Core E5700. No hardware is overclocked, all temperatures are below 65°C during full load. Naturally Running DX9.

Running normally in borderless window mode, because the game always craps itself when I alt-tab in fullscreen mode... because I can never get back in. I hear sounds, and I know that I can use every controls and interface, I just don't see anything since the "borderless window" never renders, I continue to see the desktop.

This issue exists for me ever since I play the game (( Update 9 )) and have reported this repeatedly, and every major patch I tried to see if that still is an issue. Except this one, since it was so broken that I sometimes Can't even get into the options. 15.0.7 has made it stable enough for me to at least get into the game to fetch extractors, so I will try this and report back.

Vsync is normally on, will try toggle it off, see what it brings.

I have heard that turning off multithreaded rendering might help, will try that as well, even though I don't get my hopes up.

Reporting back in the evening when I have access to my computer again *Placed this as a reminder*

Edited by Khunvyel

Running normally in borderless window mode, because the game always craps itself when I alt-tab in fullscreen mode... because I can never get back in. I hear sounds, and I know that I can use every controls and interface, I just don't see anything since the "borderless window" never renders, I continue to see the desktop.

I have your same OS and RAM, intel e2180, nvidia 630

And I have your same issue.

But i think it's just our hardaware :)

I had all the problems but  after installing the Hotfix, and doing the following advice from a support ticket, I can run it now smoothly:

"Disable "Runtime tessellation" at the in-game settings and disable DirectX 11 in the launcher settings menu (the gear on the top right corner of the launcher)."

32 bit PC with Nvidia GPU
Edited by Junjan2001

i know directX11 but whre the runtime tesselation?

I had all the problems but  after installing the Hotfix, and doing the following advice from a support ticket, I can run it now smoothly:

"Disable "Runtime tessellation" at the in-game settings and disable DirectX 11 in the launcher settings menu (the gear on the top right corner of the launcher)."

32 bit PC with Nvidia GPU

This is what I have so far;

SPECS: WinXP 32bit with 2GB RAM, Nvidia 430, Intel Dual Core E5700. No hardware is overclocked, all temperatures are below 65°C during full load. Naturally Running DX9.

Between each crashes, there was a restart and enough pause prior to that. Trying to boot the game any time after a crash WITHOUT restarting, only results in yellow overlays which often don't even let me past the login screen. So best attempt to run Warframe is right after a reboot. Funny enough, I can play and run anything else without any issues after such a crash with ONE exception; when the "DX device creation error" comes, then it's done with all games - except those I can forcefully run in OpenGL. So that might lead the culprit to be a DirectX "optimization" which might have taken a wrong turn, considering some people reported positive changes when unchecking DX11 / DX10

Total System memory footprint before starting Warframe: ~500MB. I cannot get lower than that, sorry. Blame Steam! that's the time I wish I had a standalone version of Warframe installed for these tests.
Total System memory footprint while in Liset: ~1.8GB . That is about 450MB bigger than U14
It has to be noted though, that total PHYSICAL memory use never tried to exceed 2GB during a crash. It never peaked the physical limits.
I verified, then optimized download cache after downloading EACH hotfix.

Crash 1: WAR-349494
Deleting ee.cfg as suggested in 15.0.8 patch notes, booting game, switching from the default 720p windowed mode to 1280x1024 fullscreen and turned v-sync off which was on before. Game crashed a few seconds later after the settings have been applied. The weird thing was though, other than not having default keybinds, none of my graphics options have been changed other than resolution and window mode.

Crash 2: WAR-349494 (( <--- I don't need to understand why this is the same bug number than before :D ))
Logged in again to re-customize my keybinds after deleting ee.cfg . Game crashed as I was in the midst of going down the list to change my configuration.

Crash 3: WAR-349554
Next attempt to reconfigure my keys - crashed when escape menu was half loaded. No other changes could be made.

