September 5Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Megan

Depending on how U10's damage rework treats cold damage, frost may not need many changes at all. Ice wave and avalanche aren't bad against targets who don't have much armor, so if the damage rework lets ice do better vs armor, he might not need anything but freeze buffed at all.

Yeah, that had occurred to me; pre-update 9, Ice Wave and Avalanche could clear out Corpus/Infested up to about level 70 even without a Focus mod...I think (it's been a while) but with level 25+ Grineer, I may as well not have bothered.

Yes, the only real issue with Ice Wave is that it's so under-powered currently but Avalanche on the other hand, does at the very least need some CC added because then nobody (or at least I) would get cheesed off if there are any survivors because they've been stunned/frozen or whatever, same principle as Rhino Stomp.

But regardless of how well the damage revamp works out, we agree that Freeze is in desperate need of a buff.

I was finally able to log in yet I see some bugs like neutral colors and no event items.

I still have not received the Strun Wraith for some reason even though I played till the match forced us out after we hit 20 minutes.

The match doesn't force you out after 20 minutes. You play all the way until your oxygen depletes.

As for your Strun Wraith, check your profile to see your time (your profile ingame of course). If it's passed 20 minutes, take a screenshot of it and send it to Support.

-snips-

Good points. I think you are right. We now have to wait and see how everything evolves and hope our feedback might affect changes soon, to get the frame to the point where both sides can be happy with the result. Still this requires us to be vocal about our impressions. Just being more well worded and more backed by experience and data will be better. Might be a long and rocky way though.

Funny, thinking about iron skin, i actualy unlocked and build Rhino exactly during the Iron Skin changes. Never got the chance to see the total damage immunity of it.

Edited by Othergrunty

The match doesn't force you out after 20 minutes. You play all the way until your oxygen depletes.

As for your Strun Wraith, check your profile to see your time (your profile ingame of course). If it's passed 20 minutes, take a screenshot of it and send it to Support.

Ok Will do and I have my ingame shots showing 18:00 and 21

Ember was never meant to be a tank. her 10 armor instantly proves that.

That's an awefully narrow-minded statement. I would argue that the 10 armor just means she's not supposed to get into the thick of a fight without overheat backing her up.

And it doesn't matter what she was "meant" to be anyway. What matters is what she is and has been, which is a sort of hybrid tank+damage character, which has amassed a sizeable ammount of players who enjoy the character because of that.

Why is it so important to break that, I wonder?

It doesn't matter that Ember is no longer a tank. Making her fully offensive does matter. She has no depth now. The tankiness should've been replaced with depth and utility. Utility doesn't need scaling. Utility is always relevant. 

New Golem and Infested weapons are welcome, though.

Edited by Paprika

So I'm guessing that the whole deal with Ember was that she'll become  a lot better, and her adjustments will make sense when we get into update 10 with the rework of armor and enemy scaling. 
But my big concern is why did this come before U10 where she now has weeks to flounder as the worst warframe. 

There's hardly anything to trade in this game anyway. You've got mods, credits, and crafting resources...that's it.

Work on fixing more important things (skill balance, damage overhaul, endgame content) before bringing trading to a game where it would have such little value in the first place. That sounds like a very logical approach to take.

Thanks DE!

So I'm guessing that the whole deal with Ember was that she'll become  a lot better, and her adjustments will make sense when we get into update 10 with the rework of armor and enemy scaling. 

But my big concern is why did this come before U10 where she now has weeks to flounder as the worst warframe.

Ember's change should have come much sooner. Be glad they're changing elements and giving her a boost after the much needed nerf. She was a better tank than the tank frame (Rhino).

*Not directed at LukeAura*

And yes, Rhino is a tank frame. High defense with a taunt skill. That's a tank by any standard evaluation of any RPG with a tank in it. It's still a fast-paced game that requires no tank. Get over it.

Edited by Thaumatos

My belief when it comes to why these changes for the selected frames was made now, is that it will:

1.Reduce the amount of things to be updated upon U10

2.Allow time for these changes to be played and tested so proper feedback can be acquired

3.Act as as a potential model to trends or ideas that may become implemented

and

4.Prepare these frames for the potential changes to the game that they may have a greater influence over

And as a side note; just because your favorite frame got "nerfed" in U9.8, does not instantly make it the "worst" frame. As I see it, there is no "worst" frame unless you expect to use Ember to run through a high level Corpus level where her fire element will fall flat. Each has their use that makes them unique and dividing frames into tiers would just make more controversy like this. --->Signature >:4.{

My belief when it comes to why these changes for the selected frames was made now, is that it will:

