Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stutter / Lag New In 16.5

SirFrags

the last hotfix has solved my problem

thank you

Not for me. I still have to disable either 64-bit or multi-threading for the stuttering to disappear

amd fx-4100, 8gb ram, gtx 770, windows 7-64

Edited by Thelonious

Can you recommend a way to collect you some useful data?

The usual thing, try to find something that triggers the issue all the time, then pray for the programmer to be able to reproduce the issue on his computer and observe what is wrong. It's not even guaranteed that something like that even exists.

Once the culprit is known, we can think of a solution.

Also, please forward your config, my suspicions are that this is a problem on dual core machines

Edited by DE_Js

Also, please forward your config, my suspicions are that this is a problem on dual core machines

Running an i5-3570K quadcore here and even with 16.5.4 the stutter still exists in 64bit.

I'm still curious why the 64bit version has a frame render time of 16.5ms, while the 32bit version is running 16.0ms?

Running an i5-3570K quadcore here and even with 16.5.4 the stutter still exists in 64bit.

I'm still curious why the 64bit version has a frame render time of 16.5ms, while the 32bit version is running 16.0ms?

There's a little imprecision introduced in 32 bits, so admit an error of +-1 ms for 32 bits values

If you want precise framerate, you can use fraps, it will show you the exact framerate time if you're not recording

Edited by DE_Js

There's a little imprecision introduced in 32 bits, so admit an error of +-1 ms for 32 bits values

If you want precise framerate, you can use fraps, it will show you the exact framerate time if you're not recording

Tested with FRAPs: 32bit rarely moved from 61fps, while 64bit was constantly jumping between 60-61 (Every so often going to 59 and 62).

Not sure if the frame precision carries over to FRAPs though, 

You might have something there.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150427-0707)

System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group

System Model: Hi-Fi Z97WE

BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/09/14 09:41:47 Ver: 04.06.05

Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~4.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8154MB RAM

Page File: 2216MB used, 14091MB available

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6739)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1011 MB

Shared Memory: 3084 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Drive: C:

Free Space: 279.6 GB

Total Space: 953.8 GB

File System: NTFS

Model: SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device

Possibly relevant stuff from a DxDiag.

UPDATE: Hotfix 4 did fix the issues for me. :D

Edited by JCBeastie

Tested with FRAPs: 32bit rarely moved from 61fps, while 64bit was constantly jumping between 60-61 (Every so often going to 59 and 62).

Not sure if the frame precision carries over to FRAPs though, 

sounds like you're locked to 60, turn off vsync...

sounds like you're locked to 60, turn off vsync...

I know I have VSYNC on. Please read my previous posts. It is more me saying that there is a stutter in 64bit and there are weird frame variations compared to 32bit with or without VSYNC.

All I can gather is 64bit and multi-thread rendering causes issues with certain setups.

Edited by Snougar

Hi all,

Since 16.5 i got a lot of stuttering and huge fps drops in some areas !

Everything is already said ! no more to add ....

Pliz DE fix it ASAP !

Boring to play like that on a good event with the usual bad perf / good perf cycle !

4 weeks bad perf => fix => 1 week normal perf => update => 4 weeks bad perf ......

I tested several configs on "Tubemen of Regor" conflict 15:

1 vsync on + 64bit + multithread = very noticeable micro stutters, random minor rate frame drops

2 vsync off +64bit + multithread = up to over double the frame rate (up to 140 from base 60 with vsync on), less micro stutters but still noticeable, frame rate drops become almost unnoticeable (unless when dipping below 60)

3 vsync off + 64bit - multithread = more than halfed max frame rate (less than 60 on average), severe micor stutters, frequent frame rate drops (below 40 on average)

4 vsync off - 64bit + multithread = frame rate like config 2, no noticeable micro stutters, only one random frame rate drop noticed at beginning of the map (while the first door opened), smoothest overall feel

System setup :

CPU: AMD FX8350

GPU: HD 7950 3GB

16GB ram

the game is sitting on a 500GB HDD (dont know the rpm for sure, but I think its 7200)

hope this helps

Beginning with 16.5, Warframe is incredibly laggy for me in a unique way. The game is always pinned at 60 fps (which is usual), but it feels more like 20fps. There is a lot of jitter and spin attack is routinely sending me rocketing across the map at ludicrous speed.The game appears to run fine in the liset, but starting a mission (hosting or not hosting) and this lag is always present.

