The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Particle Effects Tanking FPS after most recent patch

EnvoyOne

Firing weapons with dense particle effects (GAZE kitgun, for example) drops my FPS from 165 (which I have locked to the refresh rate of my monitor with G-Sync) down to ~30 FPS after the most recent patch.

There was always some amount of FPS loss in intense moments of particle density but nothing like this. It also seems to be intermittent and somewhat hard to reproduce, but it's extremely obvious when it occurs.

On 2019-03-10 at 3:59 AM, JaxMess said:

Firing weapons with dense particle effects (GAZE kitgun, for example) drops my FPS from 165 (which I have locked to the refresh rate of my monitor with G-Sync) down to ~30 FPS after the most recent patch.

There was always some amount of FPS loss in intense moments of particle density but nothing like this. It also seems to be intermittent and somewhat hard to reproduce, but it's extremely obvious when it occurs.

After taking a closer look it appears that we can reduce the particle count for the GAZE kitgun. We'll try to improve performance with this gun with minimal impact on appearance. Thanks for letting us know!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a RTX 2070 and 16 gig RAM, I can have a steady 144 FPS running warframes at max graphics at a 2560x1440 resolution yet the moment I fire my gaze kitgun against an enemy or surface and it emits particles, my FPS can go as down as 40-60. The issue is still not fixed. @[DE]Linkski

Edited by VieuxPappy

On 2019-03-11 at 1:29 PM, [DE]Linkski said:

After taking a closer look it appears that we can reduce the particle count for the GAZE kitgun. We'll try to improve performance with this gun with minimal impact on appearance. Thanks for letting us know!

If it helps narrow down the issue: I observed that the Gaze kitgun doesn't cause any performance issues while FIRING the weapon. As long as I'm holding the beam, I can spray ludicrous particles with no performance hit at all. As soon as I RELEASE the trigger, then my FPS tanks. There's something about the particle calculations after the beam is done that's breaking things.

Additionally, there is no performance loss at all while particle quantity is set to Medium or Low. I'm assuming that's because High and Ludicrous are generating different kinds of particles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed slightly higher average FPS recently, but the problem still persists. As monkey king states it doesn't seem to happen much while firing, but as soon as you let go FPS tanks. I have had a few that seem even more strange: while watching the FPS counter when trying to induce the drop, when it works the FPS drops consistently almost like a counter counting down and once it hits 0-FPS it "resets" and the game instantly goes back to 165-FPS. Very strange.

It's also important to note that the GAZE kitgun, with it's full previous particle effects, didn't do this until the melee 2.99997 update. In fact, I remember noting how little the particle effects seemed to have on FPS when I first built my GAZE.