The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

DirectX 9 support and what it means for some players

Exiztenzial

Basically, since early 2017 using DirectX 10 and 11 results in complete graphics freeze on my laptop, but the game wheels merrily along and you die if in mission because you are now completely blind. Alt F4.  

So the countdown begins to February and the time beyond which Warframe is verboten until I get a new up to date GeForce laptop, which will not be happening for many months probably.

Why should this be the case when my Nvidea drivers are always up to date? Why does it even happen in the first place?

Will a DirectX 10/11 screen freeze fix ever appear? 

• Like 1

I got the same issue on my PC, also running an Nvidia card.

It's been freezing up anytime I enable DirectX 10 or 11 and would only run if both were disabled.

The issue has been going on for a while as well for many players.

• Like 1

My 64bit is on. All my graphics are off and lowest possible settings. I can play the game fine lag free on Navigation missions with both Directx 10-11 on.

I highly doubt Warframe open world is optimized properly with DirectX10 or 11.

Note: I use to play Cetus a lot with both Dx 10-11 off. Now we are forced to have it on here are the outcomes.

When I go to Cetus I graphic lag like hell. I had both Directx 10-11 on. My GPU is just AMD 7660G with DirectX 11 supported.

I tried turning off DirectX10 and it was a little bit smoother but still lags with only directX 11.

Now for DirectX10 issue it is even worst. I turned off Directx11 with directx 10 on only.

I join a normal alert mission in which I should not lag normally. Guess what? It lags even worst than Cetus with DirectX 11 on only.

Something is seriously wrong with Directx10 option only.

But anyways I don't think I can play open world maps properly with the two Directx on. I have yet to tried 10 on Cetus I can assume its much worst.

Edited by Makemap

• 3 weeks later...

I been playing on a low-end pc, even with only Direct X9 and 32-bit, I could barely run in Cetus, Fortuna was a "nope.avi"..

Enabling either DirectX versions or 64-bit just denies me of any access towards open-world, while for normal mission nodes, I would be limited to solo or the luck of not having Warframe freeze in public/friends only/invites only... 

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a new laptop anytime soon, I am like 90% sure not within a year from now.. 

• 2 weeks later...

and today i got the same issue untick both dx10 and dx11 the game freeze but sound still present,
later about 5-7 sec the game back to normal, i
i was not ticking this both dx10 and dx11 and now i must turn it on because of dx9 cannot be use anymore.
i play it freshly about 1 month after formating my pc, and the game works just fine until today window 10 update the game itself fk up. :(((

plus i try checking my dxdiag and it say i was using dx 12 so i think this is the issue. dx12 not compatible with dx10 and dx11 warframe game.

• 2 weeks later...

When I test played on my laptops, about 2 years ago, with i5 2520m and i7 2620m (both have Intel® HD Graphics 3000) they were running fine on dx9.
When I activated dx10, graphically became much better but almost always failed to start a mission... timed out almost every time.

I have an old i7-2600 computer with intel HD graphics 2000. DX11 = black window. DX9 works. DX10 excessive loading screen and freezes with about 20% CPU usage (one thread maxed out).

I do have a better Nvidia GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 and AMD RX 550 4GB, but if the shader cache is off in Nvidia/AMD control panel, it will max out CPU to 100% usage for 20-60 seconds on every loading screen. Shader loading/compiling is multi-threaded on AMD and NVidia. Why intel graphics 2000/3000 do 1-2 minute freeze and fails to multi-thread with no DX10 shader cache?

At the miniimum, the game shouldn't try to load too many stuff in one frame at the same time, and have an option to never unload shaders and re-use it.