Same problem here. Lag with high fps in some areas.

Other than PhysX, is there something else the 32 bit version is missing compared to 64 bit? Warframe 32 bit with multi-threaded rendering still runs well (smooth and 60 fps through all of Sealab tileset).

I've had the ludicrous speed happen a couple times. Most often it happens when coptering and sends me literally hundred meters away. Has happened once in a relay when doing slidejump, flew the distance from liset to the hangar door. I don't notice any stutters or fps drops though.

Specs:

Win7 64bit

Intel 4690k

16GB ram

Amd 7870 15.4 beta

Intel 910 PCIE-SSD

Settings:

DX11

64bit

Multi-rendering on

Vsync off

All gfx options on/high except DOF and motion blur

Edited by Tuuhea_Takasumu

Well I found a workaround for the problem on my end - disabling HPET (High Performance Event Timer) in the BIOS. I would reiterate that Warframe 64 bit was working fine until 16.5, and was not overly sensitive to the windows timer.

To fully disable HPET:

(1) run "bcdedit /enum"

(2) check for useplatformclock

(2a) if you find a value ( true, on, yes, or other ) write it down

(2b) run "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

(3) disable HPET in your BIOS

To reverse the process:

(1) if useplatformclock was present before, use "bcdedit /set useplatformclock "

(2) enable HPET in your BIOS

This is a particularly problematic setting for many hardware setups, as the whole timer thing was generally buggy for a long time (search for HPET, invariant tsc, windows 8 rtc bug, or similar for some reading).

Some motherboards around the x58 era also have problems when HPET is disabled with processor c-states (power saving features), so if that does not completely fix your problem you can try disabling the C6 power state. I haven't read any requiring the C3 to be disabled to remain in sync without HPET enabled.

EDIT: If your CPU + MB are newer than 2008 it may support "Invariant TSC" which means you can leave HPET enabled in BIOS, but make sure you do not have useplatformclock set. If your CPU + MB is mfg. 2011 or later you are definitely OK and should probably look elsewhere for a fix.

DE;

Is there any way this could be fixed so that the game has better respect for the timer setting? Not all BIOS have an option to disable HPET. The windows timer is a global feature, and generally will run at the highest precision requested by an application. That means if it is not fully disabled, an application running alongside Warframe could kick the timer from a lower resolution into a higher one, utilizing HPET if available - for example Chrome did until Nov '14 and Chrome 39).

Edited by SirFs

I just came back to WF after a few months and am getting a sort of micro-stuttering effect, don't know if it's the same as what everyone else has got, but it's noticeable enough for me to come to the forum and mention it and this sesems the right thread.

It's not enough to make the game unplayable, but it's enough to be noticeable and slightly annoying.

Game was smooth as a baby's bottom prior to this (for the past year and a bit).

Nvidia GTX760, old Core2Duo @ 3.8Ghz, 8G ram, Win 8.1

DE:  I hope you are taking note.

Multi Threaded Rendering appears have have broken camera smoothness since U16.5.

With MTR on, there is some sort of judder when ever you pan the camera around which is even more noticable when using a controller.  I'm running the game at 60fps but when you look around, it feels more llike 30fps as demonstrated in 1st video.

However, when MTR is off, everything is silky smooth and how it should be as can be seen on the 2nd video.

Make sure you select 60fps for both movies and pay attention to the camera panning of the background.

1) Multi Thread On:

https://youtu.be/GjAIsmznZb8

2) Multi Thread Off:

https://youtu.be/mTVgj3d7t5M

I'm going to add insult to injury : 16.5 is the straw that broke the camel's back: for each .X revision since U14, i had to lower my graphics settings in order to play properly.

Still, pre 16.5 i was constantly at 100fps, with lows at 40fps for a few miliseconds. Right now, i can barely go over 60fps and frequently drop to 15fps for a few seconds. 

I've tried everything from 32bits DX9 all off  to 64bit + MTS+ DX11+ Vsync, but to no avail. Also 32 bits is worse than 64bits, as my framerate dips below 10 fps and shows no sign of improvement over time.

Specs:

Nvidia GTX650, intel I7 3720 @ 2.6 GHz , 8G ram, Win 7 64,  samsung 840 pro SSD