Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which Of These 3 Weapons Should I Use My Catalyst On?

KiloFoxx

Question

i have 2 catalysts to use, and 4 weapons i can supercharge...

the supercharged weapons i DO have:

Dual Skana L30

Hek L14

Strun L30

Akbolto L30

My frames

Ash ( L22 Supercharged)

Frost ( L30 Supercahrged)

(in about 2.5 days) Nyx, not-supercahrged

i'm crafting the Kraken and i KNOW i'll supercharge that, so that's 1 catalyst gone...

i CAN supercharge the following weapons

Braton Vandal (unranked)

Boltor (L30)

Dual Heat Swords (L30)

As you can probobly tell, i'm mostly a shotgunner/melee, and tend to not like full-auto. i've found my Dual Skana to be much stronger than the Dual heat Swords (until polearms come out i refuse to use any melee other than dual-weild), but i like how much they stagger compared to the Skana (which also stagger quite often). the Boltor i enjoyed using, but really only used it to hit rank 4 to get the Hek, and i'd feel guilty selling it because i spent so much time getting it crafted and leveled. i bought the Vandal because well, it's only 1Cr and it's this-weekend only, and it actually looks nice visually. i rather doubt i'll ever use it, but who knows.

i almost never main anything other than a shotgun, and the Heat Swords realy only get to shine during infested missions, anywhere else my Dual Skana are far superior (unless supercharging it brings it up to the Skana's level) so i really don't know what i'd put it on. and i figure by the next time a new weapon is introduced, i'll have another catalyst. so i souldn't need to save it.

opinions fellow Tenno?

EDIT: seriously guys... i didn't think i'd have this problem on these forums but apparently i do. READ the damn post before replying to it. you look like a jackass when you don't. i'm asking about THOSE THREE weapons IN PARTICULAR. i ALREADY looked through the stats of EVERYTHING else and i KNOW what i want to use.

Edited by KiloFoxx

19 answers to this question

Pistol upgrades don't seem as valuable at the moment since there are so few mod slots available. Of the items you listed I would probably choose Dual Heat Swords but you already have that weapon style covered with Dual Skana. Why not consider a blunt melee weapon more effective vs. other enemies besides infested? I like Furax, it ignores armor and I can smash heavies and ancients especially with charged attack. Or perhaps a ranged rifle like Gorgon or Snipetron...

Pistol upgrades don't seem as valuable at the moment since there are so few mod slots available. Of the items you listed I would probably choose Dual Heat Swords but you already have that weapon style covered with Dual Skana. Why not consider a blunt melee weapon more effective vs. other enemies besides infested? I like Furax, it ignores armor and I can smash heavies and ancients especially with charged attack. Or perhaps a ranged rifle like Gorgon or Snipetron...

i actually used to have the Bo, it was fun, but i use my Akbolto when i want to ignore armour, and i play with my friends a lot, so we already have 2 heavy weapon uses, possibly 3. our "Healer" (trinity) will be using a Bo, Rhino will be using Gram/Scindo, and Volt will be using Dual Zoren/Scindo. leaving me for stunlocking and melee SPEED rather than power. Rino will also e using the Gorgon, and Volt uses Boltor. Trinity will likely be using the Braton Vandal or the Latron. MAYBE the Sniptron if he likes it, which leaves me in the role of a shotgunner. (i'll be swapping between a support tank as Frost and a CC damager as Nyx, Ash feels better suited for small parites or soloing to me)

but yeah... i already know what i'll have as my main setup, (Hek, Akbolto/Kraken, and Dual Skana, maybe Dual heat Swords for Infested maps) it's really just a question of what do i wanna supercharge as a sub-weapon?

u should use snıpetron.ı have ıt and ı almost ınstakıll every enemy *not bosses* ıts really funny. the enemys rush towards u and u kıll them 1 by 1 wıthın 10 seconds

you specifically went and ignored that i'm a shotgunner didn't you?

Listen to PieBoy, that's decent advice.

Even Boltor can't compete with Gorgon. (my r30 Boltor with relatively fine mods is barely over scratch to my r24 Gorgon with stupid mods)

P.s. Why would you take Braton if you had access to Gorgon/Boltor?

