The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia rework (and how it could be done)

Polkadog

Hi, so I've been playing Octavia for quite a while now. Before the release of bard frame since Pax South 2016, I've been hyping Octavia and now after a year of playing her, I think there needs to be a rework done. So I have listed Octavia's biggest flaws and ways they could be fixed.

Please leave comments on what do you think about this idea; should it be done or should something be changed in it. Any feedback is appreciated since I really want for DE to notice these suggestions and to be taken to consideration. 

Octavia rework

Octavia's flaws:

Abilities:

Mallet: 
        Boring raw damage output
            (Put it on the ground and sit down, mission complete)
        Stationary
            (Unless with 2 (see below[1]))
            If you move from a room to another room, you need to cast mallet again
            Practical mostly in defense, mobile defense, interception, and excavation

Resonator: 
        While deals hard CC, it does not match the speed of warframe's gameplay.
            (Practical mostly in defense, mobile defense, excavation, hijack, capture, interception (if not solo))
        Unlike Mallet, is mobile
            (Can be countered by augment)
            Picks up Mallet automatically, making mallet less useful in:
                Defense, mobile defense, interception, and excavation
                    (Makes it less useful in situations where it is most useful)[1]
        Range buff when luring more enemies into following it is not noticeable
        If resonator picks up a new mallet, most of the time enemies start following the resonator before shooting mallet to cause damage

Metronome:
        Requires concentration for listening rather than playing
            Can be countered for having a constant melody
                Removes musical creativity
                Having chords does not have as great of an effect as having spamable notes
        Has armor buff that is only presented in percentage in statistics of Metronome
            (I learned this only after reading the statistics)
            The buff is unnoticeable

Vivace:
            Adds a slight speed buff AFTER jumping few times making it less viable instead of bullet jumping

Amp:
        Small range
        Underapriciated buffs; used mostly for doubling mallet's range and damage
            On the other hand, makes metronome's opera and forte buffs slighty less valuable

Octavia's fixes:

Option 1 (slightly changing):

Resonator: 
            Resonator augment is now in the ability
            Resonator does not pick up Mallet automatically
            Holding Resonator to move to mallet, picks it up (trigger range ~1.5 meters)
            Attraction max range is raised
            Attraction min range is lowered

Metronome:
            Has less note hits required for buff activations
                (Could be effectet by power strenght)
            Base buff presentages are raised from 30% to 35% or 40%

Option 2 (more changing but the best option):

Mallet:
            Is attatched to Octavia like Metronome
            Mallet's damage output is raised by damage taken
            Mallet is a toggle ability

Resonator:
            Same as Opt. 1

Metronome:
            Metronome is a toggle abilty
            Activating Metronome has Vivace, Opera and Forte on in 5-10%
                Min and max presentage is affected by power strength
                (Nocturne works the same, but with opt.1 changes)
                More presentage on vivace, opera and forte is gained by the same way as before, but presentage decays off by time
                    (Decay effected by duration)
                One note hit increases the presentage by 5% by default
                    (Cannot be affected by power strenght but by the number of notes in one tick)
                        (ec. One note in a tick gives 5%, 2 notes 10%, 3 notes 15%, 4 notes 20% and 5 notes 25%)
                            (Thus one note per tick fills up the presentage in 6 hits and 5 notes/tick in 2 hits)
                    (Presentage could/should be smaller)

Amp:
            Increased range due Mallet now being mobile

Option 3 (Severely changing):

Now uses the same fundamentals as shown in Pax South 2016
            (Really work demanding change, but could be most rewarding)
        Abilities probably have to be renamed

Mandachord:
            Now only for metronome
                Has 4 different segments with larger scales
                    For different buffs, segments have different scales

Mallet:
            Works the same way as the current amp    

Resonator:
            {Any own opinions on this? I'm running out of ideas}    

Metronome:
            Toggle ability
            4 mandachord segments have different buffs
                One different segment gives Octavia (and allys) something
                    (For example)
                    Speed
                    Healing
                    Shields
                    Armor
            More notes per tick give bigger rewards and constant one notes per tick gives constant smaller rewarding

Amp:
            Now is a toggle ability
            Taken damage increase power strength
                (Max 60~80% increase)

Before octavia gets any tweaks, she Metronome note/buff timing needs to be EXACTLY IDENTICAL to its audio que with better visual effect clarity (if possible a accent coloured ring area guitar hero/rythm game style instead of this pseudo "when the 4 segments connect but not when they are already a ring with the effect texture scaling with range), instead of around 1/8th of a second after the audio, so that she becomes actually playable when using a song without all notes filled without ripping out all of your hair.

