Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[UPDATED] - Three ideas for new skill trees.

Zakalwe

Design One (very simple):

-

No bonuses, mods do the talking. Put points where you want. Each line could be longer, just a simple proof of concept.

examplestats_zps258e6250.png

-

Design Two: Reworked idea base on Allerion's design.

-

simplestats6_zps7d8ecf7d.png

Blue circle = mod slot.

Taking Allerion's idea and applying it to a slightly simpler design. The idea of bonuses that Allerion suggested is applied here, but only upon maxing each line. This gives incentive to max each line, and gives weight to your decision to choose which route to take and varierty bewteen each choice.

As the bonus in each line reflects the attribute or power, the pay off of each bonus is in keeping with investment of each point. No point would feel wasted.

Mod slots available every 4 skill points in each line. Maximum you can acheive is 10.

-

Bonuses

You receive the bonus when you activate the final mod slot in each attribute line.

Each attribute line costs 12 skill points to max.

Each power line costs 4.

Max the health tree for a health regen bonus

Max the shield tree for a faster shield regen

Max the power tree for a power regen bonus

You receive the bonus when you activate the final mod slot in each power line.

These could repeat for certain frames as certain themes overlap slightly.

Example Ash:

Max Shuriken - Bonus to scoped weapon accuracy

Max Smoke Screen - Bonus to stealth while crouched

Max Teleport - Bonus to sprint speed

Max Blade Storm - Bonus to melee damage

Example Excalibur:

Max Slash Dash - Bonus to melee damage

Max Super Jump - Bonus to standard jump height

Max Radial Blind - Slight chance to stagger enemies on melee

Max Radial Javelin - Increased Aoe of slam attack

Example Loki:

Max Decoy - Decreased threat (lower chance for enemies to target player)

Max Invisibility - Bonus to stealth while crouched

Max Switch Telport - Bonus to sprint speed

Max Radial Disarm - Chance to disarm enemy with melee attack

Example Rhino:

Max Charge - Bonus to charged melee damage

Max Iron Skin - Bonus to armour

Max Radial Blast - Add stagger to all slam attacks

Max Stomp - Add stasis effect chance to all slam attacks

And so on.

-

Design Three, mix of the above:

-

blank2_zps7bbb348d.png

Each Red node is a bonus that requires a skill point to activate.

Health - Health regen

Shields - Shield recharge

Power - Power regen

The bonuses for the powers would be individual for each frame, as proposed in design 2.

Taking 10 mods wouldn't be the obvious choice as you have 8 bonuses to choose from too.

The numbers of nodes could be tweaked to suit.

Edited by Zakalwe

Forgive the crude MS paint mock up, but you'll get the idea.

I don't think forcing us to make a certain choice just so we can get to the option we want is a good idea.

Anyway, something like this:

examplestats_zps258e6250.png

This simplifies things quite a bit. I am against that. Part of the idea behind the current skill trees is that the previous nodes influence the worth of later nodes(Having to go through 2 power max nodes to get to a mod slot makes that mod slot worth less than one with 1 health and 1 shield node in front of it, unless you have invested into multiple upgrades of your powers). While it isn't so easy to get into, it definitely is interesting.

Edited by KGeddon

This simplifies things quite a bit. I am against that. Part of the idea behind the current skill trees is that the previous nodes influence the worth of later nodes(Having to go through 2 power max nodes to get to a mod slot makes that mod slot worth less than one with 1 health and 1 shield node in front of it, unless you have invested into multiple upgrades of your powers). While it isn't so easy to get into, it definitely is interesting.

How is it interesting forcing you to take powers you don't want? It completely limits how you want to build your character.

This proposal is simple, but it offers the most creativity. It's absolute freedom.

How is it interesting forcing you to take powers you don't want? It completely limits how you want to build your character.

This proposal is simple, but it offers the most creativity. It's absolute freedom.

It offers no creativity. It's just allocating stats.

It offers no creativity. It's just allocating stats.

It offers a LOT more creativity than we have right now.

Shall I make a character with all powers max, and high power, with little defense?

Or low power, but tonnes of health and shields and mods and only one power maxed?

Or an all rounder?

Etc...

This, i like the current spec situation. They added new mod slots, but I don't have enough to fill all of them. That makes consider the spots next to the mods as well. Also, the mods you may have for health and shield boosts may not benefit you more than the actual talents for them. ergo, a mod that gives less than 50 hp isn't actually worth picking up a mod slot for. same with shield boosts. This allows for a much more thought provoking customization, based on the quality and availability of your mods. That doesn't even take into acount what abilities you want to use. If you're grinding boss fights for drops, maybe you'd rather not max out your 4th ability, since that focuses more on wave clear.

OP's suggestion, although simple and practical, doesn't achieve the same thought-provoking depth that the current system give you.

