The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Add Vaulting Maneuvers [Warning: Lots Of Images]

AtokNiiro

This looks great, will send to the group of devs responsible for movement design and integration.

Rebecca did make sure to pass this along. AtokNiiro, amazing post appreciate the effort put into it.

Its really cool to see these thoughts because we actually have tried a great deal of what you suggest, especially with the vaulting mechanics. The reason its not in game *yet* is because we haven't been able to get it feeling as a proper evolution of our current movement. The implementation we had was a little too "sticky" so it made you feel like you were losing control of your Warframe. Animations we did are very close to your sketches tho.

We do intend to go back to it and get it feeling better, I will also pass this along to Daniel (our programmer who implement's this stuff). Really dig your thoughts on melee inclusion as well.

For those who didn't read all the thread and are now demanding DE add this..... Keep hoping it will be in U11

Rebecca did make sure to pass this along. AtokNiiro, amazing post appreciate the effort put into it.

Its really cool to see these thoughts because we actually have tried a great deal of what you suggest, especially with the vaulting mechanics. The reason its not in game *yet* is because we haven't been able to get it feeling as a proper evolution of our current movement. The implementation we had was a little too "sticky" so it made you feel like you were losing control of your Warframe. Animations we did are very close to your sketches tho.

We do intend to go back to it and get it feeling better, I will also pass this along to Daniel (our programmer who implement's this stuff). Really dig your thoughts on melee inclusion as well.

WOOO!

I love doing acrobatics in Warframe.

Being able to run around doing wallruns, flips and rolls is one of the things that make this game one of my favourites.

There is a move I'd love to see added to the game — vaulting

More precisely, the Speed Vault (examples here: http://youtu.be/m1DR9UxkNIE?t=4m36s). When you gotta go FAST, jumping over obstacles slows you down and doesn't feel as cool as if you were to do a speedy fault over the obstacle and continuing ahead at full speed.

Additionally, Speed Vaulting over obstacles takes one hand (some other vaults take two free hands), so the active weapon would stay out while you did a stylish, kicking vault.

My idea is that SPRINT + JUMP while near an obstacle too low for initiating a vertical wall-run will make you vault over the obstacle without losing speed or perhaps even giving you a slight speed boost.

Examples of such obstacles

If instead of an obstacle it was a change in level (still too low for a full vertical wallrun), you'd roll on your shoulder up onto the platform, maintaining your speed.

Example of such a platform (bad screenshot, but you probably recognise the room)

The curve your movement would draw in the air would be flatter than that of a regular jump, so in cases where the obstacle (usually in the form of a rail/fence) is in front of a drop in level, you'd get further horisontally when vaulting (marked with red arrows) in comparison to jumping over the rail (marked with blue arrows).

Examples of obstacles followed by a drop in level

===== ADDING MELEE TO THE EQUATION =====

Now this is where the really cool stuff starts.

The melee attack you'd do from a Speed Vault could be a horisontally spinning strike, akin to the one you when stealth killing Infested Chargers.

(in my sketches I have drawn the figures with dual swords, but other types would work just as well)

The idea is that clicking MELEE in the middle of the vault will send you spinning with your melee weapon out, hitting enemies in front of you.

The attack will spin you around until you hit the ground, making you exit into a roll as we know it, as opposed to 'nailing' you to the ground for a second like a ground attack does.

Example: clicking MELEE at the top of the vault will send you spinning. If there is a drop in level, you'll continue spinning until you hit the ground.

Example: spinning strike not what you want right here? Wait with tapping MELEE until you have exited the vault to do a regular ground attack.

===== OTHER THOUGHTS =====

• Doing a vault without following it up with a melee attack will knock over an enemy standing on the other side of the obstacle, in the same with that JUMP + CROUCH kicking does. Since Speed Vaulting has a kicking motion of the legs, it would feel very appropriate (and satisfying)

• Because you use your free hand to vault, you could still be able to shoot while mid-vault, like when you are diving or ziplining.

===============

I personally think adding this mechanic to the game would make the cool factor even higher. 

DE, I hope you see this and consider it.

Thanks for reading, what do you think?

I posted something JUST like this (without the visuals or good explination) but i would love to see this!

Edited by Wolf_Bite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...