Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Anthem is WF’s future competition, then Vanquish is its past

cheliel

On 2018-12-11 at 2:44 PM, YUNoJump said:

Vanquish has a similar parkour + guns aesthetic, but it's a singleplayer campaign-based shooter while Warframe is a shooter/RPG hybrid thing with MMO-esque progression and a focus on squad multiplayer. Overall they appeal to very different groups of players. 

after watching 20 of game play, eh no. the sliding mechanic replaces bullet jumping, it uses a little bit of gear/division cover and then “aim glide”. 

17 часов назад, Autongnosis сказал:

Exactly. 

1) anthem looks like a shooter, destiny is definitely a shooter, warframe is a musou. Nope. If anything their common ground is being a looter. The only thing warframe has in common with a shooter is that you can phisically aim your gun, otherwise it would be even more like dinasty warriors than both anthem and destiny as far as combat goes. 

2) that's right. 

3) just like every other MMO and MMO lite ever made. 

4) just like every looter ever made. 

5) that's true and false at the same time. They have the same, at least loosely, progression model but anthem we know not enough yet, destiny has a very clear progression aim in raids and strikes and other endgame activities, while warframe is about only getting more powerful and collecting things. Hardly the same. 

6) just like every other RPG ever. Also, the way destiny and warframe handle leveling is polar opposite of one another. The only points of contact here are the fact classes are "suits" and rivens. Every other kind of mechanic is completely different, from the skill tree vs mods scenario, to how they handle player choice to equioment progression. Also, items themselves do not level at all in destiny.

7) cant say yet about anthem but the pvp systems in Warframe and destiny couldn't be more different, from the way they handle mechanics, power progression, movement etc. They are however both old style instance based pvps. The other big different is that the crucible is a core part of the destiny game, while conclave is a minor, tacked on addition that is sorta just there

1. Warframe is a shooter. Just like The Witcher is a RPG (though it has more slasher elements than RPG's), Hitman and Dishonored are stealth (though the former have fairly well done action-shooter mechanics and the latter has magic powers and melee combat), Devil May Cry is a slasher (though Dante has pistols).

Yes, modern games are very complex, they usually have a multiple mechanics from different genres, and it's getting harder to tell which genre the game has but base genres are still the same as they were when RPGs had no action combat and Shooters had no stealth nor magic, etc.

Sure, you can play Warframe as a slasher, or as a RPG with magic, or both. Just like I was playing Destiny 2 as a boxing simulator, punching enemies with my powerful fist and you actually can play it that way, guns are only useful when the enemy is too far. Also, you could use magic mostly. Also, there are swords in Destiny. But still you say Destiny is "definitely" a shooter while Warframe is not. Why?

Also, take a look at your Arsenal menu. There's a primary weapon which is a gun (or a bow). There's a secondary weapon which is a gun as well. And also there's a third alternative weapon which is melee.

Warframes. They're the same RPG aspect as javelins in Anthem and classes in Destiny, also basically the same as different sets of abilities in Dishonored. They give you different play styles, but they don't determine the game's genre.

3. You're trying to say that it doesn't matter if two games have similar aspects and they play on the same field, one still cannot compare them, right?

4. Same as 3rd.

5. Yes, Destiny has end-game while Warframe has not... while Warframe is trying to have one, with trials, Eidolons, Railjack... Is it not a comparison reason? Two multiplayer MMO lite sci-fi looter shooters with magic powers and character building stuff: one has a feature, another one has not. Nah, how could you compare them?

6. Speaking about different mechanics. Are you one of those people who say one cannot compare iPhone and Samsung cell phones because they made by different companies, have different OSs, and their software work differently because their source code was wrote differently? Come on! I always thought it's the purpose of the comparisons to look at differently made things which goals are similar and which aim at the mostly the same audience (be it smartphones or looter shooters) and find out which performs better and more satisfying.

7. Destiny's PvP is nothing more than Warframe's. It's not a main feature, it's not "must be done at daily basis", it has no affect on other aspects of the game. It's clearly just "it's just there", just for those who do like it.

17 часов назад, Falconer777 сказал:

I also hope that someday you will understand that the tricks of the F2P games are no better than microtransactions.

One example - in every topic about the auction on this forum, perhaps the main argument of opponents of its introduction is that the auction can reduce the purchase of platinum from DE, since players will not need to spend so much time on this atavism in the form of trade chat. That is, the absolute inconvenience of trading de forces players to pay real money. The same with grind, with boosters, with frame creation latency - do you love your time? To pay! With beginners who have not yet understood the game, and buy resources and credits (!) for platinum. Etc, etc.

I feel sad for you,  that you do not see these obvious things.

As I said, if microtransactions don't affect fair play terms and don't ruin game for other players, I'm mostly OK with that. Though, there're some other things I don't like, particularly the lore breaking cosmetics, even in single player games, like those unicorns and Final Fantasy's chickens in Assassin's Creed: Origins.

And yes, these things you've described are obvious. I know about them. And they are nothing bad nor unfair. Gambling, advantages in PvP, lore breaking stuff - these are bad. Time savers are not, unless it goes too far, of course, and in Warframe it's not gone too far, at least yet.

15 часов назад, Corvid сказал:

Untrue in both Destiny and Warframe's cases (both the Crucible and the Conclave are in the lore as a means of training Guardians/Tenno to stay sharp), and PvP has been confirmed to be absent from Anthem.

Well, I consider PvP a part of the lore when it's actually a part of the lore, as fractions conflict in WoW and such, determined by the lore, has the story driven reason. These training PvP in Warframe and Destiny is nothing more than just "well, we have some PvP here".

Edited by Ermiq

warframe have no identity anymore , theres no mystery nor any solid story behind it , its been clear that DE are making this 💩 on the go , what de we suppose to be actually ?

balancer of the universe ? defenders of the universe ? mercenary ? all of this combined ? 

22 минуты назад, Ermiq сказал:

And yes, these things you've described are obvious. I know about them. And they are nothing bad nor unfair. Gambling, advantages in PvP, lore breaking stuff - these are bad. Time savers are not, unless it goes too far, of course, and in Warframe it's not gone too far, at least yet.

This is probably a subjective opinion. In my opinion it has already gone too far.
And I also forgot to mention gambling in the form of Riven.
All of the above I personally spoils the game. And I hardly ever agree that these tricks are better than bad microtransactions. 

This is a business.

5 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Source, please?  I don't have a citation either, but I had the impression that the Warframe team (meaning everyone working on this game) was less than a hundred people.  Considering that Assassin's Creed has (I think) more like a *thousand* or so, Warframe has a relatively small team compared to most Triple A titles.

According to Wikipedia they have 170 employees.