The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

500 Free Platinum For Iphone/ipad Users

xveganrox

Fot those who dont get it; premium worth of 20 gbp is only 20 gbp for us, not for them. They make some deals with warframe, they give a set amount of money, and get codes for whoever subscribes for their mag. They dont pay for each code and they most certainly dont pay the real price of codes. Its like they give 10k but instead of gettin 500 codes, they get codes for every single user who subscribes. Dude digital codes ain't real goods, and they don't cost money or resource, therefor warframe makes such deals so they boost some sales, in which case they sell codes they normally wouldn't sell and so even though they are paid less then their actual worth, since digital goods are %100 profit, they don't loose anything. Although it might not have as much income to pc gamer, they do this once in a while for a single month of free usage, and then rest of the year other readers buy the mag.

You are right... and wrong at the same time. That lose of profit IS a real lose, not because digital goods cost anything, but because they won't sell that plat, in accounting that counts as a lose because profits per unit drop (even if drop is minimal). But you are rigth in thinking that although both PC Gamer and DE are paying (PCG in real money and DE in possible profits lost), they are investing it on publicity, so it's not a real lose for anyone (and a gaining for me!).

You are right... and wrong at the same time. That lose of profit IS a real lose, not because digital goods cost anything, but because they won't sell that plat, in accounting that counts as a lose because profits per unit drop (even if drop is minimal). But you are rigth in thinking that although both PC Gamer and DE are paying (PCG in real money and DE in possible profits lost), they are investing it on publicity, so it's not a real lose for anyone (and a gaining for me!).

They may or may not sell that plat.  If it is thought of as an advertising cost rather than a platinum giveaway it makes a lot more sense to DE.  And really that is what magazine promotions and other digital promotions really are is advertising.  Ever wonder how they pick the "best games of X and Y" in those magazines?  and why they are so often not that great of games but usually made by big major producers... you know the ones that have giant advertising budgets?

It is a win win really.  PC gamer gets content and sells, what is essentially to them add space.  DE gets advertising and possibly some new customers AS WELL how many of the people that are going to get and use this free plat see how nice it is to have some and think, man a few $$ more and I can get a bit more?  Then bam DE has a paying customer that may have otherwise not put anything into this game.

A lot of variables, all in all they probably wouldn't do it if it didn't have positive results, and seeing as how PCgamer has these types of give away stuff in almost every issue, and have for a long time, i'm thinking it is probably working.

So a screenshot of the Itunes email you get upon activating the free trial and a picture that proves i can actually read the issue?

Yeah. A screenshot from within the "store" or "library" page in the app. If you bought/signed up for the pc gamer UK subscription, that October issue should have a grey button that says "read" on it. I assume that's the digital equivalent of taking a picture of the magazine.

The iTunes email I just forwarded it along with the screencap I described above.

Hope you get it dude. :)

Edited by sushidubya

If I do this and unsubscribe will my credit card still be charged?

Not if you unsubscribe in time.

This email confirms your order of the following subscription with a free trial of 1 month. You are not charged for the free trial period, but when your 1 year subscription auto-renews on 10/04/13 you will be billed $39.99 for the period.

I don't think I even have an active CC with iTunes.

Then I should get an email of a voucher for the platinum points? Thanks again!

I did that and I got the automated message, try waiting for 2-6 days, I sent it 5 days ago, and I got mine today, just lookout for the pc gamer "Thanks for subscribing" mail, if that mail comes I guess they are getting ready to mail the code to you, that's what happened to me, I got the "thanks" mail yesterday and I got the code just this morning. goodluck!! ^^