Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Feedback For The Radio Chatter Contest (And Why I "hate" It :s)

Fabpsi

Heyhey ^^

okay, do not get me wrong:

I love the idea, I really really do. I am able to speak english,  know some awesome voices (and have the proper equipment to record it) and the idea of player voices for the Liset radio is just great. Furthermore we, as a community, have enough time to record and prepare...and we do not even have to edit/ process our own raw recording. (again, awesome <3)

But there is one problem:  I am not allowed to participate.

Why?

Because of the IGN rules.

sLsGFJy.png

[...];legal residents of the fifity (50) United States and the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) [...]

And that is the reason why i hate it...okay... I do not really hate it. I am just sad that I am not allowed to participate

(._. )

I would like to know why this contest is restricted to certain areas. - and before someone asks:

I know absolutely nothing about the law situation, but I would like to know.

(maybe because if everyone could participate it would be wayyyy to much work to edit every single raw recording? Or because ign have an internal rule or something? or laws? Spacepirates?)

Here are some ideas for the next community contest thread:

- Please highlight very important rules directly in the thread... (yes, i know, DE already mentioned "rules", but they did not mentioned this important rule.....)

(like "note: Only legal residents of the USA and Canada can participate! see more information here" -link to ign rules-)

- Maybe try to explain the reasons behind some rules, (If they need an explanation)  

-  If the contest is restricted to certain areas, maybe you can create a "smaller" contest for the other areas?

(nothing big and nothing that needs a lot of preparation, e.g. "take a screenshot of something"-contest or "create a line for the radio"-contest. The winners wont get a lot of stuff if you compare it to the big contest, but it is something. And I know ; this would mean even more work for DE to create and watch 2 contests at the same time...but at least everyone in this awesome community would have the chance to win a contest.)

For those who can participate:

Good luck and have fun <3

and...well..yea...that's it for me :3  

I do not blame DE... I just dont like that they "joined forces with IGN" for this contest. (quote from the Radio Chatter Contest thread) 

What do you think about this contest?

Edited by Fabpsi

I ended up contacting Megan about this and I'm hoping to get an answer back soon. I can only think that this is an oversight by IGN, heck if DE say "anyone can enter but you can't get the plat" then I'd still enter regardless. I could have sworn that the post Megan put up stated that the contest was open to everyone however now that part of the post has disappeared. Maybe I imagined it.

Really? That sucks.

Yepppp.

I can only think that this is an oversight by IGN, heck if DE say "anyone can enter but you can't get the plat" then I'd still enter regardless. 

Yea, same here xD Lets just hope DE will say something about this.....and that we do not have another contest that is restricted to a certain area^^

Let's face it, you want lines recording for the 'bad guys' - you want british accents... Not claiming any kind of nationalistic superiority but we do make excellent villains.  

For proof - see Alan Rickman in pretty much anything :) Or anything to have come out of Hollywood with a bad guy... :D

It would be great except for the whole "you must be 18 or older" part.

18 or older actually makes sense in this case. By entering, an adult is agreeing to have their voice used ingame, whereas if a minor won then their parent/guardian would have to sign a release.

The location restriction is probably just a standard clause of IGN rules because contests generally have either physical or monetary rewards, not rewards solely ingame.

Let's face it, you want lines recording for the 'bad guys' - you want british accents...

I just imagined Vor with a british accent xD

The location restriction is probably just a standard clause of IGN rules because contests generally have either physical or monetary rewards, not rewards solely ingame.

Mhhh, I see. Thanks for this little bit of clarification

(even though it would be nice if DE mentioned something like that in the contest thread.....or IGN could just say the reason behind their rules on the "official rules page" <.< ) 

IGN and contests don't mix well in my experience, the contests always feel..... I dunno, I cant't even describe them without saying somethign negative and potentially insulting...

Gaming journalism there has also not been a sgoood as it used to be anymore, btut hats none of my concern...

IGN and contests don't mix well in my experience, the contests always feel..... I dunno, I cant't even describe them without saying somethign negative and potentially insulting...

Gaming journalism there has also not been a sgoood as it used to be anymore, btut hats none of my concern...

''Gaming journalism'' is a term that you can rarely use now.