Edit : Supercharging a pistol may be fun, but let's keep in mind that it's not particularly relevant.

Edited by FlameLaevateinn

In my honest opinion, don't supercharge any of those. Instead of Boltor get a Gorgon. It's way better in every aspect. Dual Heat Sword is apparently a terrible melee weapon based on the majority of people I seen post about it.

except A) i LOATHE LMGs in EVERY aspect(somethign i believe i mentioned), and B) i play a role in my team. the SHOTGUNNER. as i mentioned in my original post. i hate it when people don't read before replying.

Listen to PieBoy, that's decent advice.

Even Boltor can't compete with Gorgon. (my r30 Boltor with relatively fine mods is barely over scratch to my r24 Gorgon with stupid mods)

P.s. Why would you take Braton if you had access to Gorgon/Boltor?

Edit : Supercharging a pistol may be fun, but let's keep in mind that it's not particularly relevant.

see above

and i bought the Braton Vandal because A) it actually dosn't look half bad visually, and B) it's exclusive this weekend only. nothing quite like being able to pull out a mostly unique weapon for the envy of others who don't have it because they joined too late.

except A) i LOATHE LMGs in EVERY aspect(somethign i believe i mentioned), and B) i play a role in my team. the SHOTGUNNER. as i mentioned in my original post. i hate it when people don't read before replying.

see above

and i bought the Braton Vandal because A) it actually dosn't look half bad visually, and B) it's exclusive this weekend only. nothing quite like being able to pull out a mostly unique weapon for the envy of others who don't have it because they joined too late.

I've read what you written. You say you're a shot gunner yet you have a boltor which is an automatic rifle. In this game there no difference between an Automatic rifle and the gorgon (MG/Minigun) not that I know of any. Which is why I said get a gorgon instead of supercharging your boltor. Otherwise don't super charge any of those weapon. Save your catalyst since they're hard to come by at the moment unless of course you buy plat.

I've read what you written. You say you're a shot gunner yet you have a boltor which is an automatic rifle. In this game there no difference between an Automatic rifle and the gorgon (MG/Minigun) not that I know of any. Which is why I said get a gorgon instead of supercharging your boltor. Otherwise don't super charge any of those weapon. Save your catalyst since they're hard to come by at the moment unless of course you buy plat.

name='KiloFoxx' timestamp='1360951317' post='87757']

the Boltor i enjoyed using, but really only used it to hit rank 4 to get the Hek, and i'd feel guilty selling it because i spent so much time getting it crafted and leveled.

read my full post obviously you did not.

as i mentioned, i hate full-auto weapons and the Boltor had something that no other rifle did. (aside from nat armour piercing that i didn't know of at the time) and that was the ability to pin enemies to walls, the hilarity of which more than made up for my griping about using a fully automatic weapon.

it is one of only 2 fully automatic weapons i have EVER enjoyed using, the other being the FN P-90 from modern war shooters.

we already have a Light Machine Gunner, he runs a Rhino, we already have a marksman, he runs Trinity, and we already have someone with a regular assault weapon, he runs Volt/Ember. i run point and use the shotgun to round out the team.

Edited by KiloFoxx

read my full post obviously you did not.

as i mentioned, i hate full-auto weapons and the Boltor had something that no other rifle did. (aside from nat armour piercing that i didn't know of at the time) and that was the ability to pin enemies to walls, the hilarity of which more than made up for my griping about using a fully automatic weapon.

it is one of only 2 fully automatic weapons i have EVER enjoyed using, the other being the FN P-90 from modern war shooters.

we already have a Light Machine Gunner, he runs a Rhino, we already have a marksman, he runs Trinity, and we already have someone with a regular assault weapon, he runs Volt/Ember. i run point and use the shotgun to round out the team.

Boltor only pins after it kills something which isn't very useful in my opinion. To be completely honest it's not a bad idea to have an extra gorgon on your team. The more DPS the merrier. I play with my friends as well and we're set up pretty much like yours. Ember with a sniper 1 shot all regular mobs in boss room. Volt with shotgun keep boss's shield down, Trinity with a Latron doing massive damage per shot, and then there me the Ash with a gorgon that Rips through the boss hp and shield. Sometimes my snipetron friend would use a gorgon as well and we just kill the boss that much faster.

