Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ability Counters

reXXer

Hello, fellow Tenno,

Having done a search for related terms and turned up negative, here I am. I apologize if I've missed someone's well developed thread on this subject.

Ability counters

A short why

Recently, I've been spending a lot of time playing the funderful, beautiful, broken angel of carnage warframe, Valkyr. Using Hysteria as often as I've come to do so, a thought struck me. How useful it would be if, instead of trying to gut feel the duration of Hysteria, there would be a little counter ticking down it's duration for me, so I can do a deft front flip away from enemies and avoid that pesky damage caused by proximity to survivors of my rampage. This would work well with other warframe abilities as well, like the invulnerability portion of Trinity's Blessing, the duration of her Link, Loki and Ash's invisibility, Ember's Overheat and Valkyr's own Warcry. It could also work well as a helper for abilities that do not directly affect the warframe, of which non-repeatables such as Nekros' Shadows of The Dead and Terrify, Nyx's Chaos, soft repeatables like Loki's Decoy, Saryn's Molt and potentially even fully repeatable but mission critical abilities such as Vauban's Bastille or Frost's Snow Globe.

A not so short how

Obviously not all of the abilities I've just mentioned were created equal for visual feedback regarding their imminent end. Perhaps most of them have a cue near their expiration, as I believe Vauban's Bastille does with the "sparklies" near the deployed sphere fading a few second before the effect is about to run out, and I am just missing these cues. If this is the case, and we would want to retain some measure of immersion by avoiding numbers ticking down, all I'd ask and suggest is to extend the initiative of subtle cues towards all the abilities that would benefit from it, and to please keep these cues consistent to the last 1-2-3 seconds of the abilities, unaffected by duration mods. Also, maybe make some of them a bit more obvious for those of us less perceptive? Please? ^_^

If visual feedback on the play area itself is not the way to go, then perhaps the ye olde icons with numbers that tick down is the right option. Indeed, this is what I had in mind, to begin with. So, perhaps a mini icon of the ability used taking a discreet, tastefully spaced and sized residence under the box that includes your personal warframe stats. Perhaps it could even be a toggle-able box like party health values, and the two options of visual and numeric feedback need not be mutually exclusive, with the numeric being optional. For non-repeatable abilities or soft repeatables that cancel themselves on recast, either affecting the warframe or not, this would be simple to choose representation as a single icon, but what about the field of snow globes? I think the most straightforwardly useful option in that event would be to keep tabs on every repeatable ability that involves a duration, and only listing the one that is about to expire first, then showing the numbers for the next one in line and so on. This would leave it up to the user to remember the order of Snow Globes, Bastilles or whatnot, but let's start with the basics and go from there, shall we?

On a final, small note, I very much enjoy little flourishes, like the icon being a little bigger and fading into size when it first shows up, so you know that something new just happened. Let's have some of that, please?

Thank you for reading! : )

Aaand... this idea flows up again! Make your stakes: would it be implemented this time or not?

On side note i'd like to ask for HP counter for Iron Skin. Inability to recast it while active is alredy a huge downside, just let us see when it's gonna expire!

I just came here to post the exact same. It's so necessary in this game. Not that the abilities have fixed variables, they even vary hardly depending on your mods. I'm also testing a lot with Valkyr and guess how often the time ran out while I just got knockdowned by some shield, rocket or similar. Everything with a timer or another down-counting value should be displayed till it's worn out.

SkyUI is a good example:

Instead of bars ofc a timer. Can be aligned to the left of the Warframe HP outside of that box and no Warframe will ever have more than 4 anyways, cause of the limit of abiltiies. You could use the symbols of the abilities (left ability symbol, right timer then) so the design of those is not wasted. Since nobody looks ever at those symbols anyways.

@OP: The space below the Warframe HP etc. box is used for the new effects like bleeding etc.

But on a sidenote. The ingame UI is not that great to begin with. Clumsy, unasthetical aligned and unpractical for the eye.

The look of the new, huge, overlaying minimap was a step in the right direction.

I really don't think it's too much to ask to get SOME kind of obvious indicator that my ability is about to run out. Maybe a rapid pulsating of the screen for the last 2-3 seconds so I can duck behind some sort of cover to recast with less risk of instant annihilation the moment I stand still.

Aaand... this idea flows up again! Make your stakes: would it be implemented this time or not?

On side note i'd like to ask for HP counter for Iron Skin. Inability to recast it while active is alredy a huge downside, just let us see when it's gonna expire!

plus 1 <--- but for all frames as well