Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Players Joining And Going Afk For Free Xp

MaestroSartori

I have no idea why people do this as I assumed people play this game to, you know, play the game. But for some reason over the last few weeks I have joined numerous missions where someone will join, then say something along the lines of "lol noobs thanks for the free run going afk now lolol". Not to point out the obvious, but this is INFURIATING. Now if I want to finish the mission and get whatever I am there for, I do it knowing that I am giving this moron exactly what he wants. I usually just abort, as does everyone else aside from the afk player. I have been annoyed by this but haven't reached a breaking point till today. Through all of my assorted crafting I have found myself extremely low on circuits, and when I logged on there was an alert up with circuits as a reward with one minute left. When i joined it was me and two others. One of them went down three times in rapid succession, on the third one no one bothered tp revive him because the pod was getting hit. He used a revive, then promptly went afk. After ten minutes he came back to say (and pardon the language): "going afk cause you f*ggots made me waste a f*cking revive thanks for the free sh*t lol". The other player and I responded by aborting, which prevented any of us from getting what we originally came there for. I want the ability to boot/report/punish other players in some way for doing things like this. It ruins the game for people that are actually here to play and enjoy. Being able to vote to boot an afk player would save the sanity of so many people and reduce the number of idiots like this drastically.

Blame the exploit, not the exploiter.

It's DE's fault for having the experience system benefit the one who doesn't kill the most.

Vote kicking will NOT resolve anything. Just wait for the blacklist, as Snake tends to say so much.

Edited by Hayden11121

It's DE's fault for having the experience system benefit the one who doesn't kill the most.

Vote kicking will NOT resolve anything. Just wait for the blacklist, as Snake tends to say so much.

Problem with any kind of affinity sharing system based on how much damage is done is all the strong offensive frames would hog all the affinity.

Have a Nova in your team for a defense mission and hoping to get at least decent affinity? Not gonna happen as long as Molecular Prime does as much damage as it does.

Not saying it needs a nerf, just saying that as long as there are really strong "bailout" powers that clear out hordes of enemies in one fell swoop, that kind of affinity system won't work well.

Edited by spidey2092

When I first started, I would have high leveled guys join the room, and me who didn't know jack shi-  would always go left and right trying to figure out what's going on, the story and the dialogue, etc. And these guys would rush so fast that I can't even get to the finish line before the timer.

This wouldn't be ideal for newer players since if they can't 1 hit anything then they won't gain any bonuses and exp.

Edited by Teokure

When I first started, I would have high leveled guys join the room, and me who didn't know jack shi-  would always go left and right trying to figure out what's going on, the story and the dialogue, etc. And these guys would rush so fast that I can't even get to the finish line before the timer.

This wouldn't be ideal for newer players since if they can't 1 hit anything then they won't gain any bonuses and exp.

New players should try to play solo first and only when you learn basis of this game, go to online.

No one needs random noobs in their team.

Edited by AntLion

I don't get it... if they're going for Affinity it has a range limit for the shared exp part, if they want loot they have to move over it same goes with mods, how is this even beneficial? If anything it would seem you're just running into trolls or complete idiots who don't know how the system works.

Yeah, I don't get it.  You forfeit most or all of your credits by not making it to the exit room; you forfeit most of the affinity by not staying near the action; and you forfeit drops by not moving to pick them up.  The only things you'll really get from afking are special Alert rewards and mission progress.

So yeah, I do think an inaction/noncontribution timer + vote kick is needed, but... really, those folks are just idiots.

I honestly haven't come into this problem whatsoever, but that's just a personal standpoint.

I agree with Hayden11121 on this, vote kicking won't solve it; I think that'd just open the floodgates for people to just kick out players who aren't playing the way they want them to. I remember joining an Io Defence, using world on fire to kill the infested as they left the gate to try and take the pressure off and the team I was with all just start hurling German insults at me. Only knew they were insults because I say "ember is g*y" in there at the end of the sentence then they all bailed, so I think a vote kick system would just get exploited in the long run.

An "Activity Meter" came to mind, so if you're not running around or doing any damage then it'd kick you, but even then you could get kicked if your team just kicked &#! and you couldn't get to the kills as I find quite a lot.

It's a solution that needs addressing, but I honestly can't invent a good solution.

I remember joining an Io Defence, using world on fire to kill the infested as they left the gate to try and take the pressure off and the team I was with all just start hurling German insults at me.

I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly, but were you spawn camping? That takes away exp from the team (because you're too far away) and they have to run for a long time to get to mod and resource drops.

Formatting rocks!

No, Brick is superior to format. With brick you hit people in the face so they don't actually read your thread and just make comments based on the title.

My comment based of the title is....

