The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sidearm Decisions

Amistyrja

Question

I've narrowed down my best sidearms to the Lex, Vasto and Bronco Prime. Now I'm having trouble choosing which to make my main secondary weapon; the Lex or the Vasto.

My Lex has been with me since Rank 2, and was the first gun I potato'd. It's amazing, it's perfect and I already have two Forma on it. If I continue to use this over my other secondaries I'll Forma it twice more to accommodate my new Lethal Torrent.

The Vasto is great, a very enjoyable gun and quite versatile. I do not have any Formas on it at the moment. If I do decide to use it over the Lex, I'm going to have to use 4 Forma on it. Unlike the Lex, my Vasto can hold Ice Storm together with Deep Freeze since it doesn't need Quickdraw. And no, I do not want the Dual Vasto.

That said, please help me choose between the Lex and the Vasto.

If you're going to make a smartass comment like 'Acrid' or 'Despair or gtfo', shut up now. I have both, potato'd, and don't like them as much as my other secondaries.

14 answers to this question

Bronco is very, very nasty, but if you just wanted stats you'd be using the Acrid. I don't think it's range/falloff and constant reloading justify the damage in most scenarios.

So I have to think the Vasto is the best of the group now that we have so many damage/multishot mods in the game. The LEX was my buddy for a long time but it's too slow (IMHO) to be practical against large numbers of enemies. That was fine before when I could slot fire rate and reload speed, but now with all the new mods you can't put those in anymore without losing damage. I haven't done the algebra but it seems like the VASTO would end up doing more damage per shot with acceptable ergonomics using those same slots to just stick in more damage/multishot instead of the fire rate/reload speed. Even if somewhere on the curve the LEX did more "DPS" the application is so slow and crappy it's just not the right gun for it. I feel it's totally outclassed by the Vasto now.

Vasto doesn't make full use of fire rate mods due to the recoil - So even if you don't use gunslinger, thats still 60% that tends to get wasted from lethal torrent. It's firing rate with both is high enough to reach the point where it hits the semi-auto click/latency problem.

I like Lex because with maxed out gunslinger, it still moves back into place before I can shoot again. You have much more control with it, which is important for the non armor-ignoring weapons.

acrid. You oneshot lvl 60 enemies...

If you're going to make a smartass comment like 'Acrid' or 'Despair or gtfo', shut up now. I have both, potato'd, and don't like them as much as my other secondaries.

Lol, if DE will ever introduce gifting in Warframe, remind me to send you Potato or Forma :D

I say Vasto - I tried both, and Vasto can be build as high-power (even if weaker than Lex) or ROF focused gun, whatever you fancy. It's much more versatile. Plus, revolving cylinder.

If we want to throw numbers - Vasto has 25 less damage then Lex, but higher ROF, more then twice as fast reload speed, same crit chance, so it can make up for disadvantage of lower dmg. And you didn't said how do you use your side arm - as a sniper rifle to compensate for short range of primary? Or as an alternative for mid range? If "sniper rifle", I'll go with Lex. If jack-of-all-trades gun, or holy-F&%$-where-did-this-Ancient came-form-gun - go for Vasto.

Edited by SabreUr

I'm actually in much the same boat as the OP.

I've had the Lex for a very long time, don't really care for the feel of the new clan tech stuff and don't like the Kunai line.

I'd just stick with the Lex. Something about that gun just FEELS right when I use it. Every pull of the trigger sounds powerful, its precise, efficient, and does pretty good damage.

Vasto is fun to use and arguably a "stronger" gun overall, but the Lex has a certain amount of style that the Vasto just can't equal up to.

Plus, if you've decided to go Lex/Vasto instead of Acrid/Despair, dps and weapon tier isn't exactly the first thing on your mind anyway, as long as the gun can hold its own.

Edited by Haif

I'd like to thank everyone for their input in this thread.

I have decided to forma the Lex AND the Vasto. Thanks again everyone for helping me out!

I was gonna type "Why not both" but guess i was too late. D=