Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So I attempted your 60 min Challenge, DE...

(PSN)GrayFox878

On 2019-03-04 at 7:11 PM, (PS4)GrayFox878 said:

And at the 54 minute mark the host got a dc and when it migrated the mission timer bugged.

If your going waste my time by putting in a ridiculous 60 min challenges, DE, at least make sure bugs like this don't happen.

It's impossible to eradicate all bugs you say? Fine, then don't put in 60 mins challenges... 

I sincerely hope I can still get to reward level 30 of nightwave still, but I am NOT doing that crap again.

This sucks, I'm sorry it happened to you, but it is something that has happened to all of us. It's a multiplayer game on the internet. Sometimes things don't work out, but most of the time they do. Just gotta brush yourself off and get a solid group and do it again. The nightwave challenges are optional anyways. If you don't want to do them, don't. There's nothing in that list of rewards that you need or that won't be back at a later date if for some reason you just can't hit 30. The fact that there are people witch hunting a 60 minute mission is asinine, no matter the reason, for the simple fact that it's optional. 

15 hours ago, Nigolasy said:

You have to do about 60-65% of all challenges

Yes, I'm aware of that tweet. It doesn't answer the question you quoted however. "60-65% of challenges" is an incredibly vague term when different challenges have different values. Doubly so when you actually need 70% of all standing and 35% of all standing is locked behind Elite Weeklies, which constitute 23% of all challenges by pure count. By my count, Seteve's estimate is a significant lowball and I'd like to know what he based it on.

DE did post a similar response on the subreddit, but my take on the challenge is the following:

Personally, I like being challenged in Warframe, and I welcome the opportunity for challenge. In this respect, I liked the challenge inherent in doing a Survival run without using life support for an hour, even if the mission can indeed be made fairly easy with the right setup. However, in practice there have been problems in the implementation. Though I did complete the challenge (plus the Survival with Friends one), I ran into the following problems:

• I failed several runs due to the actions of my teammates, i.e. due to factors outside of my own control. Some teammates used Life Support even in premade groups where we all agreed to do the challenge, some teammates went AFK, and some simply got lost in the Kuva Fortress, causing us to run out of Life Support and fail the mission in combination with a bug that disabled the extraction timer (more on that below). Thankfully, I wasn't trolled (or at least I don't think I was), but many players have been reporting that happening as well, and I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. Thus, one of the main issues I took with this challenge is that it presents a personal challenge with personal rewards, but depends on the actions of others.
  • Some of my runs failed due to bad host migrations, and even my successful run was severely jeopardized by a bug that caused the extraction timer to disappear. During that full one-hour run, my single biggest fear was that one of my teammates would spontaneously disconnect at any moment. Thus, one of the ongoing problems with Warframe is that the game currently isn't technically stable enough to impose high stakes upon a prolonged, continuous session of play.
  • With regards to the "Survival with Friends" challenge, as with the "Sortie with Friends" challenge the week before, the challenge didn't make me go back to one of my friends or clanmates (particularly as I don't have clanmates), it just made me go to Recruiting, find a group of players looking to do the challenge, friend them all, do the run, then forget about my new "friends" immediately after. I didn't even do my Survival run with the same people I did the Sortie run with. With this in mind, challenges that try to force friendships are easy to complete without making any real friends, and thus may not be at all effective.

Point being, in an ideal world where players could have full control over how to complete all challenges, and could do so in a stable enough environment to not worry about crashing or bugging out at any given time, this week's Kuva Survival challenge could have been perfect. As it stands, however, the game breaks too easily after enough time, and the social component also tends to break down when it's imposed, rather than a simple matter of player choice free from negative consequences. I still think DE should aim to give us challenges via Nightwave, but they should avoid making us rely on others (or risking us fail due to the actions of others), and until the game is stable enough for the risk of failure via technical problems to be appropriately low, it should probably not make us stay in the same mission for too long either.

Best way to deal with awful hosts is to be the host himself, if you have a decent connection of course. Be sure you already invited someone and you'll most certainly be the host, this game does not care about your connection or whatever. How hosting is being managed is atrocious and should be reworked or at least improved, people with unstable connections shouldn't be host, ever - i've seen hosts with awfully unstable ping just because they were downloading who knows what while playing - that's just ridiculous.