Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Modding Weapons 101.01 - Rifles

Arabaxus

Question

Disclaimer: I'm here to talk about the basics of modding weapons, which may or may not be sprinkled with doses of my own opinion. Reader discretion is advised.

Are you having trouble getting out of level 20 areas? Not sure how to make that new Cronus of yours slice and dice Grinizzle like sushi? Wondering why your Karak isn't turning Corpus into metal mincemeat? Well you're in luck, because I will be here to answer these questions with regards to modding.

What is modding?

Modding is the act of placing mod cards onto your weapons to increase their power and/or utility. Without mods, your weapons will be rather shabby. No matter what weapon, without mods, you will find it extremely difficult to kill enemies that are any higher than like level 30, and this feeling usually comes before level 30.

How do I mod?

Modding will depend on what you are using, and what kind of build you are trying to create. For starters, just know these three kinds of builds:

Damage Builds

Status Builds

Critical Builds

These three will get you well on your way until you are experienced enough to begin experimenting.

If you are just starting, I recommend you focus on Damage builds, because damage is the main way you kill enemies. Status is great and all but is frankly not as important at lower levels than it is at higher levels. Let's get you started on your way modding.

Primary Weapons (Rifles):

Damage Oriented Builds:

Key Mods:

Common:

Uncommon:

225px-SerrationModU145.png225px-HellfireModU145.png225px-StormbringerModU145.png

225px-InfectedClipModU145.png225px-CryoRoundsModU145.png

Rare: 

225px-SplitChamberModU145.png

For an effective damage build, you will want to focus your ranking into these mods. The most important is to get Serration ranked up, because the effectiveness of the elemental mods is directly related to the base damage, which is increased by Serration. For starters I would focus on getting Serration to rank 5, and then work my way up each of the elements to rank 5. When you acquire Split Chamber, I would rank it up and place it into your build, but it is rather costly, so it is not of priority.

Let me explain why these are most important. Serration increases your base damage, which increases your damage output. Elemental damage mods increase your damage output and give you benefits such as extra damage against specific types of armor and factions. Split Chamber's multishot means you have a chance to shoot two bullets for the price of one, which increases your damage, critical chance, and status chance, so multishot is very powerful, and thus is justifiably expensive, mod points wise. Don't worry about it too much until you have weapons that are Catalyzed.

Now I'll explain a second type of build, Status builds. These builds sacrifice some damage output to increase chance of activating status effects. These effects can cause enemies to suffer from things such as stun, DoT (damage over time), a decrease in armor, and knockdown. Specific enemies also have strengths and weaknesses to specific damage types, Puncture, Impact, and Slash, and elemental damage types are no exception. 

Key Mods: (Other than the aforementioned mods)

Rare Mods:

225px-MalignantForceMod.png

Event Mods:

225px-HighVoltage_Unranked.png225px-RimeRoundsModU145.png225px-ThermiteRoundsModU145.png

One of the reasons I recommend waiting on Status builds is because many of the important mods that increase status chance were dropped from events, and have no word on when they will be returning if you were not around for the event. The Toxic element ones are readily available as they were reintroduced, and the Electricity ones are the next ones slated for reintroduction. 

The difference to Damage builds here is that we sacrifice 30% damage for an extra 60% status chance. Note this does not mean a flat 60% increase to status chance, this is solely 60% of the base status chance. If a weapon has a 50% chance to cause a status effect, adding this mod will increase it by 30%, because 60% of 50 is 30%.

Generally, you either select an element, usually a combination element, and only use those elements' mods, the 90% damage mods and the 60%/60% dual stat mods to restrict the number of elements, as status chance is shared between all innate and added damage types on a weapon, with the higher priority given to the element with the greatest base damage. So if I have a weapon with 800 Blast Damage and 400 Corrosive Damage, with 50% status chance, the chance of Blast and Corrosive are not 25% and 25%, but Blast is favored due to higher damage. Keep in mind this includes the innate physical damage types, Puncture, Slash, and Impact, if they are present.

If your sole objective is to increase status chance, then you would likely prioritize Serration and Split Chamber, and then as many of the 60%/60% mods you have onto the weapon. 

There is another mod that increases status chance:

225px-RifleAptitudeModU145.png

But as of right now, it is simply not worth your time. Devoting an entire slot and 9 mod points for a paltry 12.5% increase is rarely ever justifiable.

Meanwhile, this nightmare mod also exists:

225px-HammerShotModU145.png

Again, it seems wasted potential as it gives 60% Critical Damage and 40% Status Chance if your weapon is not both Critical and Status oriented. This is usually more up to personal preference.