This, i like the current spec situation. They added new mod slots, but I don't have enough to fill all of them. That makes consider the spots next to the mods as well. Also, the mods you may have for health and shield boosts may not benefit you more than the actual talents for them. ergo, a mod that gives less than 50 hp isn't actually worth picking up a mod slot for. same with shield boosts. This allows for a much more thought provoking customization, based on the quality and availability of your mods. That doesn't even take into acount what abilities you want to use. If you're grinding boss fights for drops, maybe you'd rather not max out your 4th ability, since that focuses more on wave clear.

OP's suggestion, although simple and practical, doesn't achieve the same thought-provoking depth that the current system give you.

There is no "thought provking depth"...

There's just frustrating limition. :/

It offers a LOT more creativity than we have right now.

Shall I make a character with all powers max, and high power, with little defense?

Or low power, but tonnes of health and shields and mods and only one power maxed?

Or an all rounder?

Etc...

Work towards understanding. Simplfication =/= freedom. It's actually more restrictive.

Work towards understanding. Simplfication =/= freedom. It's actually more restrictive.

I understand the new system is restrictive "for the sake of having unique builds", but how is this suggestion more restrictive? Care to explain?

The only downside I see is the loss of "style" that the skilltree once had. It was quite something but now it's just inconvenient.

I understand the new system is restrictive "for the sake of having unique builds", but how is this suggestion more restrictive? Care to explain?

The only downside I see is the loss of "style" that the skilltree once had. It was quite something but now it's just inconvenient.

It removes considerations of relative worth. Under the skill trees, a mod slot is partially defined by the steps leading to it(both in the desirability of those nodes and the number of intermediate steps that use your limited resource of 30 upgrades). Under this suggestion, a mod slot is a mod slot is a mod slot. So that mod slot trait will ALWAYS be maxed. So instead of choices of varying worth, there is a "must buy". Must is not a choice.

Edited by KGeddon

It removes considerations of relative worth. Under the skill trees, a mod slot is partially defined by the steps leading to it(both in the desirability of those nodes and the number of intermediate steps that use your limited resource of 30 upgrades). Under this suggestion, a mod slot is a mod slot is a mod slot. So that mod slot trait will ALWAYS be maxed. So instead of choices of varying worth, there is a "must buy". Must is not a choice.

The main point is, it will be up to you to decide whether you like it or not, despite the overwhelming temptation to spend all your upgrades on mod slots. That's "freedom" by definition. Besides it's not at all that different from what the new system will soon turn into with the "best" volt builds, rhino builds, mag builds and such. That's no different than this if you know what you're doing. The only difference is how user-friendly it will become if they revamp the skilltree. It's unnecessarily overcomplicated now.

Man,this is a simple as simple can get, I don't even have words to describe just how...

It's brilliant!

The current system is just a mess, it really is. Makes me wonder if I have to break out my calculator or something whenever I'm going to choose a skill point. This would make things simple, but you know what? Sometimes less IS more.

+1

The main point is, it will be up to you to decide whether you like it or not, despite the overwhelming temptation to spend all your upgrades on mod slots. That's "freedom" by definition. Besides it's not at all that different from what the new system will soon turn into with the "best" volt builds, rhino builds, mag builds and such. That's no different than this if you know what you're doing. The only difference is how user-friendly it will become if they revamp the skilltree. It's unnecessarily overcomplicated now.

That my friend, is the illusion of choice. If a store is selling an item for 10 dollars, and another is selling it for 15, which do you buy from? This is the proposed system.

Now add in gas prices/distance. Maybe you want something else from one store. Maybe you get a 5 dollar gift certificate for purchasing at the 15 dollar price. These are choices.

That my friend, is the illusion of choice. If a store is selling an item for 10 dollars, and another is selling it for 15, which do you buy from? This is the proposed system.

Now add in gas prices/distance. Maybe you want something else from one store. Maybe you get a 5 dollar gift certificate for purchasing at the 15 dollar price.

That's actually how I exactly felt about the new system, the illusion of choice. In my opinion, the new skilltree is nothing more than a nerf.

Why do we need to have our thoughts provoked and mind enlightened in regards to a skill tree? How did some of you even interpret it in that way in the first place?

I dislike having to upgrade Slash Dash more than once to get to one skill. Now I get to put up with flying 5 miles past my targets.

Edited by FatalX7

KG, you're working on the assumption that everyone will always be maxing the mod slots.

As you level, and you don't have a massive collection of great mods, it's not a clear cut choice.

And even when you manage to find enough mods that maxing the mod slots will be an obvious choice, the /rest/ of the slots will be open for absolute freedom of choice.

This opttion offers absolute choice, it's not restrictive in any way, the current system is.

The system in OP reminds me off Faster Than Light, where a similar system was in place. You didn't have enough power to allocate max to all systems, but you could focus based on your situation. I quite liked that. It was simple, yet tactical.

+1

(On a side note, it would probably shut up a lot of people complaining, too.)

You see it as limitation because we have all been used to having every single skill slot filled. If this was implemented from the start, the idea of limitation wouldn't even be present.

You see it as limitation because we have all been used to having every single skill slot filled. If this was implemented from the start, the idea of limitation wouldn't even be present.

That would've been true if the new upgrades were actually added on top of what we've had before. It seems more like a total revamp to me, messy.