Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When your game crashes you should keep your progress

(XBOX)KayAitch

On XB1, at least once a day and sometimes more often, Warframe kicks me out of a mission and back to my ship with an error message.

When it does this it takes everything earned in the mission away, which is immensely frustrating when you've been playing for over an hour.

When the game crashes and dumps you back to the orbiter it should always gift you all the items, mods, affinity, focus and credits you had accumulated before the crash.

Warframe isn't a competitive game, at least not directly. There's no benefit to rage quitting, no K/D ratio to brag about and no investment that the player hadn't already lost.

So please DE, either make it so the game never crashes, or let us keep what we've earned when you do crash.

3 hours ago, -AE-Lux said:

Short answer is no and it'll never be yes. It's not easy to implement this and it would destroy performance and bandwidth to do so.

Sorry, but you'll have to explain to me why this would be hard to implement, or have any impact at all on performance or bandwidth.

My local client displayed the pickup/focus/reward at the point I got it - the client knows what I've unlocked, even when it loses its connection to the host. The actual items are already on the local client - when ESO gives you a radiant Axi relic it doesn't need to download the whole thing, the only data sent back and forth is whatever the unique key of that item is, along with some kind of handshake/acknowledgement.

As a software problem syncing and storing status is simple compared to tracking all the players jumping about and shooting at the same targets at the same time. But let's suppose it uses too much disk IO or somthing like that for the client to save state in real time - so that means that the host is tracking up to 4 game states, but somehow it can manage 4 while the client can't even manage 1.

It should not be hard to run (in memory) a log of unlocks and then read it back when the connection is lost. If performance is really the limit give users a choice of dropping something else down (like most users are used to with graphics options - I'd sacrifice ludicrous particles for saving on crash).

It probably isn't trivial to implement, and it's possible that DE has looked at this before and decided it wasn't worth the dev time - most of the map is 10 minute missions, and that used to be all there was. But now you have tridolon hunting, ESO, endless defence and survival, and so on - too many game modes are really ruined if you get crashed out.

Dev time spent on this will make players much more forgiving of crashes, and much more likely to play and enjoy longer game modes (which in turn keeps them after they've beaten the map and all the quests).

With Fortuna you'll be able to pick up bounties in the open world. That sounds great, at first, until you get a crash that loses you 4+ hours playtime. DE got away with losing everything you won in less than 10 mins, but like a whole play session?

When I first started playing Warframe, it was like this. Whenever you left a mission, for whatever reason, you kept everything you had acquired up to the point you left the mission. Then DE changed it to the way it is now where you have to finish the mission in order to get what you acquired doing the mission. The reason why was people were using this to kinda cheat and causing a lot of grief to other players. They would jump into a mission and when they got what they wanted, they would just leave the mission causing grief to the other players left in the mission. Since you could keep what you got without finishing the mission, no one would finish the mission if they got the drop they wanted because you could abort and keep everything. So, DE changed that. It has nothing to do with lag or anything like that, it is just basically an anti cheat, anti exploit system.

The problem with just making the abort system the only way to lose everything is people could just get the drop they wanted and then go to desktop and use task manager to shut the game down and then restart still keeping everything up to the point of the game shutting down. So the only way to prevent all of it was to make it way it is. So, people exploiting the game and causing grief to other players is why we can't keep our stuff when the game crashes.

On 2018-09-21 at 10:36 PM, Sepharoth said:

They would jump into a mission and when they got what they wanted, they would just leave the mission causing grief to the other players left in the mission.

I would much rather have players occasionally leave my session like that, even if that leaves me overwhelmed, than this lose everything mechanic we have now.

• 2 weeks later...

I deem no excuses!!! Where there is a will there's a way. Losing everything feels like a slap in the face. Dashboarding and lost connections are not the same process therefore totally detectable. It's so possible its laughable...DE needs to come off their sadomasochistic horse and lament.