The last build I will go over here is Critical builds. Generally you make the decision of whether or not this weapon is oriented for critical builds based on its base status chance. The easiest example of this is Soma, a rapid fire rifle with a base status chance of 30% and a base Critical Multiplier of 3.0x.

Critical builds will often differ from damage builds in the use of two very important mods:

225px-PointStrikeModU145.png225px-VitalSenseModU145.png

Which increase Critical Chance and Critical Damage respectively. Again, 

225px-HammerShotModU145.png

Hammer Shot is usually up to personal preference. 

Note that like Status Chance, Critical Chance and Critical Damage multiplier mods are not flat increases, but rather based on your base value. A 30% Critical Chance with a mod that increases Critical Chance by 150% means you will have a 75% Critical Chance, as 45 is 150% of 30%. Similar with Critical Damage. A base multiplier of 3.0x and a mod that increases Critical Damage by 150% Will result in a Critical Damage multiplier of 7.5x, as 4.5 is 150% of 3.0.

Note that in terms of consistency, the higher your base Critical Chance, the greater the positive impact Critical Damage mods will have on your damage output. Theoretically, a 4.0x Critical Damage multiplier and a Critical Chance of 10% will increase your damage output by 40%, or 0.4 of base, whereas the same multiplier with a Critical Chance of 30% would increase your damage output by thrice that, or 120%.

Keep in mind Critical Hits greatly benefit from headshots. Any headshot will do double the damage of of a body shot, and a headshot Critical Hit will deal 4 times the damage as a Critical Body shot, as a headshot Critical gives you another bonus 2.0x multiplier alongside the guaranteed 2.0x of all headshots.

Other than that, if you are just starting out, there are some weapons I would suggest avoiding for the time being:

-Amprex: The Amprex requires you to put in a lot of work for it to be effective, mostly because it is almost completely reliant on Critical Hits and Critical Damage, and until you have those, the damage output will be paltry at best.

-Penta and Ogris: These weapons require a lot of base damage mods to be highly ranked for them to kill in one hit, especially in higher levels. That also means they require a lot of Polarization.

Also, avoid 

225px-CriticalDelayModU145.png

Based on its rate of fire decrease, it generally has an overall negative effect on damage output, and when it does have a positive effect, it is usually not worth dedicating a mod slot towards. Of course, there are exceptions where this mod can be considered, but as a general rule of thumb it is usually a bad idea.

I hope maybe that you are now better informed on the basics of modding, and good luck with your future endeavors.

19 answers to this question

EXCELLENT work.  

I have a question though... what about rate of fire increase (speed trigger)?

Its basically adding 60% dps to your sustained fire at the cost of wasting ammo on short bursts in some guns (can't help but fire too many shots by accident with it).  

Nice guide - well constructed and easy to read.

Critical Delay is one of those mods which only works well on a couple of weapons. Those weapons are all similar: high rate of fire + poor ammo consumption. For example, putting Critical Delay on the Amprex allows for better ammo consumption by gimping the RoF as it is very easy to quickly expend it all AND the Amprex benefits from a critical build.

EXCELLENT work.  

I have a question though... what about rate of fire increase (speed trigger)?

Its basically adding 60% dps to your sustained fire at the cost of wasting ammo on short bursts in some guns (can't help but fire too many shots by accident with it).  

I considered talking about Rate of Fire mods but decided against it to keep it simple. I probably will address this in the future.

I considered talking about Rate of Fire mods but decided against it to keep it simple. I probably will address this in the future.

Tying into that discussion (through Shred) I would also make a note of punchthrough mods.

I would also go into the damage modifiers for elements versus different factions (IE Corrosive vs Infested for anti-ancients). That's pretty important.

Also the little known fact that elements with modifiers against a specific armor type also ignore that percentage of the armor value.

Nice start. Would give first timers at least a basic education on common mods so that they will know how to use them when they get it the first time.

Suggestion:

Add another on mods that compensate weapon handling. This is not so much about damage numbers but to get around weapon limitations. Increasing ease of handling at the expense of some potential DPS is actually important as it may actually increase the actual damage efficiency (compared to high theoretical damage, but lower actual damage dealt to enemies due to things like missed shots, slower response etc)

E.g.