STOP!

Ocatavia dont need any changes. Period. She is one of the most strongest frames in the game and you can use all of her abilities without that one is to bad to use. As an Octavia player I really want yo say: she dont needs anything. Dont bring her on DEs radar. If she gets on it she will be nerfed for sure. A rework is not needed. If you find her boring than play another frame. She is totally fine. The only thing is the problem with metronome the acting in time if you are not the host but that's it.

Dont try to fix something that is not broken!

1 hour ago, DerGreif2 said:

STOP!

Ocatavia dont need any changes. Period. She is one of the most strongest frames in the game and you can use all of her abilities without that one is to bad to use. As an Octavia player I really want yo say: she dont needs anything. Dont bring her on DEs radar. If she gets on it she will be nerfed for sure. A rework is not needed. If you find her boring than play another frame. She is totally fine. The only thing is the problem with metronome the acting in time if you are not the host but that's it.

Dont try to fix something that is not broken!

Absolutely she's powerful, but the fact that I can just throw Mallet and Amp to the ground and do some dance emotes to win 20 rounds in Hydron without a stretch is boring. To have some activity but the same output to a game is what I'd like from a rework; not a buff nor a nerf. 

Thus why I made different rework suggestions, where option 1 is for you if you'd like to have that playstyle, but still for her to have some viability for Resonator and Metronome. Option 2 would be to have some cost for using Mallet. To be honest, Octavia actually is balanced right now, but to be more honest, having Mallet's damage output without any drawbacks makes her a target of a possible nerf and then we'd have another Banshee: broken and unplayed. This is why I don't mention in any of the different options that Mallet damage output should be decreased. While mallet can deal fair damage to level 30 - 50 but then at levels above the damage does not affect so much on enemies. For me, the biggest drawback for mallet is the lack of mobility, which makes it less useful in other mission types. This is why I think option 1 is something we should get at least.

20 minutes ago, Polkadog said:

Absolutely she's powerful, but the fact that I can just throw Mallet and Amp to the ground and do some dance emotes to win 20 rounds in Hydron without a stretch is boring. To have some activity but the same output to a game is what I'd like from a rework; not a buff nor a nerf. 

The point is that I like that kind of styles. Yes she is kind of an AFK frame but still. No need for a rework because she is boring for some people.

28 minutes ago, DerGreif2 said:

The point is that I like that kind of styles. Yes she is kind of an AFK frame but still. No need for a rework because she is boring for some people.

So would a mix of Option 1 and 2 be something that would sound good?

Option 4 (A mix of different playstyles)

Mallet:
            No changes

Resonator:
            Same as Opt. 1

Metronome:
            Same as opt 2.

Amp:
            No changes

This would keep the AFK playstyle, but add viability for Resonator and Metronome making Octavia more suitable for other mission types.

The hope is that this a rework that would change Octavia as Limbo changed in his own rework. Making him more viable in other mission types.

17 minutes ago, Polkadog said:

So would a mix of Option 1 and 2 be something that would sound good?

Option 4 (A mix of different playstyles)

Mallet:
            No changes

Resonator:
            Same as Opt. 1

Metronome:
            Same as opt 2.

Amp:
            No changes

This would keep the AFK playstyle, but add viability for Resonator and Metronome making Octavia more suitable for other mission types.

The hope is that this a rework that would change Octavia as Limbo changed in his own rework. Making him more viable in other mission types.

Sure that would be fine. But still I dont think it is good to make DE revisit Octavia because she really is pretty OP 😛