''Gaming journalism'' is a term that you can rarely use now.

I guess so, nowadays they feel slightly like groupies telling you what to play sometimes

In regards to the contest though, it makes me kinda disssapointed that only a small part oft he community can join simply because IGN says so, hopefully there's a solid reason for this thats not "we wanna mail you our monthly catalog"

It is entirely possible that the geographical restriction is based on the difficulty of trying to meet different sets of laws for the running of competitions/sweepstakes etc. and avoiding legal action from various parts of the world, and DE may well have partnered with IGN precisely because IGN have run such competitions in the past and avoided or already stepped on many of the legal landmines out there.

But still... It should have been announced as a US/Canada (excl. Quebec) exclusive competition, or that information should have been much more prominent on the information given out by DE in an ideal world.  This assumes DE were aware of the exact terms that IGN impose on such things, and you'd really hope they would be ;)

Simple Answers:

Laws of different nations have atleast 50+ different views and laws how to handdle "won prizes" even they are digital and ingame only. This means DE has decided to roll without international law-knowing-person and stricky taking the only reasonable way out and stuck with US laws. The biggest problem of all this is taxes and how country X sees "ownership" in the internet (dont laugh its hilarious, but true)

This is the reason multiple games and almost anything hosted by company registered in USA have to deal with and mostly everyone outside USA cant join these competitions. 

I sent Megan a message about this, so far no response.

Age limit makes perfect sense and is not worth kicking up a fuss about, but denying contest entry for the rest of the world comes off as absurd.

It isnt that big fuss, its just laws are laws and I bet DE doesnt have resources or time to start finding out what nations can join and how are their laws.. its just so simple.

I have met this same problem so many times ingames and other constests that I barely can keep up with the numbers.

Sorry, but thats how it is.

....Even if I can understand all those things with legal actions and so on... I don't get why its only for the US AND Canada... (And not GB) lol

http://www.quora.com/What-legal-issues-come-up-when-running-a-contest-or-giveaway

This is the best and most easiest to understand. Read the ppls comments far down there to get extra idea.

Hope that clears it atleast a bit.

Simple Answers:

Laws of different nations have atleast 50+ different views and laws how to handdle "won prizes" even they are digital and ingame only. This means DE has decided to roll without international law-knowing-person and stricky taking the only reasonable way out and stuck with US laws.

This is true and i totally agree. But i am not talking about other games .

We had a lot of big contests here for Warframe (T-shirt design, Weapon Skin design, Create an Enemy ,yadayadaya) and every single Tenno could participate and win prizes.

"Why now this change? ...and...well... where is the difference this time?"

The first thing that I saw as a difference is IGN.

"Why is IGN involved?" Maybe because DE wanted more people to participate, or ign was involved in the creation of this contest idea...maybe both, idk and I think it does not matter anymore....

edit:

Ty for the link ^^

Edited by Fabpsi

This is true and i totally agree. But i am not talking about other games .

We had a lot of big contests here for Warframe (T-shirt design, Weapon Skin design, Create an Enemy ,yadayadaya) and every single Tenno could participate and win prizes.

"Why now this change? ...and...well... where is the difference this time?"

The first thing that I saw as a difference is IGN.

"Why is IGN involved?" Maybe because DE wanted more people to participate, or ign was involved in the creation of this contest idea...maybe both, idk and I think it does not matter anymore....

edit:

Ty for the link ^^

Hums yeah the label "IGN" might the issue here, or the value of the intended prize is significant enough to raise heads.

But as you mentioned most obvious is the IGN label there.

I was looking forward to this as it is one contest that is pretty open to anyone.  But geographical restrictions?  For an online contest with a purely digital prize?  Just doesn't make sense.  Hopefully DE will find some way to let others outside North America take part. *fingers crossed*

I was also bummed out when I read the terms on IGN, too bad, I really think this contest would have produced some pretty awesome results if everyone was eligible to participate (save for the age restriction). Its a pretty "low bar" competition, as it doesn't require a whole lot of expertise, special equipment or software beforehand, compared to say, the skin competitions we've had before.

Maybe they restricted it to US and CA because of language reasons? To avoid dialects or accents?

Edited by Radford_343