Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for the nice Switch port! ♥

Berserkerkitten

Okay, I really didn't expect this, but...

I like playing the PC version of Warframe. 4k, 60 FPS, mouse & keyboard. I have my clan, dojo and emblems on there, got my Excalibur Prime, I'm well into Fortuna - long story short, there's a whole bunch of stuff I really like about the PC version, which I simply can't have on Switch, even with an account migration.

But hey, it's a free download, I felt I should at least have a quick look at how it all plays and runs. So I fired it up and messed around with the tutorial a bit last night, then gave it another shot when account migration went live and what do you know, it's my ship with all of its decorations and what have you.

xoSAXts.jpg

Fashion frame is a bit difficult with all the TennoGen stuff missing, but I worked with what I had and it all looked pretty enough on Nintendo's little hybrid console.
BZbXObs.jpg

I'll admit I'm not super excited about how it's just 30 FPS and dips noticeably below that when things get too hectic. The drops in resolution, particularly on Cetus in handheld mode, take some getting used to, to say the least. The water on the frozen corpus ice cave tileset is so basic and devoid of all detail, it's really a bit yucky. Warframe is so ridiculously well-optimized and has such low requirements, that I suppose I just expected a little more even on the Switch's humble hardware. With that in mind, it's nice to see all the different settings for particle effects, ambient occlusion, motion blur, bloom and so forth. It's nice to get so much control over quality vs performance in a console port.

Just sitting around on Cetus, watching countless excalibros in goofy colours and the occasional migrant tenno was surprisingly fun. Chat is so busy on there, it feels just like on PC. It helps that you can use an actual keyboard to talk to people, if you so desire. Actual mission gameplay is pretty amazing on Switch, as well, if a bit sluggish at times. I brought a Nidus with me, who really destroyed our framerate in places, but it was impressive to see how many enemies would spawn everywhere around us. I was worried you'd tone things down a notch on Switch, but we were constantly surrounded by baddies, which was great.

7wEpJbw.jpg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely love the motion controls. To me, it's the most enjoyable alternative to a mouse and keyboard. Gyro aiming might not be quite as accurate as a mouse without a certain amount of practice, but it gets the job done and feels incredibly satisfying. I actually prefer playing this game with joy cons for the gyro aiming alone. Just feels better to me than it does on a pro controller, even if I'm probably in the minority here.

My only problem is how the whole thing is completely separate from the PC version. On the one hand, the Switch version is so much more enjoyable than I thought, I just don't want to put it down. On the other hand, all my fashion stuff, my dojo, my high resolution and FPS, my friends, it's all on the PC. I could just happily chill on the sofa right now and keep playing the Switch version in handheld mode. 😄

I hope that one day some sort of account synching might be possible. I don't want to do everything twice. I really just wanted to take a quick look at the Switch version, play around with it for a few moments, just for the heck of it. Now I can't stop. Crap.
Thanks for the cool port, DE!

Edited by Berserkerkitten

4 minutes ago, Berserkerkitten said:

I'll admit I'm not super excited about how it's just 30 FPS and dips noticeably below that when things get too hectic. The drops in resolution, particularly on Cetus in handheld mode, take some getting used to, to say the least

tbh that as well as no shared progression, makes Smite/Paladins my Switch Number 1 Game

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Kyoresh:

tbh that as well as no shared progression, makes Smite/Paladins my Switch Number 1 Game

Still hoping this night all work on Switch at some point in the future, as well. 

I love all the new people in chat right now, experiencing Warframe for the very first time. "Hey, what's the best Warframe?" "Is Frost any good? Should I craft Frost?" "How do I win?" Bless these innocent babies. 😄

It would be hard to go from PC to Switch. I played a little bit on Xbox but once I heard the Switch version was coming I stopped. Obviously the Switch version doesn't run as well as my Xbox One X, but the motion controls alone make it much more enjoyable for me. Being able to quickly flick the controller up for bullet jumping or down for melee smashes is so much easier and sniping with the Paris is incredibly satisfying. They just need to improve performance, reduce input lag, and increase the motion sensitivity. Then it will be perfect in my opinion.

I just cranked motion sensitivity all the way to 100 and get on really well. Bit sad they've removed all the PC riven mods, arcanes and other stuff, which made most of my favourite builds work, buuut I guess I can always come back to Switch a little while later. I mean, they gotta bring that back at some point, I guess? Hopefully? Maybe? Please?