Crash 4: WAR-349554 (( again? ))
Now I disabled multithreaded rendering to see if that helps anything. First thing it did was starting in 1280x720 window mode again, weirdly enough. Memory footprint at 1.5GB this time. Once I was in the game, I disabled EVERYTHING in the options. I was running with low settings everywhere and only had the following on; High Dynamic Range, Anisotropic filtering, Dynamic lights, Weapon Elementral FX. Those are now OFF. Then I went to Borderless window mode 1280x1024. Then I selected fullscreen mode. Crashed halfway there.
Interesting to note, with multithreaded rendering disabled, Kernel usage was a bit higher than normal, but no difference in FPS has been noted.
With all these options off, FPS times are: default starting position looking out the window: 80. Opening escape menu: 96. Looking at option menu: 112  (( certainly is a coincidence that both increments happen in steps of 16. right? ))

Booted WITHOUT a crash. Made sure all settings are still super low, fullscreen is on, v-sync is still off.

Booted another time WITHOUT a crash but this time WITH multithreaded rendering on. Nothing changed. Neither FPS , nor Memory usage nor GPU load nor CPU core distribution or load. I have a feeling though, that multithreaded rendering is not affecting anything because the option is ALWAYS enabled again next time I open the launcher.

Crash 5: 349228 (( decreasing numbers, am I going back in time? :D ))
After those two successful boots I wanted to try and see if I can actually play the game now with 300MB less memory usage and see how good it would be to turn Vsync on again. Didn't even get to escape window, crashed right after successful login

Booted without a crash. Had an idea. Turned v-sync on AND turned the 4 other options on that I normally play with.

Crash 6: 349554 (( hey I know that one! ))
Was crashing when going from Fullscreen to borderless fullscreen. here is the magic though; Memory usage REMAINED at 1,5GB when it previously was 1.8GB Well ain't that something? FPS dropped significantly in borderless fullscreen with v-sync on. That beckons testing.

Crash 7 & 8 : 349228 & 349616 Was dumped between successful logins as I was testing FPS with different configurations.

Standing at default starting position with Multithreaded rendering on:
Borderless fullscreen + vsync on = 50~60 fps. fluctuates horribly. But my refresh rate is 75Hz and I can never hit that, regardless of how little to render there is on screen.
Borderless Fullscreen + vsync off = wiggles between 55 and 70, sometimes drops down to 40 for a split second. CPU load is almost full load on both cores.
True Fullscreen + vsync on = 75 FPS. Solid. No wiggle, no jiggle.
True Fullscreen + vsync off = 80 FPS Interesting to note is; CPU load is NOT at 100% more like 75%

Default position with Multithreaded rendering OFF;
Borderless Fullscreen + vsync on = Wiggles bad between 52 and 62 but CPU load is somewhere down at... 30% ? That doesn't sound right.
Borderless Fullscreen + vsync off = between 69 and 71FPS, rather solid. CPU load not 100%, but 60%
True Fullscreen + v-sync on = 75FPS solid, as expected.
True Fullscreen + vsync off = 74FPS. That had me curious. Why is toggling multithreaded rendering having unbalanced performance differences? ON = borderless down, fullscreen up. OFF = borderless up, fullscreen down. I checked options to see if I had accidentally hit something; no, v-sync still off. I tested escape menu and options menu fps. 90fps menu, 106 options. Those weird 16FPS jumps again.

CONCLUSION?

I have no idea why my memory footprint is now smaller than it was prior to starting the tests. I am wondering if it would help to push every single graphic option to max, and then turn everything off again. Like a forced fill, then flush. But alas, I ran out of time for today.

Sadly, all the FPS related tests and the smaller memory footprint still doesn't allow me to play the game, but I hope this will help getting there somehow :)

This is what I have so far;

Between each crashes, there was a restart and enough pause prior to that. Trying to boot the game any time after a crash WITHOUT restarting, only results in yellow overlays which often don't even let me past the login screen. So best attempt to run Warframe is right after a reboot. Funny enough, I can play and run anything else without any issues after such a crash with ONE exception; when the "DX device creation error" comes, then it's done with all games - except those I can forcefully run in OpenGL. So that might lead the culprit to be a DirectX "optimization" which might have taken a wrong turn, considering some people reported positive changes when unchecking DX11 / DX10

Total System memory footprint before starting Warframe: ~500MB. I cannot get lower than that, sorry. Blame Steam! that's the time I wish I had a standalone version of Warframe installed for these tests.

Total System memory footprint while in Liset: ~1.8GB . That is about 450MB bigger than U14

It has to be noted though, that total PHYSICAL memory use never tried to exceed 2GB during a crash. It never peaked the physical limits.

