Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Some Weapons Are Still Designed To Damage The User?

-N7-Leonhart

For some reason I thought the Tonkor shot two grenades naturally. I don't use it because it's too cheap for my tastes. Some stuff I said earlier is rendered null and void by me realising otherwise.

Tonkor does 325 base blast damage (and 75 puncture damage on direct hits). Ogris does 650 base blast damage. What? Crits are irrelevant since I was speaking in base damage terms before any modifiers, critting or modding alike.

(Saying it should do 200x2 for full base selfdamage was an oversight on my random misconception of firing double 'nades without Split Chamber. 400 or at least 325 would be its base if you increased Ogris to 650 from the current 150. Likewise a proportionate 92 assumes the 75 puncture is taken into account, whereas it would be 75 base selfdamage proportioned from the blast damage alone)

Well, I did include a comment in there about self-proccing being investigated. Good thing magnetic is a suboptimal damage type to mod into so we don't generally risk proccing that mess on ourselves.

The risk of selfproccing high DOTs, selfdamage bypassing shields and particularly debilitating statuses like Viral and Magnetic would support stripping modded damage types and status chance in favour of a static stagger/knockdown like you suggested, and even a Damage Resistance modifier being also coupled with a fixing of the self infliction damage type to something physical as a balance point.

I don't know about you, but if I don't risk severely wounding myself by shooting explosives at point blank range like a complete pillock, then I don't feel like I'm using a

Scaling up from base damage with mods lets someone get used to blast radii and the weapon in general with negligible self damage while the weapon is unranked and unmodded, then take it out with bigger reward and proportionally bigger risk once they feel more comfortable.

Just not so much risk that you're killing yourself with a slight mistake before you've even got the weapon near maximum potential; hence the percentile resistance to slow the amplification of the damage you're dealing to yourself to something you can take a bit better.

I also did suggest the possibility of an upper limit if it gets too ridiculous, I don't know. That's for a balance team to decide, but the discrepancy between "no scaling" and "100% scaling" seems like there could be a nice middle ground that keeps the feeling.

yesterday there was a MR 20 running a penta and after I revived them 7 times in a short period I said bro please use your powers or melee or something else since the constant reviving is going to result in the pod dying from folks reviving a team burden instead of hey!! killing enemies.

Bro got salty so I did not revive anymore especially when I had a look at in mission kills and the bro was at 34 versus the rest of the teams 195, 85 and 155

Tonkor does 325 base blast damage (and 75 puncture damage on direct hits). Ogris does 650 base blast damage. What? Crits are irrelevant since I was speaking in base damage terms before any modifiers, critting or modding alike.

(Saying it should do 200x2 for full base selfdamage was an oversight on my random misconception of firing double 'nades without Split Chamber. 400 or at least 325 would be its base if you increased Ogris to 650 from the current 150. Likewise a proportionate 92 assumes the 75 puncture is taken into account, whereas it would be 75 base selfdamage proportioned from the blast damage alone)

Ogris has 150 base damage and 500 the blast. The arsenal just uses both. Also, the Tenno can have critical hits scored on them by the enemies, so self-damage can also critical hit you. 

Of course, talking about self-damage according to base stats makes 0 sense, since Tonkor doesn't do self-damage according to any stats. It's just a set number.

hmm do I take a penta and become a burden to the team constantly asking for revives? oooor do I take another weapon i.e. soma, boltor, quanta, synoid, rakta, dread, etc?

Thats the main problem and for most users its simply sorry penta, ogris and angstrum you stay on that bench.

Folks when they say broken always mean too overpowered?

Well my definition of broken is not worth using since the multiple drawbacks these self damageing weapons have.

I was doing a mission and I ran out of revives running these self damageing weapons thanks to the kubrow playing bounce back

So I look at my inventory that also has stuff like glaxion and I say even the glaxion is more of a usefull weapon than these instafail mission self damageing weapons.

i.e. my ogris? gone to deleted graveyard

Penta?            gone to deleted graveyard

angstrum?, kulstar?, secura penta? all GONE!!

I run phage, quanta and rakta cernos instead alternating with simulor and somas and boltors and glaxion , torrid, rubrico, etc

Its not like these weapons are trash and make you a burden.

These can still pack a punch and do fine at endless 1hour+ 

I love My Penta Secura

However the damage they pump out is overshadowed by our favourite crit launcher, Tonkor

You only get killed if you lose track of your shots (Penta boucing and landing on my feet without me noticing)

And as you said, if your Kubrow and Teammates want to play "Pass the hot potato-bomb" with you.

Or if you get cornered into a thin corridor.

Then again, none of that happens to lil Tonkor.

The results are always lethal, as my beloved Penta Secura shreds through the 6k iron skin of my rhino 100% of the time, every goddamn time.

Its just sad....

Edited by CronosZX

The results are always lethal, as my beloved Penta Secura shreds through the 6k iron skin of my rhino 100% of the time, every goddamn time.

Its just sad....

You should use Ironclad Charge to buff that all the way to 50k. It's sad how many ppl have no idea of Rhino's advanced builds.

yesterday there was a MR 20 running a penta and after I revived them 7 times in a short period I said bro please use your powers or melee or something else since the constant reviving is going to result in the pod dying from folks reviving a team burden instead of hey!! killing enemies.

Bro got salty so I did not revive anymore especially when I had a look at in mission kills and the bro was at 34 versus the rest of the teams 195, 85 and 155

I didn't test with the Penta, but yes - those are the disproportionate risks currently involved. Full mod scaling, even from a lower base value, gets the damage to instakill levels too fast. Altering the mechanic to be a % resistance would cause far fewer of those instant self-inflicted deaths - unless the person in question was deliberately creating a full nest of Penta 'nades and lying down on them before triggering.

But I still want something there that feels like you've made a device capable of truly massive explosions.