1.Reduce the amount of things to be updated upon U10

2.Allow time for these changes to be played and tested so proper feedback can be acquired

3.Act as as a potential model to trends or ideas that may become implemented

and

4.Prepare these frames for the potential changes to the game that they may have a greater influence over

And as a side note; just because your favorite frame got "nerfed" in U9.8, does not instantly make it the "worst" frame. As I see it, there is no "worst" frame unless you expect to use Ember to run through a high level Corpus level where her fire element will fall flat. Each has their use that makes them unique and dividing frames into tiers would just make more controversy like this. --->Signature >:4.{

First of all, I don't own or intend to own Ember. Not my fave, I'm just a fan of speculation, and I'm a little bit insulted you're labelling me as an Ember fanboy. I entirely agree every warframe should have a specific function or thing they're good at, and that none of them should be the worst. But Ember's thing right now is pretty solely dealing with up to upper mid level infested and that's not really winning her any points. 

Second of all I'll address all your reasons in order. 

1. Seems like a reasonable idea. 

2. So if it seems too weak/strong okay now. They'll now how it'll trend when the damage changes. Alright, that makes sense. 

3. So if I'm understanding you right, this means depending how these changes go, they'll know better what to do next time? 

4. This sounds like basically what I was addressing as the issue. It may be preparing them, but in the right now it'll make Ember worse. 

First of all, I don't own or intend to own Ember. Not my fave, I'm just a fan of speculation, and I'm a little bit insulted you're labelling me as an Ember fanboy. I entirely agree every warframe should have a specific function or thing they're good at, and that none of them should be the worst. But Ember's thing right now is pretty solely dealing with up to upper mid level infested and that's not really winning her any points. 

Second of all I'll address all your reasons in order. 

1. Seems like a reasonable idea. 

2. So if it seems too weak/strong okay now. They'll now how it'll trend when the damage changes. Alright, that makes sense. 

3. So if I'm understanding you right, this means depending how these changes go, they'll know better what to do next time? 

4. This sounds like basically what I was addressing as the issue. It may be preparing them, but in the right now it'll make Ember worse.

Criticism is constructive after all. Maybe I replied a bit strongly because of the vast majority of complaints I have been seeing on these forums recently about potentially temporary changes to the warframes. Though I have to ask, if you aren't a major Ember player, why are you showing such concern toward her when you can put that passion toward this entire patch as a whole? As people have been pointing out, Ember's armor rating is much too low to even consider going melee at late game so what's the harm in boosting damage in exchange for durability. Not to avoid the argument entirely but when all of these changes are considered, and how U9.8 came out of the woodworks, far as I know, what's to say that these are just hinting toward what is being changed in U10. All game companies keep certain things on the hush hush so the community remains focused on the current content, where they can learn from mistakes for later.

Trading

We have a brief update on Trading:

“Most of the people who can work on trading, are working on the damage model changes, warframe buffs etc” -Steve

“The existing issues are damage models, certain Warframes not being viable, and certain weapon types not being viable. So the focus has really been on fixing those problems rather than taking a quantum leap [and adding trading]. I agree it is something that players ask for and we do need to have some trading in the game. The performance patch I’m hoping comes with Update 10.” -Steve

We need 0 Trading, maybe Gifting on Plats. That's it. Stop trying to listen to Orientals who want to "trade" all the time. It ends badly for you, I promise.

That's an awefully narrow-minded statement. I would argue that the 10 armor just means she's not supposed to get into the thick of a fight without overheat backing her up.

And it doesn't matter what she was "meant" to be anyway. What matters is what she is and has been, which is a sort of hybrid tank+damage character, which has amassed a sizeable ammount of players who enjoy the character because of that.

Why is it so important to break that, I wonder?

She was never in any form a "tank". Maybe have some damage mitigation to survive 1-2 hits, but not "tank". No warframe is a "tank", some can just take a few more hits. Rhino would be the closest thing to a "tank" if anything, but even he gets plowed down with enough enemy fire meaning he is NOT a tank. Ember is no exception.

They're making the game harder so it can be more enjoyable for players, not boring stalemate as it is now with Ember just needing to press "overheat" and stand in a corner of the room while everything dies around her. Besides, it's a shooter game. Just shoot more and find cover, why stand out in the open as a space ninja? Barrel-roll to the left, peak out, and aim for the head. lol

She was never in any form a "tank". Maybe have some damage mitigation to survive 1-2 hits, but not "tank". No warframe is a "tank", some can just take a few more hits. Rhino would be the closest thing to a "tank" if anything, but even he gets plowed down with enough enemy fire meaning he is NOT a tank. Ember is no exception.