- Add fire rate mods to bows charge faster

- Add magazine mods on weapons with very small magazines (usually to get around long reload times. Good if there is a mixed damage mod like Wildfire)

- Add reload rate mods (usually we just pick to optimize magazine size or reload, rarely both as it will require 2 slots total)

- Add Ammo Mutation mod if the weapon is very ammo hungry. (Even if it reduces DPS, it is often worth it on some weapon as coupled with a Carrier, the player can essentially disregard ammo concerns totally)

- Punch through mods for crowd (Usually I only use Shred as the increased fire rate sort of compensate the loss in DPS if we used this slot for another damage mod). Punch through can actually be better in producing higher crowd DPS in certain situation, compared to a where we can have higher DPS on a target, but lower total DPS on a crowd.  Besides, being able to shoot through thin covers makes the wielder tactically more versatile.

- Add magazine mods on weapons with very small magazines

Actually sorta disagree with this. Makes more sense in my mind to add reload mods to weapons with small mags, and add mag mods to weapons with large magazines. Given that the added ammo is a %age and all. Would depend on the weapon's reload speed too, I guess. Doesn't really fit as generic advice tho.

Actually sorta disagree with this. Makes more sense in my mind to add reload mods to weapons with small mags, and add mag mods to weapons with large magazines. Given that the added ammo is a %age and all. Would depend on the weapon's reload speed too, I guess. Doesn't really fit as generic advice tho.

I think it does matter on some weapons with very small magazine.

e.g. I personally find a 8-round marelok a lot more efficient than a 6-round one, compared to just adding to the reload (which is already fast enough to make the difference small, imo)

Pretty good guide!

I might elaborate on a few points here for your consideration.  (maybe for a part 2):

Diminishing Returns and Force Multipliers

At first glance, you might be tempted to stack more elements if you have slots to burn. However, you're just adding to an already existing multiplier, so each element will be progressively less effective. After you've reached +200% elemental damage, a 90% element is less effective than a 30% force multiplier. Here are some options for new force multipliers:

Bane - If you're fighting outside the void, Bane mods are pretty standard. Ups our damage by 30%.

Charged Chamber - If you're using Vectis or plan on reloading your sniper rifle every shot, this is stronger and more versatile than a Bane mod. Ups your damage by 40%.

Speed Trigger - +60% is one of the strongest force multipliers - provided your weapon can handle it. Good for low fire-rate weapons like Quanta, bad for most other weapons (considering that if you run Ammo Mutation you likely don't need a new force multiplier). Your sustained damage might also suffer as your fire-to-reload time ratio goes up.

Shred - Provides the same force multiplier as a Bane Mod, without being as punishing as Speed Trigger. Punch Through will sometimes apply the damage 2-3 times to different targets, and has some nice utility.

With so many options for force multipliers, it's fairly easy to see that adding another damage mod will increase your current damage capacity by at least 30%. So when it comes to utility mods (such as Fast Hands, Ammo Mutation, or Metal Auger), bear in mind you're dropping a cumulative 30% of your damage for it.

Heavy Caliber

You're never going to be running Heavy Caliber without Serration, so for all intents and purposes this is a force multiplier. With both Heavy Caliber and Serration maxed, Heavy Caliber acts as a ~62% damage multiplier. For many weapons, the loss in accuracy is definitely worth this boost - sometimes even beneficial, adding a little spread to help hose down crowds.

However, for low fire-rate weapons, where landing shots counts, you might not want Heavy Caliber. If you plan on landing body shots, this is usually fine - but most low fire rate weapons are critical-heavy weapons, and critical damage is doubled again on a headshot. And seeing as Heavy Caliber makes it very hard to land a double-headshot off Multishot outside of close range, you may see a fair drop in damage.

(Important Note: Heavy Caliber acts differently on all weapons. I suggest you play around with it on your build before deciding whether or not to keep it.)

In the end, Heavy Caliber is a preference. If you replace Heavy Caliber with a 30% force multiplier (such as a Bane or Shred), your overall damage will drop by 20%, but you will be landing more shots.

Criticals

Critical weapons have the added option of Hammer Shot. With a 100% or higher critical chance, Hammer Shot provides +28% damage (assuming you have Vital Sense already). Stack on the bonus to status chance (especially considering most high-crit weapons also have a good status chance to boot), and it becomes a viable alternative to Bane mods if your base crit chance is 40% or higher.

No weapon exists that Critical Delay will increase the average damage output of. That being said, you might still find use for it making red crits on bows happen more reliably, or slowing down the fire rate of weapons like Amprex and Synapse (if you don't mind the damage drop from losing a slot).

