The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Marked performance decrease in 64 bit mode

VerumVenari

I ran the game in 32-bit mode prior to the recent update. I have a 64-bit processor, but for a long time I was getting graphical hitches, FPS drops, and other performance issues like that; both open worlds were unplayable. Keeping all of my settings the same, I ran the game in 32-bit mode, and most of that cleared up: I got a steady 45-60 in most missions, with about 30 sometimes on Earth or the Plains (though Venus open world was still rough). The change to forced 64-bit mode reintroduced those previous problems.

This is an admittedly unreasonable problem to put at DE's doorstep, given that my processor is slower than the recommended minimum, and this just might be the end of Warframe for me. But, I do think it's worth noting that, even with the weak computer that I have, 32-bit was working wonderfully, and 64-bit much worse, however DE chooses to use that information. Maybe it helps them or someone else out after I'm gone.

13 hours ago, VerumVenari said:

I ran the game in 32-bit mode prior to the recent update. I have a 64-bit processor, but for a long time I was getting graphical hitches, FPS drops, and other performance issues like that; both open worlds were unplayable.

1. It might still be loading or initializing something which should only happen for the first few minutes of entering open worlds, make sure shader cache is on in AMD/Nvidia control panel to limit this from happening more then 1 or 2 times on the same open world.

2. How much does your RAM (random access memory) have? If 4 GB or less, upgrade computer's RAM to 8 GB if possible.

3. What graphics does your computer have? Try Texture memory of Low in graphics settings, or for desktop tower, get a newer graphics card, NVidia GTX 1050 4GB or AMD RX 550 4GB or better.

13 hours ago, VerumVenari said:

But, I do think it's worth noting that, even with the weak computer that I have, 32-bit was working wonderfully, and 64-bit much worse, however DE chooses to use that information. Maybe it helps them or someone else out after I'm gone.

The 32-bit architecture is outdated and GPU manufacturers are dropping support for it too. There is no logical reason for DE to continue supporting it. This change may well be implemented in newer games too. Your best solution would just be to upgrade the PC. Yes, I understand this may not be possible, but sooner or later you won’t have a lot of choice. That is, assuming you want to play the newest games.

Il y a 6 heures, sam686 a dit :

1. It might still be loading or initializing something which should only happen for the first few minutes of entering open worlds, make sure shader cache is on in AMD/Nvidia control panel to limit this from happening more then 1 or 2 times on the same open world.

2. How much does your RAM (random access memory) have? If 4 GB or less, upgrade computer's RAM to 8 GB if possible.

3. What graphics does your computer have? Try Texture memory of Low in graphics settings, or for desktop tower, get a newer graphics card, NVidia GTX 1050 4GB or AMD RX 550 4GB or better.

1. That's a good suggestion, thank you. I will look into doing that.

2. Yes, my computer has 4GB RAM. From what I can tell, computer and graphical RAM aren't the big issue on my end, and, related to your next point (3), I am comfortable running the game on very low settings. Currently, I have the resolution down scaled to 1024x768 with all settings on low, except for Trilinear Filtering, and Dynamic Resolution (which is on). My graphics card isn't great, but it exceeds the recommended minimum. I have an integrated DX 11.1 card.

Il y a 7 heures, krc473 a dit :

The 32-bit architecture is outdated and GPU manufacturers are dropping support for it too. There is no logical reason for DE to continue supporting it. This change may well be implemented in newer games too. Your best solution would just be to upgrade the PC. Yes, I understand this may not be possible, but sooner or later you won’t have a lot of choice. That is, assuming you want to play the newest games.

I understand that, and I don't fault DE for instituting a 64-bit baseline. No, I am not interested in playing newer games, or gaming widely. My main point was that, given that I have a computer that already runs a 64-bit OS and DX11, it seems odd that WF would run better in 32-bit mode, and then get hitches etc. in 64-bit mode. That's what I really wanted to note. Likely, there's some fairly obvious reason for that issue that I, given my middling ability with computers, don't understand. It's probably because my CPU is 4 cores and maxes at 1.5Ghz -- hence, there's a bottleneck there. I do wonder if there would be some way to alleviate that as an issue, though, because it seems like it's not a fundamental architecture problem (I think? given that mine is a 64-bit OS) but rather an issue with how and how much resources are being used. Anyway, your point is well taken: my computer is not good, and there's only so much working around that.

__

Thank you both for the replies.

3 hours ago, VerumVenari said:

That's what I really wanted to note. Likely, there's some fairly obvious reason for that issue that I, given my middling ability with computers, don't understand. It's probably because my CPU is 4 cores and maxes at 1.5Ghz

It’s likely just the 32 and 64 bit do not operate in exactly the same way.

Your issue appears to be the processor. DE recommends a 2.2 GHz dual core minimum. If you were able to overclock your CPU you could see and improvement. Although, I would not suggest you try it without doing adequate research first.