They're making the game harder so it can be more enjoyable for players, not boring stalemate as it is now with Ember just needing to press "overheat" and stand in a corner of the room while everything dies around her. Besides, it's a shooter game. Just shoot more and find cover, why stand out in the open as a space ninja? Barrel-roll to the left, peak out, and aim for the head. lol

Yeah, Rhino is more of a storm trooper now, being able to head into the heat of combat and deal heavy damage before he has to retreat back into cover or the rest of the team has followed up.

His current Iron Skin supports this with being able to completely absorb any kind of damage to a certain degree and not being time bound.

Problem with the second statement however is still that Ember has nothing to support the quick run and gun idea you describe since she is neither fast nor though enough to help with that. Also as often stated allready her abilities all require close proximity meaning "Say hello to lots of gunfire!".

Criticism is constructive after all. Maybe I replied a bit strongly because of the vast majority of complaints I have been seeing on these forums recently about potentially temporary changes to the warframes. Though I have to ask, if you aren't a major Ember player, why are you showing such concern toward her when you can put that passion toward this entire patch as a whole? As people have been pointing out, Ember's armor rating is much too low to even consider going melee at late game so what's the harm in boosting damage in exchange for durability. Not to avoid the argument entirely but when all of these changes are considered, and how U9.8 came out of the woodworks, far as I know, what's to say that these are just hinting toward what is being changed in U10. All game companies keep certain things on the hush hush so the community remains focused on the current content, where they can learn from mistakes for later.

Why do I show concern for Ember? Well, actually, like you said, all frames should have something they can do, are the best at, or gives them a niche. I feel Ember is lacking of anything right now. More so than other frames on the weaker side of balanced. And actually, she had the highest effective durability with overheat before it's change. Something around 20 thousand combined shields and health, also kind of why I show a lot of concern for her, I like numbers and Ember's effective durability in overheat was a good one. The armor not even applied. 

I do hope you're right U10 makes all these Ember changes make sense, but that will have to be such a big change to scaling that the data they collect now might not say much in the new update. I'm just concerned this update has made Ember worse until U10 for no real benefit. 

Good points. I think you are right. We now have to wait and see how everything evolves and hope our feedback might affect changes soon, to get the frame to the point where both sides can be happy with the result. Still this requires us to be vocal about our impressions. Just being more well worded and more backed by experience and data will be better. Might be a long and rocky way though.

Funny, thinking about iron skin, i actualy unlocked and build Rhino exactly during the Iron Skin changes. Never got the chance to see the total damage immunity of it.

I agree. We're here to not just be yes men, but we also aren't here to just sit and complain. We need to provide feedback. People who just sit here and threaten DE, or make dumbass sarcastic remarks about how the game sucks/they're leaving/etc shouldn't be, and won't be, listened to. 

My opinion is that the old overheat was overpowered. My suggestion is to combine the new Overheat with WoF since they're very similar, and then create a whole new 2 ability to replace Overheat.

Narrow minded?

Ember 9.8: Feedback Thread

Scott's Comments:

Ah Ember, after looking Ember over it was obvious she was suffering from some neglect. She had numerous under the hood bugs that would make her powers not quite right. We fixed her up and gave her a buff. One of the biggest changes for Ember players will be the change to overheat. Ember was meant to be a caster damage frame not a tank, with addition of mods and changes to the game she became one of the best tanks in the game. This was never intended and she is now back in the roll she is meant to fill. I am aware that Overheat and World on Fire is very similar in design.  This might need further rework to push these two powers further apart. Suggestions and feedback welcome.

Straight from her creator's mouth...well, his fingers. Since it's typed.

Edited by SoulEchelon

We need 0 Trading, maybe Gifting on Plats. That's it. Stop trying to listen to Orientals who want to "trade" all the time. It ends badly for you, I promise.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I agree. We're here to not just be yes men, but we also aren't here to just sit and complain. We need to provide feedback. People who just sit here and threaten DE, or make dumbass sarcastic remarks about how the game sucks/they're leaving/etc shouldn't be, and won't be, listened to. 

My opinion is that the old overheat was overpowered. My suggestion is to combine the new Overheat with WoF since they're very similar, and then create a whole new 2 ability to replace Overheat.

I think most here agree, that now that Overheats huge utility was removed they need to make a serious overhaul to Ember's abilities similar to Rhino.

Combining overheat and WOF, you mean Ember gaining damage resistance with WOF?

Personaly i think Ember's skills should be somewhat like this:

1. Damage and utility.

2. Protective assault (allowing getting into casting range without being a straight tank).

3. Quick damage (the concept of fireblast could stick here but could need some tweaks)

4. Serious damage (improved World on Fire)