When considering these two options, also bear in mind that you'll be reaching the +200% elemental threshold a lot later in your build, as two extra slots are now being occupied by Point Strike and Vital Sense.

You might also want a section on what order mods should go on (for those non-forma/potato or leveling weapons). I can crunch up some numbers on that if you're interested.

Edited by Spacetimer

Pretty good guide!

I might elaborate on a few points here for your consideration.  (maybe for a part 2):

Diminishing Returns and Force Multipliers

At first glance, you might be tempted to stack more elements if you have slots to burn. However, you're just adding to an already existing multiplier, so each element will be progressively less effective. After you've reached +200% elemental damage, a 90% element is less effective than a 30% force multiplier. Here are some options for new force multipliers:

Bane - If you're fighting outside the void, Bane mods are pretty standard. Ups our damage by 30%.

Charged Chamber - If you're using Vectis or plan on reloading your sniper rifle every shot, this is stronger and more versatile than a Bane mod. Ups your damage by 40%.

Speed Trigger - +60% is one of the strongest force multipliers - provided your weapon can handle it. Good for low fire-rate weapons like Quanta, bad for most other weapons (considering that if you run Ammo Mutation you likely don't need a new force multiplier). Your sustained damage might also suffer as your fire-to-reload time ratio goes up.

Shred - Provides the same force multiplier as a Bane Mod, without being as punishing as Speed Trigger. Punch Through will sometimes apply the damage 2-3 times to different targets, and has some nice utility.

With so many options for force multipliers, it's fairly easy to see that adding another damage mod will increase your current damage capacity by at least 30%. So when it comes to utility mods (such as Fast Hands, Ammo Mutation, or Metal Auger), bear in mind you're dropping a cumulative 30% of your damage for it.

Heavy Caliber

You're never going to be running Heavy Caliber without Serration, so for all intents and purposes this is a force multiplier. With both Heavy Caliber and Serration maxed, Heavy Caliber acts as a ~62% damage multiplier. For many weapons, the loss in accuracy is definitely worth this boost - sometimes even beneficial, adding a little spread to help hose down crowds.

However, for low fire-rate weapons, where landing shots counts, you might not want Heavy Caliber. If you plan on landing body shots, this is usually fine - but most low fire rate weapons are critical-heavy weapons, and critical damage is doubled again on a headshot. And seeing as Heavy Caliber makes it very hard to land a double-headshot off Multishot outside of close range, you may see a fair drop in damage.

(Important Note: Heavy Caliber acts differently on all weapons. I suggest you play around with it on your build before deciding whether or not to keep it.)

In the end, Heavy Caliber is a preference. If you replace Heavy Caliber with a 30% force multiplier (such as a Bane or Shred), your overall damage will drop by 20%, but you will be landing more shots.

Criticals

Critical weapons have the added option of Hammer Shot. With a 100% or higher critical chance, Hammer Shot provides +28% damage (assuming you have Vital Sense already). Stack on the bonus to status chance (especially considering most high-crit weapons also have a good status chance to boot), and it becomes a viable alternative to Bane mods if your base crit chance is 40% or higher.

No weapon exists that Critical Delay will increase the average damage output of. That being said, you might still find use for it making red crits on bows happen more reliably, or slowing down the fire rate of weapons like Amprex and Synapse (if you don't mind the damage drop from losing a slot).

When considering these two options, also bear in mind that you'll be reaching the +200% elemental threshold a lot later in your build, as two extra slots are now being occupied by Point Strike and Vital Sense.

You might also want a section on what order mods should go on (for those non-forma/potato or leveling weapons). I can crunch up some numbers on that if you're interested.

I think I went over a lot of that here? I guess I could go over Charged/Primed Chamber.

I think I went over a lot of that here? I guess I could go over Charged/Primed Chamber.

Ah yeah, I got interrupted typing it up and you posted that before I finished. Looking good - although I'd suggest you take a look at the numbers I posted. Knowing how many elements to run and how much difference Heavy Caliber actually makes is quite important.

Edited by Spacetimer

I think it does matter on some weapons with very small magazine.

e.g. I personally find a 8-round marelok a lot more efficient than a 6-round one, compared to just adding to the reload (which is already fast enough to make the difference small, imo)

it just depends on the weapon.  Seer for example is not worth having either one due to how it is used -- long range sniping -- but the early shotguns with both a low cap and a long reload,  reload speed makes more sense than one, or maybe 2,  more rounds.  But the early rifle, karak, has a super fast reload and a modest capacity and benefits more from extra big mags.    Case by case basis on which to use (if any).