Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Potential fix for waypoint/marker system

AndouRaiton

So, originally i was planning on posting this as a reply to this thread:

But i decided that was a waste as people from DE probably won't look at it. Instead i have decided to put it here.

For context, i'm a game developer and programmer, not part of DE.

From what i can see, what the current waypoint system does is first search whether you are in the correct room; If you are not in the right room, it will try and determine which "doorway" you should go through.

BUT here's the kicker, "doorways" don't just include doors, they include archways/holes, which is necessary for navigating places without doors like on Earth tile sets.

HOWEVER, there are also lots of pointless archways the current system points to, such as in a certain corpus tile with breakable glass or in Lua as well.

After figuring out that you are in the wrong room it will give a recommended route by selecting the path way with the least amount of rooms to get to the objective from where you are that will be recalculated whenever you go through a "doorway".

When it checks the player's current position and then that of the closest "doorway" which leads to the correct room, it can lead to loops if the player is in an "odd" position where it may be closer to another door which has the same amount of rooms to get to the objective as the previous route.

Further, because it recalculates after every doorway, it does not remember where you were last headed (i.e. the room you were in last). This further increases the chance of loops forming.

So, as we can see, the most likely area causing the problem is that it doesn't remember the previous room; which isn't that big of a problem unless the room has multiple "doorways" that lead in the same direction.

So there are 2 possible solutions i can see; the first is to edit the multiple archways in tiles to be recognized as a single doorway or not recognized at all, this is the quick and dirty fix that might work for some tiles but not for others. The second is to modify the system to remember the room you were just in and recognize which doorways lead to said room and take them out of the list of possible searchable doorways, this would be the ideal solution, BUT will take quite some time to implement and test for it to work properly.

Hope this helps you guys at DE.

EDIT: i'm not going to mention Archwing waypoints here as those have completely different problems. There is also a bug, from what  i can tell, that is cause by the system failing to work for things like extraction and targets where the system fails to identify any and all doorways and just point to the direction of the waypoint via world coordinates instead of via rooms.

Edited by AndouRaiton