Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Raven - Hellion Mini Boss Concept

MechaTails

"Sol crawls out of its hiding place, straining to pierce the smog, a wavering flame against thick radioactive soup. It blankets the Earth in a sickly glow. Hovering above the polluted planet, the Iron Raven greets the dawn with a broken mask and a crooked smile, and wings that would darken the Sun."

=================================================

I think it would be cool to face an airborne enemy that looked like some kind of badass metal Grineer Warhawk/Raven unit. This could be a miniboss like Ven'kra and Sprag. Here are some of the features she could have:

AESTHETICS

•Wears a Grineer mask with the bottom half broken off, exposing the chin/mouth area. That's to show her sneer as she cuts you in half.

•The body is armored, it doesn't have to be bulky, just not as spindly as a Scorpion.

•The most prominent feature is the jetpack with large mechanical wings. The wings help create a terrifying silhouette, especially when she crosses in front of a light source. The large shape also tends to panic the Tenno, making them aim at the large surface area of the wings instead of the vital parts of the pilot.

Reference image for wings:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/036/b/b/Broken_Wings_by_justincurrie.png

FEATURES

•Armored, with high Health points.

•The armored areas and wings are invulnerable and deflect bullets.

•Even though she appears like a large target in the sky, the parts you can actually damage are relatively small.

•When she flies low over ammo/orbs, they get blown around the map, forcing us to expose ourselves by running around.

•When she flies low, her jetpack kicks up clouds of dust, obscuring our view.

•Carries a small-shoulder mounted rocket launcher.

•Carries a satchel of Latchers.

•Uses a bladed Sparring weapon for melee attacks, and drops the Blueprint parts.

•She has evasive aerial maneuvers for dodging some of our gunfire, but nothing as obnoxious as Vay Hek's glitchy zero-G spazz dance.

THE BATTLEFIELD

•Desert tileset; A wide open flat area with the Sun blazing.

•There are boulders and broken machinery to use as cover.

•There are balconies and corridors carved into the canyon walls

•Grineer troops steadily flow into the fight, like when fighting Vay Hek.

•Could also work with the Grineer shipyard tilesets, I've seen some wide open hangars there.

ATTACKS

•Normal Melee Attacks

Uses a Grineer claw/sparring weapon that look like claws/talons. Can use rocket-propelled melee attacks, like a turbo-charged Slash Dash or Blaze Kick.

•Divekick

Will sometimes dive kick directly at a Tenno, and cause an AoE shockwave that knocks down anyone in range. She'll stay on the ground for a few seconds after, so if you dodge the attack you can retaliate.

•Radioactive Rocket

Fires a powerful homing rocket that explodes after a while and causes Radiation proc.

•Strafing Run
Uses Twin Gremlins for strafing runs. Their balanced damage types have a good chance of inflicting all the physical status ailments. "Gremlin" is also a reference to an aviation superstition.

•Bombing Run
Tears across the sky dropping a bunch of strong Latchers with short fuses, good for flushing out hiding Tenno. Their explosions can also proc Radiation.

•Commanding Screech

Flying lets her better orchestrate attacks by the enemy ground units. Sometimes she'll let out a screech that causes all enemy units to focus fire on one Tenno. Her command overrides any Radiation procs or mind control powers caused by Tenno.

•Wing Slash

While she's grounded, if you get close she'll sometimes slash at you with the wings, causing knockdown and bleeding proc.

•Wing Spikes

If you manage to wreck her launcher and Latchers, she'll launch waves of explosive spikes from the tips of her "feathers".

•Swooping Melee Attack
Occasionally swoops at the Tenno to knock them down and mess up their HUD.

WEAKNESSES

•The chin is a weak point, taking increased damage.

•Unarmored areas take reduced damage so you can't just spray her for a quick victory.

•The backpack takes normal damage and is weak against Magnetic. If she gets procced with Magnetic, the jetpack temporarily fails and she falls. This is to give melee weapons a way to hurt her.

•To encourage aiming, you can't proc her by hitting invulnerable areas.

•You can destroy the rocket launcher and satchels of Latchers she carries to permanently disable those attacks. She also takes significant damage if you do so. The rocket launcher is over her shoulder, the 2 satchels are attached to the sides of her thighs.

Any more ideas? I want to see a scary arse Grineer jetfighter lol

Edited by DarkTails

So, basically Grineer version of Raptor with one of Venkra's sisters? I think this would make a cool boss, but as a regular enemy she's either dead too quickly or a huge PITA.

As a regular enemy it could be a rare spawn since it's so tough, it could have a chance to spawn in the big open Grineer hangars, or even certain outdoor tilesets like Ceres, Kiste. You dont have to kill her, but she has a guanteed chance to drop a Cell or R5 or whatever as incentive to fight.

As a boss, oh em gee, most badass boss battle ever lol. Could even cross over as an Archwing boss, so we can have a crazy dog fight (and so she isnt insta gibbed by a freaking Nova or whatever)

Edited by DarkTails

After reading the comments I can now imagine Kela deThaym being reworked as her riding some sort of assault helicopter/hovercraft, something that looks like a Grineer-salvaged version of the Banshee from Starcraft II.

As a boss battle, she could start out in a Grineer chopper, then you wreck it by shooting off the various weapons/gas tanks on it. After that you fight her 1 on 1 in all her clawed sky-shredding bombing glory lol.

• 2 months later...

Would be cool to face an airborne enemy that looked like some kind of badass metal Grineer Warhawk/Raven unit.

•She'd have talons for swooping melee attacks (Grineer claw weapon baby!)

•Powerful shoulder-mounted rocket launcher, she can spam it but rockets dont home in on players.

•Uses Twin Gremlins (airplane superstition reference lel)

•Very tanky, they'll be fun to fight, no bullS#&$ permastun carpet bombing

•Has a bombing run ability that drops a bunch of strong latchers with short fuses

Any more ideas? I want to see a scary arse Grineer jetfighter lol

a Hellion that is even harder?

I hope you burn.

Upgrade any of their units, just not that one.

• 2 months later...

If DE adds this to the game, I'd be thrilled if they made it an Archwing only mission because that part of the game needs all the love it can get.

I'll be sad to see the ground combat go though, that was mainly why I made this, to have a fun anti-aircraft style battle lol

Maybe this mission could start in space with Archwing, then the final fight could be ground-based like what I described.

I think blowing those drops off the map encourages us to make Restores.

But then again, it may get expensive just to fight this one enemy lol. I also don't like the idea of Tenno finding a hiding spot and camping there with Restores.

Maybe just having the drops be blown around the map would be fine, like the opposite of Mag's Greedy Pull, without destroying them completely. Would help keep us running around, drawing us out so she can strafe us.

Edited by DarkTails