I verified, then optimized download cache after downloading EACH hotfix.

Crash 1: WAR-349494

Deleting ee.cfg as suggested in 15.0.8 patch notes, booting game, switching from the default 720p windowed mode to 1280x1024 fullscreen and turned v-sync off which was on before. Game crashed a few seconds later after the settings have been applied. The weird thing was though, other than not having default keybinds, none of my graphics options have been changed other than resolution and window mode.

Crash 2: WAR-349494 (( <--- I don't need to understand why this is the same bug number than before :D ))

Logged in again to re-customize my keybinds after deleting ee.cfg . Game crashed as I was in the midst of going down the list to change my configuration.

Crash 3: WAR-349554

Next attempt to reconfigure my keys - crashed when escape menu was half loaded. No other changes could be made.

Crash 4: WAR-349554 (( again? ))

Now I disabled multithreaded rendering to see if that helps anything. First thing it did was starting in 1280x720 window mode again, weirdly enough. Memory footprint at 1.5GB this time. Once I was in the game, I disabled EVERYTHING in the options. I was running with low settings everywhere and only had the following on; High Dynamic Range, Anisotropic filtering, Dynamic lights, Weapon Elementral FX. Those are now OFF. Then I went to Borderless window mode 1280x1024. Then I selected fullscreen mode. Crashed halfway there.

Interesting to note, with multithreaded rendering disabled, Kernel usage was a bit higher than normal, but no difference in FPS has been noted.

With all these options off, FPS times are: default starting position looking out the window: 80. Opening escape menu: 96. Looking at option menu: 112  (( certainly is a coincidence that both increments happen in steps of 16. right? ))

Booted WITHOUT a crash. Made sure all settings are still super low, fullscreen is on, v-sync is still off.

Booted another time WITHOUT a crash but this time WITH multithreaded rendering on. Nothing changed. Neither FPS , nor Memory usage nor GPU load nor CPU core distribution or load. I have a feeling though, that multithreaded rendering is not affecting anything because the option is ALWAYS enabled again next time I open the launcher.

Crash 5: 349228 (( decreasing numbers, am I going back in time? :D ))

After those two successful boots I wanted to try and see if I can actually play the game now with 300MB less memory usage and see how good it would be to turn Vsync on again. Didn't even get to escape window, crashed right after successful login

Booted without a crash. Had an idea. Turned v-sync on AND turned the 4 other options on that I normally play with.

Crash 6: 349554 (( hey I know that one! ))

Was crashing when going from Fullscreen to borderless fullscreen. here is the magic though; Memory usage REMAINED at 1,5GB when it previously was 1.8GB Well ain't that something? FPS dropped significantly in borderless fullscreen with v-sync on. That beckons testing.

Crash 7 & 8 : 349228 & 349616 Was dumped between successful logins as I was testing FPS with different configurations.

Standing at default starting position with Multithreaded rendering on:

Borderless fullscreen + vsync on = 50~60 fps. fluctuates horribly. But my refresh rate is 75Hz and I can never hit that, regardless of how little to render there is on screen.

Borderless Fullscreen + vsync off = wiggles between 55 and 70, sometimes drops down to 40 for a split second. CPU load is almost full load on both cores.

True Fullscreen + vsync on = 75 FPS. Solid. No wiggle, no jiggle.

True Fullscreen + vsync off = 80 FPS Interesting to note is; CPU load is NOT at 100% more like 75%

Default position with Multithreaded rendering OFF;

Borderless Fullscreen + vsync on = Wiggles bad between 52 and 62 but CPU load is somewhere down at... 30% ? That doesn't sound right.

Borderless Fullscreen + vsync off = between 69 and 71FPS, rather solid. CPU load not 100%, but 60%

True Fullscreen + v-sync on = 75FPS solid, as expected.

True Fullscreen + vsync off = 74FPS. That had me curious. Why is toggling multithreaded rendering having unbalanced performance differences? ON = borderless down, fullscreen up. OFF = borderless up, fullscreen down. I checked options to see if I had accidentally hit something; no, v-sync still off. I tested escape menu and options menu fps. 90fps menu, 106 options. Those weird 16FPS jumps again.

CONCLUSION?

