Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the idea of Freeplacement if it's gonna snap to something either way?

Abel_Ex

Just like the title said; What's the idea of Freeplacement if it's gonna snap to something either way?

I just wanna move a decoration object around without it suddenly deciding to go ballistics when my mouse happens to point at something.

And could the "free look camera" for decorating go through objects? These two would open so many possibilities.

Thank you..

The funny thing is, it's only one side of the objects reacting violently to various types of obstacles (from sketched decorations to room boundaries). But it's done in a horribly annoying way - that is, I can go with one ledge of an orokin wall through the room's boundaries... even more! the other ledge snapping on an not-yet-built objects is what's causing it. However, if I mirror my wall, then the pivot ledge will prevent any placement that puts it beyond the room's boundaries - all these in a "free placement mode"

I wouldn't mind that pivot point/edge snap (I mean, I do see its uses at time, the object actually snapping on the surface I'm trying to align it with, as opposed to the default snap which will follow every face of every object in a given area) if I could have axis constraints on the movement, just like we have for rotation, but maybe a shorter threshold before the decoration's snap gives way to our intentions... Not like it does now, that by the time I'm allowed to push the object past its random snap pick, I'm having at least half the length of the object between the initial snap and the current position.

I will add to this that the axis constraint rotations of some objects (particularly the orokin light) tend to go haywire really fast, really bad.

But I think a better suggestion would be: add axis constraints to the snapping options (that is, no snap but slide along one of the axis - as they're locally defined by the object's rotation ('cause making symmetrical decorations or geometric constructions is a perma-nuisance), remove the free placement snap completely (and maybe instruct the engine to only draw things inside the room's boundaries - if that's the reason the forced snap is in place).

On top of that, I wouldn't mind having no limitations as to where we drop the decorations in the room. I would've understood if it would've prevented the player from spawning in, but seeing how 8 out 10 times I load inside some decoration's geometry when visiting the Dojo, that doesn't seem to be the case. Sure, the decorations area limit could also be there to prevent trolls from walling off a room, but what's the difference between walling it off 2 meters away or 20 cm, even more so if the victim can't alter the room's props? Drop a warning when positioning things in that "danger zone" and let the architect do his/her thing 😄