Sorry peeps join your game and afk amigo. I would recommend only running with friends or soloing if it really bothers you all that much. Personally I find the game to be much more challenging and enjoyable solo or with only a buddy with you.

I would reply deeper but your brick paragraph makes me think you are trolling and I really shouldn't bother reading it.

Sorry for the initial wall of text/brick, I tend to get a little wordy when I post. Reading over this I do realize that a votekick system would just get taken advantage of in a bad way, but the idea of a timer that kicks someone or drastically reduces their reward after no activity is a much better solution, hoping for that eventually. As for the "always play with friends" angle, there aren't always three other people online to play with, and defense missions are tough to solo if you want to get up in the higher waves

It's pretty S#&$ty to AFK-leech in a public match. But, just like in real life, the best way to stop people from engaging in wrongful behavior is to identify and eliminate the cause of that behavior, rather than punishing individuals as they do it. This isn't to say kicking AFKers isn't warranted. I'm pretty sure there's already an AFK timer thingy, which I think needs to be shortened a bit.

Anyways, why do people AFK leech? Well, the only thing to do in this game is grind, and grinding gets old really fast. But people still have goals to reach, so they go to mobile defense or endless defense and tab out to do something that's actually interesting. Standing on the pod/console in a Snowglobe pressing 4 or waiting while other people press 4 becomes incredibly mind numbing the 500th time you've done it.

If you're grinding components and don't care about affinity, why even bother getting kills? There's no incentive not to just walk away; after all, someone can press 4 to kill everything, it's not like you need to be there. (For those who don't know how shared affinity works: you gain 100% of the affinity from allied kills if they are close enough, but it is split evenly between your frame, primary, secondary, and melee. This means that if you are grinding weapon XP, it is better for you to get kills with it than allow your squadmates to get those kills instead.)

If you're grinding weapon XP, it's faster to go to a high level area such as Kiste on Ceres than it is to go to a lower level area that has enemies you can actually kill. There's no incentive to actually play, because you're not going to be getting kills with the weapon you want affinity for if someone is using a more powerful weapon -- let alone a Saryn or a Rhino spamming 4. Might as well walk away and go do those dishes that have been piling up.

The obvious solution here is to make player progression (getting mods, weapons, etc) less of a chore: reduce the grind. Let's all take a moment to laugh here, we all know DE will never reduce the grind.

Past that, the best solution is to make the gameplay while grinding more fun and engaging. This forum is littered with suggestions about how to do this.

Edited by litlir

I had a similar experience earlier today. I was playing an unranked Ember in Jupiter Defense, wave 3 or 4 yet, some dude simply stopped playing and typed something like "I'll just let you do your thing then, keep having fun Ember, k" and crouched on top of the pod, then kept talking as if I'm the cause of all his troubles and whatnot simply because I dropped a Fire Blast once or twice in each wave on the entry spots to the pod... He wasn't afk but he remained like that, refusing to play and constantly talked crap until wave 10 {even after I stopped using powers completely}, using my fire blast as an excuse since I'm "stealing his kills". He even went as far as saying Ember is worse than Nova regarding the so called "power abuse" all the while sitting on top of the pod with his Volt. :|

just lol... I blame neither the exploit nor the exploiter, but the F2Pness, where you will always come across some obnoxious twat that look for nothing but having fun at your expense one way or the other. No offense, not everyone is like that of course, I'm just talking about "that one occasional guy" who shows up and starts insulting or ruin your game one way or the other.

Sorry about the language, just venting.

Edited by CapricaSix

What if they had a check for hitting an enemy in order to received shared exp? That is, if you hit an enemy, you are eligible to get shared exp for 10 seconds. That means even if someone runs to the door on the far left of the pod and kills everything in Xini, you still only have to tap one of those few spawns that come from the right of the pod to qualify for the affinity.

I'd like to see an afk-er have to alt tab in and out every 7-8 seconds just to leech.

What if they had a check for hitting an enemy in order to received shared exp? That is, if you hit an enemy, you are eligible to get shared exp for 10 seconds. That means even if someone runs to the door on the far left of the pod and kills everything in Xini, you still only have to tap one of those few spawns that come from the right of the pod to qualify for the affinity.

I'd like to see an afk-er have to alt tab in and out every 7-8 seconds just to leech.

I'm sure they can use some macro to get around it. Aim near the pod, set your mouse to fire once in every 7-8 seconds and it's bound to hit something eventually.

I think we just need it in the "report player" menu, it's extra work for DE but hardcore afkers getting a suspension would be quite discouraging. Like say if 10-15 people reported you for AFKing in the past 3 days or so, you get "flagged". But then I guess it could also be abused, some dude making 15 accounts just to troll someone. ._.

The best alternative would be simply ditching the shared XP. Not a good idea to punish everyone over a couple of AFKers though.

Edited by CapricaSix