The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Problems with ps4 controller and the new melee system

MarshallBallyhoo

same problem here, how could this have possibly made it into the patch? severe lack of testing.... blocking sounds like its totally broken... and the combos that require you to "block" ... please DE don't ruin my favorite melee game

Blocking and blocking combos are not broken. Blocking is now automatic if the melee weapon is out but the cone is shortened to 45' because it's automatic. Combos that formerly required holding right mouse to block, continue to require right mouse for the combo even though that's technically the aim glide button.

Gamepads in general are super broken right now though. I imagine more of this will be sorted out as we get closer to the console release of this build for obvious reasons. I don't know what's going on with the other pads, maybe even a similar problem, but I think the problem with the Steam one in particular (or anyone with any pad using Steam's Input system) is it's use of Steam Input's Action Sets, which are a great feature, but they change your binds based on the current 'mode' and gun mode and melee mode are separate, and I think what's happening is melee mode is reliant on actions from the Gun Mode action set now, which aren't available in Melee Mode and the old Melee Mode actions aren't being checked for anything anymore as they're deprecated, so once you pull out the melee weapon the triggers and most of the face buttons stop doing anything.

I think a solution to this is either make the gun mode actions functional in melee and update the default controller profile to reflect this and just remove the deprecated melee actions in the melee mode set and add the actions from gun mode that are missing back which would be the more polished fix anyway as it would allow people to continue having a melee and gun mode action set that are possibly slightly different if they choose to do so, which might be unusual on the standard xinput pads but not something a Steam controller user that's an enthusiast and tweaks things a lot may not do haha.

The slightly less polished fix, would be removing the Melee Mode action set all together and just using the Gun Mode one so these weapon types aren't differentiated.

But yeah I dunno, I guess it sounds like most pads are broken, but it sounds like they're all broken in a similar fashion so it wouldn't surprise me if they all use a similar thing to Steam's Input handling and it's broken for every controller because the Melee action set (or whatever the xinput name for an action set is) isn't handled right. At least that's what I think is happening.