I have no idea why my memory footprint is now smaller than it was prior to starting the tests. I am wondering if it would help to push every single graphic option to max, and then turn everything off again. Like a forced fill, then flush. But alas, I ran out of time for today.

Sadly, all the FPS related tests and the smaller memory footprint still doesn't allow me to play the game, but I hope this will help getting there somehow :)

DE MUST READ THAT!

15.0.9 brought something new;

>> Fixed issues with some PBR materials having incorrect opacity/alpha write values which resulted in character transmissions not looking correct.

If this is this still halfway related to 32bit OS + nvdia users, then at least on my machine (specs above) there are still problems. That is the same yellow stuff as I mentioned in my other topic

1_31_10_14_8_37_36.jpeg

>> Fixed several crashes and game hangs.

Yup! Despite graphic artefacts and the CPU having 4 times 100% load while the game froze in the Liset, the Game didn't crash! That is a huge improvement, so I'm certain you'll be fixing the game in the end to be playable for 32bit OS + nvidia users!

This might mean that I can HOPEFULLY fix my keyboard bindings again. using WASD and X for use button is yuck :D

EDIT: logged in just now and crashed as I got the forced inbox message which didn't even load half

WAR-350382

And right after, another time. 350166. This time I could at least see what the ingame mail was about.

Edited by Khunvyel

For the first time I dared risking stepping out of the Liset... to the Dojo.

A few seconds after loading initiated, freeze frame, but then it continued to load, except the Liset was GONE. Two other freeze instances later, the game decided to crash.

WAR-351072

What I do find a little sad though is, to see a Halloween specific alert that I have no idea what it is about, and probably won't see for it's remainder :(

Want more tests? get more tests!

I tried downgrading nvidia graphics drivers,

which worked only for display drivers, but physX insists to keep on the newest version. That way I cannot rule out the issue being buried in the physX drivers. I do not want to perform a complete re-installation for reasons that have to do with WindowsXP forcing a key reactivation when too much hardware has been swapped. Despite my installation being legit, I am not willing to risk it's accessibility since windowsXP support has ran out. Chances are that I cannot perform a Windows Key verification any more because of that. And I hope you understand that Warframe is just a game, and I need my operating system so I can actually WORK to have my bills being paid.
So that said, PhysX drivers are ALWAYS the newest version, being 9.14.0702

Going to 296.10 - that was a bad idea. Login screen already showed yellow artefacts and misplaced textures, and game crashed before I could even completely type in my password.
WAR-350856

Tried even older nvidia drivers - 275.33display Crashed in the transition between loading screen ending and login screen startup.
WAR-351072

Getting up in number again, 310.70 which seemed to run stable. I could configure my keys just fine, but when I turned 180° to get to the Orbiter compartment of the Liset - here I am again, crashing. WAR number same as previous one. Which... who would have guessed... is also the same number as in my previous post.

Someone explain to me Crash report numbers one day please :D

Edited by Khunvyel

Same problem here.

I have a high end non gaming Video Card (I use my laptop mainly for work) but which is able to run most demanding games fluently.

Actually it was also able to run Warframe on max settings without a hitch...till U15.

Now I am experiencing my FPS drastically dropping from 100-90 to 15-20 while playing. I've tried to lower graphic effects but seems that doesn't change the situation.

1,7 G on idle and 2.25G while in mission

Laptop Specifics:

i7 4900MQ

16 GB DDR 3 CL 9 1600Mhz

nVidia Quadro K3100 4GB 

SSD Samsung 840 Pro + Secondary HDD

1920x1080 17"

Win 7 Ultimate

So this issue isn't confined to low PC's only.

Edited by Demdemeh

I think I'm having a related problem. Ever since U15 I have periodic fps stutters while in missions, progressing into full on freezes the longer I play for. My PC is definitely not high end but I've never had any problems with running Warframe. After U15 I've lowered my setting across the board but the game still runs terribly. 

Edited by qujokun

Minor contribution, starting the game and puttering around the liset for a few minutes, I checked something else, and then noticed WF was only using 212mb of RAM.

This, in contrast to the 1,600mb of RAM it usually uses post-mission in the liset.

So, my best guess at the moment is that something from in-mission isn't unloading when we return back to the liset.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I was actually quite surprised that WF could be running and using only 212mb--I've never actually seen it that low while at the liset before... but I've also never checked it right after start up.