Boltor only pins after it kills something which isn't very useful in my opinion. To be completely honest it's not a bad idea to have an extra gorgon on your team. The more DPS the merrier. I play with my friends as well and we're set up pretty much like yours. Ember with a sniper 1 shot all regular mobs in boss room. Volt with shotgun keep boss's shield down, Trinity with a Latron doing massive damage per shot, and then there me the Ash with a gorgon that Rips through the boss hp and shield. Sometimes my snipetron friend would use a gorgon as well and we just kill the boss that much faster.

you have no tank unit on your setup...

i also don't typically use my Shotty during boss fights, my Akbolto tend to do more damage against grineer bosses. i only fight infested and corpus bosses if i have to, and that's fairly rare TBH, the only ones that i ever need to run apart from farming Nyx for my friends if they want her is Golem and Hyena for warframe crafting parts (as i can craft almost every warframe by now. i have almost all the BPs) and they were easy with my Strun (i could practially solo them with a worse build) i can't IMAGINE how easy they'll be with the Hek fully leveled. it's already starting to rival my Strun at level 18 or so. (i guess that's why it's locked until rank 4) in fact, i've noticed that back when i had my Strun only, i'd consistently deal the most party damage EVEN WITH people weilding the Gorgon. so you're really not making a good case to try and convert me to Gorgon, which wouldn't happen anyway because of my loathing for LMGs.

apart from the Dual Heat Swords, which i really only use on Infested runs for their AoE fire damage (melee fire mods are SO rare) i literally rarely, if ever use the boltor or the Vandal. which makes a strong case for the DHS over the other 2 weapons, but if supercharging it really dosn't make much differnce, then IDK if i should. i superchargbed my Dual Skana, and before doing that i believe they were comprable in power to the DHS as they are now, L30 un charged. so i'd assume that supercharging them would bring them up to par with my DS.

also Rhino runs the Gram, Volt runs Scindo/Dual Zoren, and Trinity runs the Bo staff. so me using the dual swords rounds it ot nicely, and fits with my playstyle because other than polearms (which arn't in the game yet, if ever) i will ONLY use dual-blades. i'm sure their sidearms are subject to change what with the kraken out, but Rhino runs Afurus, Volt runs Aklato, and Trinity runs the Sicarus (i can almost guarantee he'll swap to Kraken as he's not linking the sicarus very much)

i would also like to keep the rifle users to a minimum, seeing as there's limited ammo drops that arn't shared. so i get ALL the shotgun drops, Rhino and Volt split the Rifle drops, and Trinity gets all the Sniper drops. if we have 3 or even 4 riflemen, we'll all run out of ammo too fast simply from there being too many rifle users and not enough ammo drops.

Braton Vandal (unranked)

Boltor (L30)

Dual Heat Swords (L30)

There's no point in supercharging a weapon that you won't use, and from the rest of your post it sounds like you don't really plan on using these weapons. If there is one that you plan to keep using, supercharge that one. Otherwise, you may as well hold onto the catalyst.

*edit* Sounds like you do still use the DHS from time to time. MIght as well supercharge that one.

Edited by Fretless

The best idea to use the catalyst on is the Dual heat swords, And the Kraken, Im not sure about wich machine gun is the best.. But i'd say the Kraken is the best pistol, im building it at the moment, and the Heat swords are @(*()$ amazing, Super charge them xD

The best idea to use the catalyst on is the Dual heat swords, And the Kraken, Im not sure about wich machine gun is the best.. But i'd say the Kraken is the best pistol, im building it at the moment, and the Heat swords are @(*()$ amazing, Super charge them xD

i supercharged the Kraken (as planned) right as it came out of the Foundry... and i decided to throw my spare Catalyst on my DHS because even theough i only use them on infected missions, that's more use than the Vandal or the Boltor get...

it's somewhere around level 20 ATM, and i have to say it's underwhelming compared to my L30 supercharged) Akbolto certainly better than all other handguns, MAYBE on-par with Aklato, but against the Akbolto? so far the Akbolto win out in every way excpet availability. they're a LOT harder to craft

Edited by KiloFoxx