May be worthwhile to see if any of the stations actually boost it--for the moment, though, I found that significant.

Edited by Llyssa

Yeah this memory leak doesn't happen just for the RAM, my graphics card SLOWLY got it's memory clogged.

After 3 missions I had resources of grineer ship tileset and ceres loaded up, and it's not releasing as most games should. I am idling at a whopping 1,267Mb of VRAM clogged up. Usually on the ship there should be around 500-800Mb.

I also saw my system RAM build up from 2.5Gb which is a normal Windows 7 load, to a whopping 4.7Gb and stays there after missions, and just builds up.

Now this may be the source of all the problems. The lag lately, the physX, RAM clog and many emitters for death animations, could be the cause of all the problems we are having at the moment.

Now usually people have 2Gb of RAM in their video cards, but a big minority has only 1Gb of VRAM, and between 4Gb-8Gb of regular RAM. That alone may explain the performance hit.

I can stay at solid 60 fps thanks to my GTX970, but when I look deeper into the performance, many things that should not be happening, happen.

Bare in mind this is a beast graphics card, most people complaining have high end GTX7/6, which competes on most factors, aside from pixel rendering rate, which usually isn't a problem in games.

In terms of settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Nvidia PhysX Effects: Enabled...(complete lie considering I haven't seen any yet)

Runtime Tessellation: On

Local Reflections: On

HDR: On

Geometry Detail: High

Particle System Quality: High

Shadows: High

Texture Memory: High

Anisotropic Filtering: On (can I have x2, x4, x8, x16 options instead?)

Anti-Aliasing: MSAA (seem to switch to FXAA constantly.)

Depth of field: Off

Motion Blur: Off

Bloom: On

Color Correction: Off

Dynamic Lighting: On

Character Shadows: On

Constant Weapon Trail: On

Weapon Elemental FX: On

Some options don't appear as they don't impact performance directly

Edited by DarkBabylon

I would like to note most people don't have high-end anythings... I'm sporting a 240 GT. This is (literally)murder on my system. =/

EDIT: And when we have had "host elections", I usually win.

Edited by Llyssa

I would like to note most people don't have high-end anythings... I'm sporting a 240 GT. This is (literally)murder on my system. =/

Like I said "most people COMPLAING" I have yet to see a mid end. or in your case low-end. but you may have more insight on statistics than me.

Minor contribution, starting the game and puttering around the liset for a few minutes, I checked something else, and then noticed WF was only using 212mb of RAM.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I was actually quite surprised that WF could be running and using only 212mb--I've never actually seen it that low while at the liset before... but I've also never checked it right after start up.

This is highly interesting because I can never get that far below. Almost instantly hitting 800megs in Liset. I do remember Glen talking about that we should see 400 Megabytes LESS load with all the optimization... but the question is , which systems actually see this improvement.

I fear sometimes, host elections entirely come down to connection quality. One can have a crap computer but a trailblazing internet connection. I remember clearly how it was said that the "laptop" option adds 300ms of LATENCY when it comes to calculate host.

We don't quite know how many people use what kind of hardware. a 32bit system does not equal bad hardware. Windows XP doesn't equal bad hardware. especially since there is 64bit winXP. If I just count in the circle of my acquaintances? I have the weakest rig. BY FAR. So it always differs depending on what one sees, and we usually see only a small, vocal minority on the forums which is not representative of the bigger picture.

Edited by Khunvyel

This is highly interesting because I can never get that far below. Almost instantly hitting 800megs in Liset. I do remember Glen talking about that we should see 400 Megabytes LESS load with all the optimization... but the question is , which systems actually see this improvement.

I am thinking the 32-bit users, but I could be wrong on that.

So just started playing again(i stopped after U15 release, very unplayable at that time).

It seems that the hotfixes did the job.

Archwing is fully playable.

Experienced 0 crashes so far with a few rare hitches.

No more memory leak. It was the same as before U15.

Played in both in windowed mode 1280x720 borderless fullscreen and windowed 1024x576(for increased fps).

DX9, Multi-threading is off.

My specs.

Core2Duo E7200 @2.53GHZ

Power Color AMD 4670 HD OC'd

3.25GB 333Mhz RAM

WinXP SP3 32-bit